View topic - Help with Garmin Extrex 20 and Ibycus

It is currently July 15th, 2018, 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 17th, 2018, 1:35 pm 

OK I know there are going to be tutorials out there and partly I'm hoping you can point me to the right ones. I bought an eTrex 20 maybe 4-5 years ago and never really figured out how to use it in part because I run Linux and it requires Windows so I never have the time to play with it.

Coming from a computer and SW development background I've always said that if you know what a piece of software is supposed to do for you, then you should be able to figure out how to do it without a manual, otherwise it is poorly designed software. By that definition Garmin SW sure is poorly designed!

OK one key thing I'd like to be able to do is use my computer to browse the device and remove old cruft off it. Like I have a bunch of waypoints saved from the last few times I used it - don't care about this on the device. Don't want to have to stumble through the GUI on the device itself to remove them.

I guess I sort of figured out how to load some data onto it. I downloaded my google map for La Verendrye circuit 15 and used Basecamp to shoot it onto the device. The main thing is I can find the waypoints and navigate to them and that's basically all I need on the trip. Sure would like any easy way to get that old crap out of there though.

And way back when I bought the thing I managed to get the Ibycus map on there. But I guess it is not loaded into my current version of base camp. I don't recall how I did that with my other install. When I try to plan a trip it says this feature is not compatible with my current map, and wants to sell me maps. I don't have an issue buying a map but don't want to buy something if I don't have to. And they all seemed to be US maps so may not even have what I need anyway. I think what I need though is a copy of Ibycus into the current Base Camp install. I may have that old copy of Ibycus on my wife's laptop if I go looking. Anyone else have a recent copy?

Are there recent updates to Ibycus or other free maps to look for?

PostPosted: June 17th, 2018, 2:07 pm 

OK I found a copy of the Ibycus 4.0 ISO and am downloading it.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2018, 2:35 pm 

I ended up just nuking all my waypoints and routes from the device and only sending over the stuff I wanted. I'm guessing that is the only way to do it anyway.