Advertising

View topic - a bad experience with Friar's Balsam

It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2002, 1:06 pm 

Hav eused Friar's Balsam for some time to make bandages stick, and to stop weeping wounds from bleeding. On this trip I replaced the old glass bottle (with metal lid), with a Life Brand (Shoppers Drug Mart) plasic bottle. I slipped it into a zip lock just in case....

The blasted bottle leaked! The F.B. eats plastic (you should see the holes in the epipen cases and the pits in the first aid kit).

To make matters worse, I tried to peel the bag off of the bottle, and fling! the bag not only came off, but so did the lid. Unfortunately, I was right by the firepit, and everything but the bottle I was holding landed in the fire, and then exploded back up, onto my hand. My husband yelled at me that I was on fire and to drop the bottle, which I did (I admit I paniced). It splattered into the fire as well after it bounced off of a rock, and then blew up back out all over us.

F. B. does come out of pots with A LOT of scrubbing using fuel. It comes off of Lexan with the help of Goo Gone. But it does NOT come out of clothes (unless someone has an idea??), so my shirt, pants and another paddlers shirt now look like those of a spotted hyena.

Fortunatley no one was hurt. I got a lot of ribbing, as I am usually the careful and calm one!