View topic - dollar store outfitting

It is currently July 15th, 2018, 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: dollar store outfitting
PostPosted: August 7th, 2010, 11:07 am 

Reading this forum turns-up some pretty creative use of dollar store gear, e.g. using a foil blanket as a groundsheet. What is your experience?

a. dollar store gear you'll use again?
- tooth brush covers, 2-pk
- unscented alcohol hand cleanser, 2-pk
- plastic drop sheet
- rain poncho
- nylon clothesline

b. dollar store gear you might use again?
- tripod stool ($2)
- soft fishing lures ($1.50)

c. dollar store gear you'll never use again?
- pvc string
- nylon 'wallet' for cutlery/ utensils

PostPosted: August 7th, 2010, 11:40 am 

Admittedly, most dollar store stuff is crap (you get what you pay for), but some dollar store stuff I use all the time includes:

- cutlery
- plastic bowls and mugs
- mesh bags (use for storing gear inside barrels)

cheers
dave

PostPosted: August 7th, 2010, 1:14 pm 

Works - Dollar store beach balls to stuff partially deflated into the stems of the canoes that are stored outside

They keep the wrens from trying to build nests on those nicely weather-protected deck plates when the outside boats are on the storage racks.

Doesn’t work – Dollar store spray paint. Not the same color as the cap, bad coverage, poor adhesion. Not even worth the $1 a can.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2010, 4:58 pm 

The dollar store flexible plastic cutting boards are awesome for home as well as camping.

roddy

PostPosted: August 8th, 2010, 9:52 am 

Keychain lights.... $2, about the size and weight of several wooden matches.

I had a light fail on me during a hike that went several hours past sunset and now make sure there's a back-up, no matter how reliable the new light is. This one has been working for several years and is always in the daypack.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2010, 7:44 pm 

+1 on the flexible cutting mats. I got a two pack for a buck.

I use a 4" dollar store knife with a plastic sheath as a kitchen knife. The sheath makes it so handy to throw into the kitchen kit. I've had the same one for years.

I also usually pick up a set of waterwings to cut in half and use as a pillow. Light, cheap and one of the more comfy camping pillows I've used. Inflate, throw a t-shirt over it for a pillow case and Zzzzz.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2010, 2:45 pm 

I can't even add up the amount of cr*p I've bought at the dollar store for camping, and I even took some of it with me... Everything from food to rope to utensils. The majority of it is useless after a short while, but some things are a surprisingly good deal. Two of the better things I've picked up at the dollar store was tuna in foil... for $1.50. They were excellent to have along on the trip and the foil burns as well (we certainly don't mind packing garbage out, but if it burns then that's even better, especially if it smells like tuna). The other thing was a round wash tub that we bungee to our 'kitchen' pack. It's the perfect diameter and depth, and adds to our ability to keep things clean around the site. It's been a great score, for $1.50 also.

Trev.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2010, 4:42 pm 

I didn't buy it, but a few years ago for a stocking stuffer, my girlfriend got me a tiny little crankbait lure from a dollarama.
I thought "aw how cute, I'll put it in my box and maybe it'll get wet some time.
Later that year, we went with some friends to a cottage on Kahshe Lake, and when I wasn't catching anything I thought what the hell and tied it on.
I'll be damned if that wasn't the most successful lure of the weekend. Largemouth, smallmouth and pike were caught on this lure. Including the biggest pike of the weekend ~ 36".

As well as te usual cups, bowls, pots and pans. You get what you pay for. I've gotten more than my dollar's worth out of that stuff. I can't complain, and I'll go back and get more if I need to.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2010, 6:51 pm 

Unfortunately, I have admitted defeat and accepted the fact that the rain poncho is disposable. Good thing, they are inexpensive. I have tried folding those damn things up, but it never works for me.

Backcountry Camping Facebook Page

Last edited by bordenman on January 9th, 2011, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2010, 8:49 pm 

I second Ice-Breaker on the mesh nylon bags. They are also great for holding stuff you don't mind getting wet as the water, sand, whatever just falls through the holes. We keep all our cooking utensils in one.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." — Albert Einstein

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 7:06 pm 

Zipties, plastic battery cases, Bandanas (one of my favorite piece of gears),

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 7:19 pm 

For my last trip I picked up instant soup, rice, pasta, mints, and pepperette sticks from dollarama. I got enough to last me a week and I believe it cost me around $10-$15. :thumbup:

PostPosted: August 24th, 2010, 9:55 am 

Dollar Store info

Dollar stores are great for buying cheap party supplies, crafts and treats. But for other items, it's buyer beware.
Lipkus says a safe rule of thumb is to be wary of electrical and health products. On all items, you should look on the packaging for the following information:

-Manufacturer's information.
-French and English translation -- a requirement in Canada.
-Spelling mistakes.

http://money.ca.msn.com/banking/bankrat ... d=25319911

http://misabiadventurecompany.ca/

PostPosted: August 25th, 2010, 1:44 pm 

I tried out the foil blanket as a groundsheet, and it worked out ok, however, if the ground is wet, it will pick-up a lot of pine needles. I trashed mine after my last trip, but for $1, not bad at all!

Another thing I'll use again are tea candles as fire starters - Can't remember where I read about this trick, but I like it.

Also:
handkerchiefs - 5 pk
800 mL BPA-free water bottle
houseslippers for the campsite ($2)

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 3:41 pm 

+1 on flexible cutting board. Used to just use a spare paddle but the board can come in handy.

+1 on Dollarama fishing tackle, they're cheap so you don't cry as much when you lose it, but even the Chinese haven't figured out how to make a spoon NOT work. Occasionally some name brand stuff will show up on liquidation.

There can be some deals in their food aisle, and as a solo tripper it can be hard to find the smaller containers of stuff like soy & worcestershire in a regular supermarket. Even found some foil packed tuna steaks for $1, score!

But mostly it's for odds & ends, duct tape, super glue, spatula's.