View topic - Mclennan Lakes route

It is currently February 18th, 2019, 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mclennan Lakes route
PostPosted: February 6th, 2019, 11:10 pm 

Hey all,

Id like to formulate a route beginning and ending on Mclennan lake that will take me 5 days. I have the 1-50 000 map so i can follow along with your suggestions. It will be with some novice friends, but they are ok paddling a full day. thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Mclennan Lakes route
PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 7:39 am 

Chukknorris, do you know about the GoTrekker Canoeing map for the McLennan Lake area? It's been put together by Ric Driediger at Churchill River Canoe Outfitters, and it shows about 20 routes for the area that you can pick/choose from.

Here is a link to the site that sells them https://www.gotrekkers.com/maclennan-la ... canoe-map/

You will have no problem choosing a 5 day route using this map. I've paddled in that area a few times, and it is my favourite place to paddle. There is no "technical" water that novices should be concerned about, but some portages can be demanding given the fires and blowdown/snowdown that are common there, but that's paddling life in the boreal forest.

Great choice of a paddling area.

Ubique

PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 10:27 am 

thanks, I'll check it out.

odd question, are you RCHA?

PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 5:50 pm 

RCHA? - No, my parents were married.

I'm a retired Sapper. Guy Fawkes has been the mascot of EOD/IEDD operators (like me) within the Sappers for a long, long time before he was identified with anti-globalist anarchist types. And, 041 was my military occupation code.

The map I mention above lists, as I said, about 20 odd routes through the interconnected lakes around McLennan Lake. Campsites (unofficial, this is all Crown Land up there, and undeveloped), and portages with lengths are listed.

Some routes are a few days in length, and some are more than a week or two. It's easy to plot your own desired route using the info on those maps. You can get plain paper copies, or waterproof paper copies.

They also show the recently burned areas up to about last year. Not perfect, but very useful map at a reasonable price and with quick delivery.

I am accustomed to using military maps (MGRS system), and I can vouch that for canoe tripping, this GoTrekker map beats any mil geo product.

Chimo!

Ubique

PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 7:11 pm 

guyfawkes041 has given you very good advice. The possibilities are almost endless. Even on the 1:50 000 map, you can make plans but Ric's maps are very helpful and include quite a few possible campsites and portage locations and lengths. Well worth the price.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2019, 11:24 am 

Is there any way of determining which McLennan this lake was named after?

PostPosted: February 8th, 2019, 1:02 pm 

There is a website established by an organization called the Saskatchewan Geo-Memorial Project which lists geographic features, including lakes, in Saskatchewan that have been named after Canadian Military personnel who died on duty.

It can be found at this link: http://www.sasksearch.com/maps/remembrance.php and it lists 2 McLennan's, an Alexander C, and a James E. McLennan. When one clicks on these names a map opens up which shows location markers for each off to the northeast of McLennan Lake by a few kms. When one clicks on the marker for Alexander C McLennan, a window opens which lists that it was he who the McLennan Lakes were named after. He was a Private in the Canadian Army who hailed from North Battleford, and he died in 1949.

I think that Ric Driediger of Churchill River Canoe Outfitters would likely be someone who may know more about the history of the naming of that lake and others in the region, as few people alive know more about that general area than Ric.

Researching the names of lakes and rivers would be an interesting sidebar to canoe tripping, if one had the time.

Cheers!

Ubique

PostPosted: February 8th, 2019, 9:49 pm 

chukknorris
You could also drop Ric an email and outline your parameters. He might have a suggestion.
If I get some time in the next few days I'll haul out my map and have a look (such a hardship!).

PostPosted: February 9th, 2019, 6:23 pm 

chukknorris,
I got out my gotrekkers map of McLennan Lake to have a look. Just so you have a baseline, following are some of the trips listed on Ric's map with distances and approximate time - fwiw.
Most of the portages are good. Most are quite short - 100-300 m. Conditions can vary depending on fire and usage and water levels.

We did what Ric calls the Big Circle Route - McLennan, Cratty, MacLean, then north to Calder,(rock paintings between these two), Buchanan, Hornet, Settee, Colin (then Gowrie Bay of Colin), Versailles, Minuhik, Davis, McLennan. Ric lists this as 83 km, 14 portages, about 35 hours of paddling and portaging. We were 4 adults with a 10 year old and a 13 year old and we took 7 days. We didn't rush and didn't have long days. The longest portage was just over 400m. Nice Trip.

He lists a Small Circle Route - McLennan, Cratty, MacLean, Hutchings, Versailles, Minuhik, Davis, McLennan - 45 km, 9 portages, about 20 hours of paddling and portaging.

There is a Smaller Circle Route - 18 km, 5 portages, about 9 hours paddling and portaging - McLennan, SE through some ponds to Fowell Lake then Cushon Bay of Davis Lake, then McLennan.

Note that you can go further north at Buchanan Lake, further east, north and south from Settee Lake, further south from Versailles Lake or Collin Lake or Minuhik Lake - lots and lots of possibilities.

Hopefully, this will give you some idea of the area including the approximate time it takes to paddle and portage.
If you have questions, please ask.
Have fun!

PostPosted: February 9th, 2019, 10:18 pm 

awesome, thankyou,

i also bought a ric map and I've been studying my 1:50k.

I'm looking at 4-5 day paddle so i might have to custom tailor a route