Advertising

View topic - Bon echo - car camping

It is currently July 24th, 2014, 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bon echo - car camping
PostPosted: February 12th, 2007, 9:28 pm 

Does anyone know where I could find good private sites at Bon echo? Going car camping and gotta book soon. A nice view wouldn't hurt either. Is there a website that gives good descriptions of the campsites.
Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13th, 2007, 6:51 am 

The Ontario Parks webiste does what you ask. It rates privacy and tells you important info such as amount of road traffic and pedestrian traffic.
I have found that while the descriptions are not perfect they are pretty darn close.

Bon Echo is a beautiful park. Make sure you get out in on Mazinaw in your canoe and check out the the cliff face.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13th, 2007, 8:03 am 

My favorites are the walk in sites.... 164-168

http://www.camis.com/OP/camping/maps.asp?map=43
they are part of the Mazinaw campground...
along the lake with as much seperation as the best car camping sites with the added benifit that all cars are at least 100 to 400 meters away
the tent pads are good

to check availablility you have to go through the reservations page at
www.parksontario.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13th, 2007, 10:39 am 

Thanks for the help. Will bring the canoe for sure.

Those walk in sites sound nice and they look pretty close to the parking on the map.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13th, 2007, 11:18 am 

Clubber try the hike-in sites as Gail mentioned - I think that might be the same block of sites I was thinking of. They are only a few hundred meters from the parking area but offer a more private experience. We hiked up and checked a few of them out and they were quite nice. There are also some nice canoe-in sites on Joe Perry Lake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13th, 2007, 2:28 pm 

I have never camped in Bon Echo, but have visited several times. The Hardwood Hills campground have the best secluded campsites I have seen in any park. The draw back is that you are no where near the lake, but for site privacy I don't think it can be beat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13th, 2007, 2:28 pm 

I'd love to canoe in but my wife won't do it with the 1 year old which I can appreciate. I prefer canoe camping, she prefers the convenience of car camping so I like this 200 meter from your car business. It sounds like a nice option that'll please us both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13th, 2007, 3:27 pm 

Take her for a "scouting" trip to Joe Perry while you're there...once she see's the destination it might be easier to convice her to try it on your next outing....after that try a booked site in Massasauga or Shall lake in Algonquin......

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 19th, 2007, 7:20 pm 

We camped in Bon Echo with our 3yo last year, and it was great! She loved the main beach and the park store, and we got to day trip to the beach in Joe Perry Lake for her first canoe ride.

Site 426 - It was a walk in site, but only about 20m from the parking. Huge site, good privacy and close enough to the facilities... but not too close.

Showers were nice and no line ups too...

Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 19th, 2007, 11:30 pm 

Another option is using the ACC site (I spent a fair number of my childhood weekends there). See http://www.climbers.org/bonecho for details - it's outside the park, and you actually do need to tent - the hut is there for cooking, cards, and post-climb embellishments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2007, 12:57 am 

Hey Clubber,
My wife and I have car camped at Bon Echo a few times. I would strongly suggest against camping at Hardwood Hills (old section) of park, unless you have an affinity to mosquitos. I was thinking along the same lines as Dave H. when I booked our last trip there, only to be bitten so bad, I was in the beginning stages of shock. Didn't take us long to relocate to the Mazinaw campground, which was terrific. Unfortunately, I don't remember which site we stayed at. If you get a chance, make sure you climb to the top of Mazinaw Rock. The view is worth the climb. If you manage a paddle in Joe Perry, try trolling through the narrows and see if moby dick is still there. My son latched onto him a couple years ago and 3 lures and couple hours later, we still hadn't landed the bugger. We think it might have been a big ole muskie. Couldn't even get him off the bottom. He almost spooled my son, when he took off for deeper water. I think he's been there a long time and I hope he remains.

Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2007, 10:06 am 

Maybe he hooked onto the fabled Mazinaw Monster, some sort of prehistoric throw back that gets sighted each year as it lurks out of depths of Southern Ontario's deepest lake, some 470 ft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2007, 1:32 pm 

I think we are leaning to Hardwood hills because the walk-ins at Mazinaw are all booked...already.
Is there a swamp or something at hardwood? Why are the mosquitoes bad up there and not down near the water???

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2007, 1:37 pm 

I think we are leaning to Hardwood hills because the walk-ins at Mazinaw are all booked...already.
Is there a swamp or something at hardwood? Why are the mosquitoes bad up there and not down near the water???

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2007, 1:54 pm 

We car camped in Hardwood Hills when our kids were young on two different occasions, once end of July then August. Mosquitoes were not a problem from what I remember. Perhaps the time of year or a wet summer can make them worse. If you are car camping a screened kitchen tent could be an oasis should the mossies prove thick.

If you check out Joe Perry on a sunny warm day look near the beach and rocks for 5 lined skinks. The kids were amazed at the metalic blue colouring.