View topic - The journal of Moffatt-party participant Ed Lanouette

It is currently March 22nd, 2019, 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
PostPosted: March 14th, 2019, 6:51 am 

Alan Gage: "Although I don't doubt the sincerity of Pessl in the epilogue of his book I still feel like the real reason for him coming out against Grinnell was hard feelings because of the way he himself (Pessl) was treated in the book." And Grinnell's book was seeded by an unavailable video documentary. Thus it could be argued that the fabric weaved by these narratives is a knot of contention complicated by incompatible styles.

It could also be argued that decades have marinated each participants experience thus making it impossible to "relive" events as they occurred - in the raw as it were.

"They all seem to contradict each other at times" not only bears witness to the unreliability of the witness, but in those differences exposes the witness to further scrutiny.

Did the following happen:

Pg 214/215 Grinnell:

"....Art knelt, with his hands fumbling with the zipper on his moosehide jacket, and asked. "What do you want me to do?" It was obvious that he was helpless.
"Get undressed and get in this sleeping bag with me." I commanded, ripping the buttons off my shirt, I managed to undress down to my sodden long underwear, which clung to my skin as the wind turned it to ice. To get out of the wind, I crawled into the sleeping bag and left Art outside to die."

or is there a recurring narrative in Grinnell's story?

PostPosted: March 16th, 2019, 9:36 am 

Also a memoir versus a journal. Although both authors wrote their books decades after the fact, one is tethered in verifiable externals sources and the other in subjective reflection with occasional references to external sources. Very hard if not impossible to compare the two. Therefore I won't. Grinnell's account seems to be in constant never ending psychotherapy - truly a needful thing in an ongoing tragedy.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2019, 6:24 am 

Since there seems to be a continued interest, perhaps we can explore difference between the Grinnell versus Psell reality show. To me Grinnell wanders his wasteland looking for a solace that he never seems to find. He always seems to fall apart from within. Psell is another matter. So strongly tethered to the immediacy of the events that when he veers away he goes out of his way to explain. Thus the passage on page 129

"From here until 9/17 our daily, chronologic journal entries end The days after 9/8 were filled with such horror and suffering that it was impossible to write anything at all. In one moment, this grand adventure had become a nightmare beyond my comprehension. The narrative that follows was written after we had arrived at Baker Lake, after the others had departed and I was alone with my recollections and my demons - Skip

Given that at least the Lanouette Journal did continue after 9/7 until and including 9/14, Psell's use of "our daily, chronologic journal entries end." could be problematic.

So I went back to rereread Lanouette journal and was greeted by these words:

"Friday, September 9 – Camp #46 (same).

Near disaster—from now on log writing is luxury:"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17