View topic - Canada Top Maps - free download for offline phone GPS

It is currently December 15th, 2018, 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 19th, 2018, 9:45 am 

This appeared as an ad while using Avenza Maps... downloaded, appears as Canada Maps on the phone & has a large selection of top maps. They don't have Jeff's Maps but for some, might be a better choice since the free map choice is good, see below (eg. while in Toronto). Seems to work OK, initially... maybe someone with knowledge could comment.

Something that this app doesn't do is turn off your phone automatically while tracking on a trip, even with a short sleep time screen shutdown to save battery power. The screen stays on and the phone needs to be turned off manually.

They say that only three tracks can be stored in the free version, but online storage in Google Drive can be done with wi-fi (hit the share button), and the old tracks deleted with a long press on the track layer.

NOTE... this app doesn't seem to download entire map sheets so use in remote areas might not work. Needs to be tested with no wi-fi and with data disabled. They do state this, needs to be checked out:

Quote:
Use this navigation app for outdoor activities like hiking, biking, camping, climbing, riding, skiing, canoeing or offroad 4WD tours.

Preload FREE map data for areas without cell service.

Quote:
Available map layers:

• Topomaps Canada (CanMatrix, seamless coverage at scales 1:50.000 and 1:250.000)
• Toporama Maps Canada (CanVec, NTDB, Atlas of Canada)
• Canada Base Map
• CanTopo
• ESRI (Satellite, Road)
• Google Maps (Satellite images, Road- and Terrain-Map)
• Bing Maps (Satellite images, Road-Map)
• Open Street Maps (OSM Mapnik and Cloudemade Cyclemap)
• Hillshading overlay layer (NOT in this FREE version)

Toporama Maps Canada: These are the most recent topographic maps of Canada.

Topomaps Canada: These maps contain many small pathes and 4WD tracks that are missing in Toporama, Google, Bing and OSM maps. This layer is essential for real outdoor and offroad trips in Canada. Seamless mosaic of more than 13.000 collar clipped 1:50.000 maps.

https://www.amazon.ca/ATLOGIS-Geoinform ... op?ie=UTF8

PostPosted: November 19th, 2018, 2:51 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

I've been using the Pro version for a couple of years. I think it cost $11. You need the pro version to cache map layers. Although you can not cache the Google or Bing Layers due to licensing restrictions. I have used it for multi week trips with no cell service in Algonquin and in the arctic and it worked flawlessly. You can also import your own routes and waypoints. You can even import entire map layers if you know the location of the tile server.

frozentripper wrote:
Something that this app doesn't do is turn off your phone automatically while tracking on a trip, even with a short sleep time screen shutdown to save battery power. The screen stays on and the phone needs to be turned off manually.

You can change this setting in Preferences - Common - uncheck 'Keep Display Active'. While you are here you can also adjust tracking intervals. Might save battery life. In my experience tracking really kills your battery so I don't use it. Putting the phone into standby or power saving mode also messes with tracking. I just use the phone to mark way points or occasionally reference my location.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2018, 10:31 am 

Thanks for commenting... I'll check the "Keep Display Active" but I'm sure I reduced the screen-on time to 15 seconds after which the phone should have turned itself off... it still stayed on for the duration, something that didn't happen with Avenza.

I'll mostly be using tracking in problem areas like bushwhacks and old logging roads to make sure I'm going where I need to be going and to check on progress... sometimes it's pretty slow going through the thrash and knowing the distance covered gets uncertain. And to make sure I return the same way... some of those old logging roads have confusing forks and side roads, and are hard to recognize from unroaded forest, esp after some energy-draining bushwhacking reduces the ability to stay on the same track (ie. going brain-dead, slowly, as the fatigue sets in). If you never hear from me again, you'll know that the battery went dead.... j/k....

PostPosted: November 20th, 2018, 9:20 pm 

I have the Pro version on my tablet and like it. I use it a lot when I'm driving so I can see a bigger picture of where I am then on my truck's GPS. And I like to see the names of the water bodies and heights-of-land and drainages and stuff. I download high resolution views of the areas I'm interested in before heading out. I think all of Canada takes more then a terabyte.
I've also got the US version where I've downloaded the topos of some rivers and the nautical maps of some of the Florida coast I have or will be paddling.