View topic - Green River UT help

It is currently January 22nd, 2019, 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Green River UT help
PostPosted: January 11th, 2019, 12:05 pm 

Pboat wrote:
1. Does anyone have a recommendation for food storage? I have a collection of bear canisters that I use backpacking, but was curious if we could get away with dry bags along the Green. A blue barrel is a possibility, but I would probably need to ship it ahead since it might not fit in the car. I don't have a good sense for how active the critters are.

2. Also, several folks mention the lovely mud. Are rubber boots the way to go, or should we just enjoy the way the mud squishes into our sneakers

1.Active. The best sites get used a lot, and the Rodentia are habituated.

On two different Green River trips companions had rodents gnaw holes in soft sided containers. At Trin Alcove a squirrel ate a hole in a day pack, set briefly aside with lunch in it, and gnawed a gaping hole in a dry bag with cookwear. At Water & Shot Canyon some rodent ate holes in a couple of hanging dry bags containing food. I used a barrel and had zero problems.

I’d put anything with food potential odors in a hard side container, including the stove and cookware. Maybe make room for the (packed) barrel or canister fit in the car, or strap it (empty) up inside the canoe.

Worst case scenario I know Tex’s rents “Plastic Storage Box, 12’ x 15” x 22” ($5 per trip). I do not know how critter chew proof they are. Tagalong probably does the same. Or buy a tote or sealed bucket near (but outside of Moab $$$) and leave it at Tex’s for someone else to use.

(Last time I was at Tex’s they had a shelf with an array of left-behind freebies next to the check in/paperwork counter, mostly stuff I presume folks had bought locally and couldn’t fly home with; a couple stoves, a lot of fuel canisters, stakes and misc gear. When I mentioned that I needed to buy some iso-butane canisters somewhere in Moab they showed me the shelf and said “Help yourself”)

2.Boots or something. The something being a shoe that the mud, sometimes ankle deep, can’t suck off your foot with every step. I used mukluks or secure fitting water shoes, depending on the temperature.

Mud encrusted boots are not a problem after you schtuuup-step your way to camp, the humidity is usually low enough that the mud dries and you can smack it off the treads later in the day*

The bigger mud issue with mud encrusted boots was getting in the canoe. That is some tenacious mud; just dangling your muddy shoes over the gunwales and knocking them against the hull in the river won’t dislodge it, and I didn’t want it smeared all over my gear in the bilge water. I brought a stiff bristle brush, hung my feet over the edge and brushed off the mud back where it belongs. With 3 people including kids in each canoe I would highly recommend bringing a brush.

*This still makes me laugh, although it was less funny at the time. One on trip I watched an absent minded friend pick up his dry mud encrusted boots and beat them together. While standing over his canoe. When he noticed the resulting mud shower falling in his boat he turned 180 degrees and beat the rest of the mud off. While standing over my canoe.

It wasn’t malicious, or mean spirited, he’s just kinda of unaware dense at times, and often a good source of WTF stories.

You should by now have read this multiple times, but it bears repeating. I sure didn’t pay attention the first trip, and suffered for it. On the second trip it was nicely warm while waiting for the jet boat, but I carried on a day pack with fleece and raingear and warm hat. And put it all on before the jet boat had gone a mile.

If you are catching a jet boat shuttle up the Colorado WEAR OR BRING WARM CLOTHES ACCCESSIBLE IN THE JET BOAT. It may be 75f warm and sunny at Spanish Bottom, but when that jet boat starts blasting up the cold Colorado for a hours trip it will feel damn chilly and windy and shorts & tee shirt won’t cut it. Fleece under raingear as a wind block is a much better idea.

Especially with 5 kids under the age of ten; you don’t want their last, and lasting, memory of that trip to be teeth chattering cold

If nothing else, please read this again, and take note:
littleredcanoe wrote:
Be very ready for snow. The river is in high desert. The average high is below 60 and the average low below freezing.

Warm boots are best. The river is snowmelt and at that time of year particulary not warm.. Wear wetsuits.

I have never been on the Green as early as March (maybe the last few days of the month), but usually, including a 3-week float, in April into May. It has snowed at least a little every trip (and blown like stink, and been calm, and been sweaty sunny hide-in-the-shade and deluged rain and everything in between), and even by May the Green is too cold for anything but Polar Bear Club swimming.

Any chance you can back that kid-heavy trip off a month?

Edit: To demonstrate my vast Green River expertise I wore Croc’s as my warm weather alternative to knee high Mukluks one trip. When it wasn’t Mukluk weather they were great around camp, sometimes styling it with Crocs and socks.

"Around camp". I cannot begin to describe how unsuitable Crocs were for schtuuup-stepping across an expanse of mudflat while carrying gear to camp. Envision balancing Flamingo-like on one leg, while wearing a pack and holding other gear in your hands, having extracted a now Croc-less foot from the muck mid way between canoe and bank.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2019, 12:28 pm 

didn't reread the whole thread, so not sure if it was mentioned or not. Tamarisk is a major PITA, and a pain anywhere else you get stuck. watch for "punji sticks" - short sharp stubs chewed off by beavers - both a trip and puncture hazard (I rolled a bagged boat over on one I didn't see, and punctured the airbag once). I would bring a pair of Loppers with me to clear a nice trail to your campsite - at least a pair of hand held garden shears. Tamarisk is an invasive species, and you can chop the hell out of them legally - don't worry about no cutting of live trees kind of rules for the tamarisk.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2019, 3:15 pm 

Pboat, check your private messages.