View topic - just returned from the Lievre and Bazin

It is currently February 17th, 2019, 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 6th, 2006, 3:55 pm 

Great rivers, great trip. Some of the best whitewater around. We spent 5 days on the Lievre and 2 days on the Bazin finishing on the Gatineau. Both at a relaxed pace. The blackflies were absolutely horrific, and the mosquitoes were gathering strength too but that's to be expected this time of year. Water on the Lievre averaged around 100 for our trip. Good level, but I wouldn't want too much more water. Here are a few pictures

Nice RII run

Nice RIV sneak

Nice RIII run

The one portage on the Lievre is a little rough

Recovering after an SIII upset (one of several)

4 canoes on the van

Scenery on the Bazin

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2006, 7:03 pm 

Do you have an idea how late in the season this can be run? The rapides look very nice. Good shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2006, 7:31 pm 

You can find the gauge for the Lievre here:

http://www.cehq.gouv.qc.ca/suivihydro/g ... ion=040624

Anything over 60 is fine for sure, based on this trip I would say that anything over 120 would be difficult for tripping boats.

The rapids on the Bazin are more technical (but shorter) and maybe not so nice at lower water levels.

Post subject: Lievre
PostPosted: June 12th, 2006, 10:11 am 

DougB,
Nice pics..
Did you paddle the Lievre section that we can found at

http://192.77.51.2/~cleduc/Canot/04/Lie ... mandie.pdf
on Charles Leduc site (cartepleinair.org) ??

I paddled it from KM315 to KM260 4-5 years ago in 2 days.(september).. was very low but still good... probably 30-50 m3/sec??? don't remember... but I know that it is canoeable all summer long even at very low level... I keep a really good souvenir of it... Leaving it we dreamed of running it again in June at high level...

Are now considering it again for next week (June 20th to 24th) as a plan B...
Our first choice is the Pikauba near Lac St-Jean region.. the level was too low last week, is actually perfect.. but will it be OK next week?
The Upper batiscan (again) would be a thrid choice...

Any way of adding a day or two so we could be 4 nights, 5 days on the river?
Did you usae the takeout ponit at KM260 (down the gravel road going downhill to the river? How was the road? We add great problem "climbing" back to the road with our minivan at the time...
Thanks

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2006, 12:04 pm 

Yes we used the maps from Charles Leduc (they are all you need).

We started at km318 Lac Orthes, we intended to put-in on Lac Adonis and arrived there about midnight camping across from the lodge (la pourvoire des 100 lacs), were woken up by the pissed off lodge owner who chased us off and threatened to be "very angry" if he found us on "his" lake. It might be possible to access Lac Adonis via the old trail at the south end but it would be a long carry past the very messy garbage dump.

One could also start at Lac Nemiscachingue (I did a few years ago), it's a much longer shuttle, adds about 30km, one portage and a few rapids.

km315 to km260 in two days! You must move very fast although at low water it would be quicker.

We ended at km260, the road up the hill is not too bad, had no trouble in my Safari van with 4 canoes & 4 people on board, a little bumpy and the gravel is somewhat loose but slow and steady was no trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2006, 12:19 pm 

Tim,

Lac Adonis.... I think his exact words were "I'm very angry, you don't want to see me when I'm angry" to which another remember of our group replied "yeah, okay, whatever, we'll leave then". That upset him more! Too bad I slept through that part. The ATV roaring away is what woke me up.

Starting at 318 adds three nice rapids to the trip. It's a nice put in.... easy road, area to camp and park too. Just take your time and stretch it out to 4 days... maybe re-run some of the rapids. The take out wasn't bad at all.... we also got a Subaru Forester up the hill no problem.

High water was a lot of fun... I see the guage is back up to 120.... just watch out for some of those SIV ledges.... right Ben? I hear they can sneak up on you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2006, 12:54 pm 

the SIV's were not the problem....it's sleeping while going through the CI's sideways that was the bigger problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2006, 1:51 pm 

Ben,

...in your opinion - is it possible to start Lievre trip at Lac a la Culotte? ...it looks like there are two roads to get there - one leads to most southern Lac Culotte point and another - to some point midway between Lac Culotte and Lac Toulouse - starting over there could add some nice rapids to the trip (it looks like that stream between Lac Culotte and Lac Adonis is one non-stop rapid)...

Gene

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2006, 2:28 pm 

Gene

Yes it's probably possible, I would guess the road to the southern tip would be best, I've haven't checked it myself but there is new/recent construction there (just hope the occupants and more friendly than on Lac Adonis).

There are some good rapids between there and Lac Adonis but the last one must be portaged (there is a short trail, maybe 300 metres if memory serves).

The road access to Lac Toulouse must be good as well as there are a number of cabins there and a very ugly/dirty campsite.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2006, 2:58 pm 

Thanks for the details...
When paddled in 2 days, we arrived at the put-in at 2 o'clock in the mornig, slept for 4 hours, paddle all day, slept at KM278 (so 37km in a day, paddling solo, got off the water by 11h00 the following day, drove to Bouchette where we slept at the takeout of the Gatineau Festival section, ran the Gatineau the next day, drove home...
This is without saying that prior to this canoeing trip , I spend 3 weeks across NB, PEI, NS CapeBreton Island... I got back home with the familly around 2 PM , leaving with my canoe gear at 4pm... this is why we arrived at 2 in the mornig on the Lièvre... !!! I wouldn't do this again... getting too old I guess...

