View topic - Kuujjua River

It is currently February 16th, 2019, 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kuujjua River
PostPosted: August 18th, 2008, 11:10 pm 

Thanks to all (especially Joel) who helped me find info on various topics relating to the Kuujjua River and Beaufort Sea. I just returned home safe and sound from a successful expedition. What a place!! Have a look at http://www.canoebeyond.com for pictures and a write-up which will appear there in a couple of weeks.

http://www.canoebeyond.com

PostPosted: October 24th, 2008, 1:17 pm 

James,

Did you post a write up to your web site? I saw the pictures there, which were great. I'm tentatively planning to go down the Kuujjua in July 2009, so I'm interested in reading about your experience.

Did you continue on the ocean all the way to Holman? I got an air charter quote for a Kuujjua drop off/pick up recently, and after I picked my jaw up off the floor, I decided that the only way I can afford the trip is to end at Holman and take the sched back south. I'm trying to decide if the ocean paddle is within my comfort zone. Any advice or impressions of that portion of the trip that you can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

PostPosted: November 15th, 2008, 6:07 pm 

From my experiance and Jim Baird's experiance, I no longer recommend paddling to Homan.

It is prudent to hire the local taxi guy from Holman to pick you up at the mouth of the river and bring you to Holman by boat.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2008, 1:10 pm 

Dkelsey

Sorry to be so late on my response. Try phoning the local Holman RCMP and talk to an officer there named Jason he was a big help to us as was Martin at the Arctic Char inn. Get Pat and Gene’s number they can take there boat to Minto to give you a ride back to Holman. I did make it all the way to Holman by canoe on the Beaufort Sea beside the “dreaded cliffs” of Minto Inlet with one canoe. We paddled in heavy seas. I do not recommend this unless you don’t mind risking your life. The taxi ride will allow you to see the inlet from the water, it is breathtaking. The right up is not yet on www.canoebeyond.com but should be there in the near future. If you give me your email I can send you a trip report and right-up. Keep in mind that the largest boat in Holman is an eighteen foot Lund so the weather needs to be favorable for it to make the 230km round trip. The airfare alone into Cambridge Bay and out of Holman from Toronto cost $3000 Canadian. What a trip it is though, unbelievable!!!

Jim

PostPosted: November 19th, 2008, 5:21 pm 

Jim:

Thanks for sending back our Kuujjua River maps that you borrowed, they arrived in the mail today, I gather they were helpfull on your trip.

Of the 34 plus expeditions that we have done , the Kuujjua is still our favorite.

The name of the boat/Taxi guy in Holman is:

Pat Ekpakohak
Box 19
Homan NWT
867-396-4541

Pat is very reliable, and is in addition is a very talented Muskox Horn carver.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2008, 7:22 pm 

Joel,

We used your maps through out the whole trip and we also made a laminated flip book using photocopies which we used as well. The maps and notations were great. It will be heard to top the Kuujjua, the experience I had while there of being no more than thirty feet away from an Arctic wolf and then being followed down river by a pack of five will stay with me forever no doubt.

Thanks for lending the maps

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2008, 1:03 pm 

Sounds and looks like a gorgeous trip. I have had only two trips in the way north category, the Clarke/Thelon and the Horton. On both trips I was treated to close encounters with Wolves similar to yours. I feel so privileged and fortunate to have had those experiences. I hope one day I can return. Maybe the Kuujjua?

Rob

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2008, 4:38 pm 

My second shameless promo today. :-? :-?

Jim Baird has volunteered to present this trip on the Kuujjua at the 2009 WCS on Feb 13-14, 2009 in Toronto -

http://www.wcsymposium.com

PostPosted: November 25th, 2008, 3:33 pm 

Thanks for the replies and the good advice. The option of taking a boat from Minto to Holman sounds like a good one. It will make the trip (barely) affordable and hopefully keep me alive to enjoy my memories of it :)

Regards,

Dan