View topic - TR: Sinatra-how was your trip?

It is currently February 16th, 2019, 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 5th, 2003, 8:44 am 

Tom here...from da' burgh. how did the trip go? I'd be interested in hearing about it!

Post subject: Dubawnt - Short report
PostPosted: September 5th, 2003, 3:41 pm 

We drove to Lynn Lake on July 24 and 25 arriving around midnight on the 25th. Flew out on Transwest Air's Beaver at 11 Am on the 26th. About four hours to Boyd Lake with a stop at Kasba Lake Lodge to re-fuel. The kind folks at Kasba had roast beef sandwiches for us.
We directed the pilot to an Esker on Boyd Lake and he dropped us there. We spent a perfect afternoon swimming and getting our gear in order on a large beach in a sheltered cove.
I was surprised by how pretty and varied the terrain around the Dubawnt is. I was expecting terrain like we had on the Kazan two years ago. This river is surrounded by rock formations and has many sandy beaches. There were few signs of human activity along the Dubawnt. We saw a piece of tissue paper on the ground at the Gates of the Dubawnt and I found a hook sharpener and a bit of trash along the Dubawnt Canyon. And on Grant Lake there is a point there called Canoe Point. This beach was full of trash. I believe Terrell named Canoe Point and stayed there so I assume it has been a destination for over 100 years. Otherwise, there were no human signs until we turned into the Thelon system.
The lakes are large and numerous. The wind, though, was on our side the whole way on the Dubawnt, until we turned into the Thelon system. There, east of Beverly Lake, the scenary became a bit monolithic with a lot of sand islands and beaches. The rock was gone until the last fifty mile stretch into Baker Lake.
We took Bill Layman's advice and landed on Boyd Lake because we wanted about 25 - 30 days on the water. We took one scheduled day off in the Canyon and on the Dubawnt we had only one wind created day off. But, on the Thelon, we were beached for 3 days. We turned east on the Thelon and that's when the wind decided to start up from the east.
Met David Ford when we landed in Baker Lake. He runs the art gallery there and is collecting canoes as they land on his beach. My old Pennobscot is now retired in David Ford's yard and I will be receiving a native carving soon in the post. in exchange for the canoe.
The only thing I would do different , if I paddled the Dubawnt again and had the same time constraints is, I would put in further south and arrange a pick up as soon as we enter the Thelon system.