I looked at Google Earth for other acces (the ones seen on Charles'smap)... unfortunatly without succes... the road are probaly not that good, don't know...??? Longer shuttle certainly!
If we choose at the last minute to go on the Lievre, a call at ZECNormandie could help us finding a good road..

Will love to ran it again at high level... but still dreaming about the Pikauba!
Thanks again nyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2006, 7:50 am 

Gene,

We went down the lievre in mid May of this year, and we started our trip at Lac Cullote. Road to Lac Cullote is not bad, but a four wheel drive vechile would be benefitial, if not required in some areas. Steep hills and loose gravel/rocks on the road were the main difficulties. We had an SUV so it made things a little easier. Water levels during our trip started around 130 and reached as low as 110. Lots of standing waves, and in some of the rapids, the high water made it difficult to manovere due to the strong current. By starting at Lac Cullote you can add a couple of more days to your trip. The locals say that this section (Lac Cullote to km 260) is typically done in four days. We took seven easy days which allowed us to take our time and have 2 layover days. If I ever get our pictures from one of the guys from our trip, I will try to post. There are definitely some great rapids on this river.

Tim,

If you end up going down the Pikauba (Chicoutimi) , let me know the details as this is a river that we have been thinking of doing also.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2006, 8:49 am 

Sweever,
Pikauba is very low today.. and will probably next week too :evil:
http://www.cehq.gouv.qc.ca/Suivihydro/g ... ion=061022
Been dreaming about this one for several months now... many long class3-4 section... 4-5 days on the river... :clap:

Our minimal limit is 20 cms...without heavy rain like last wekend... definitly not...
The other thing about the Pikauba... is that the river is not maintained by the Reserve faunique des Laurentides...

Two weeks ago I send an email to the reserve office for camping fees, fishing rights,etc... Mr Baribeau (reserve officer?) was not very responsive at first when asked for permission to go on the Pikauba... We had to send a letter explaining the planning of our trip (put-in and takeout point, schedule, party members, equipment list, ... plus a copy of our FQCKmembership... he told me the acces to the river will easily be given to canoeing club member, so that they have a proof of "competence"... So I had to explained that we are solid paddler, well equipped...and so on... I just received the written autorisation this morning... but I'll have to call him back to cancel our trip...

We are know planning for the Lièvre, being on the river June 22-23-24... since there will be real heavy traffic on HW15 on sunday... took us 6 hours (Mont-Laurier to Montreal) last time on a Labor day weekend ...we plan to leave the river sunday morning after camping at takout...if we get off the river earlier... probably tempting L'anus de Lucifer on the Gatineau ... ???will see???

BUT!!! is it worth the shuttle to add the upper section (Lac Culotte to Adonis lake) on a WW basis only???
How difficult it is to find the right road to lac culotte?

Thanks
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2006, 7:21 am 

Tim,

That section between km328 and 325 is a nice run, however, is it worth the extra shuttle time and approximately 12-15km of flat water on a purely WW basis, I'm not sure of that. For us it was worth it because we had lots of time and were taking a leisurely pace and typically don't go a long distance on day one. As per the road, there are several signs along the road at every intersection which indicates which way Lac Cullote is. Also, as I said previously, the road was in fair condition when we went and a four wheel drive vechile can make it without difficulty.

The class 3 just before the SIV at km325 was very fast at the time of our trip and we had one canoe go over in the class 3 and could not pull the canoe to shore quickly enough due to the current. The canoe ended up going over the SIV and did some damage to our skirt and front end. The SIV is a definite portage. In early May this portage was muddy at many locations, however the trial itself was fairly clear.

Just a note, the other portage trails along the route had not been cleared at the time of our trip. Lots of downed trees

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2006, 8:24 am 

sweever.,
thanks again... so helpful...
Finally we've decide to start at km318... thursday and use the normal takeout at km260... probaly finishing by saturday...

What about the Mitchinamecus river downstream of the dam (some 10km noth of the takeout of the Lievre) ? heard of it?

http://192.77.51.2/~cleduc/Canot/04/Mit ... uriers.pdf

Some cascades, s4, R4, ... plsu there is the following saection as seen at (two last pages):

http://192.77.51.2/~cleduc/Canot/04/Mit ... uriers.pdf

Tim
seems a nice short run?

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 26th, 2006, 7:42 am 

Thanks again for your great idea of returning on the Lièvre at high level...

above 115m3/sec all weekend long...
With the weather helping!!! "Homard!!! or "Red like a lobster" Ouch!!!
Awesome...started at Lac Bacon, use the campsite after the R3 and S4 at KM 305..and the campsite on the rocku point at KM276 upstream of the S3(not marked on cartespleinair.org)... both were well above "C" quality sites at our point of view... A few swims, some great surfs, big holes, fun & long C2-3 stretches, ... Great Plan B...

After taking out, instead of our initial plan to run the last 25k of the Mitchinamecus, we were told that a 2km section of class 4 in Mont-St-Michel would be a better choice... you bet it was!!! 1 km long of real Class4 with huge standing wave followed by C2 and 1km of flat paddling... best rapids of the entire weekend... Easy acces..."The cherry on top of the sundae!!!" Dont go by without temping it!
I'll try to post some pics when in hands

David