View topic - Trout fishing with the boys

It is currently September 25th, 2018, 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2018, 9:14 pm 

Hi all,

Long long time member but have not posted recently. In fact, I had to re-register!

Anyway.... I am looking to take my wife and 2 boys (8 and 6 years old) out for their first spring trout fishing trip (they have done canoe trips before). They are excited for this one!

Was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a location to bring them trout fishing (I typically fish for lakers as I have more success with them than brookies)

Looking for an easily accessible lake that has moderate potential for catching ( I realize that easily accessible lakes and good trout potential is usually an inverse relationship)

I live in Aurora and am willing to drive 4-5 hours North or elsewhere. Any help would be appreciated!

Thx

Jeremy

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2018, 11:57 am 

You cant go wrong with some of the lakes in Algonquin, not sure of your timing, ice is still on up there and may be like that for another month. I just came back from a Trout opening fish trip and all lakes had 10" thick ice still, had to stick with the rivers. Opeongo, Happy Isle, Merchant, Chikaree, Redrock, these lakes are easy to access for the most part. Opeongo to Happy Isle is long one, but easy, take the water taxi to the portage it will save you 4-6 hrs of paddling, the portage will take you 40min, but you will be rewarded with good fishing (assuming of course you are already skilled at knowing how to catch them..lol). Not much traffic here in the spring and good Laker fishing. Easier is Cache lake, but could have some traffic since it is right off Hwy 60, butut I have had success there many times with Lakers years back, haven't been there in almost a decade.
You mention you have done canoe trips in the past, is this going to be a canoe trip as well, if not I know lots of great rivers for Rainbows for Backpacking camp trips.

Hope this helps, if you want further north , just let me know, I can shoot you some further places.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2018, 1:45 pm 

Hey thx Cap'n

It will definitely be a canoe trip. I usually try to limit my portaging when going with family to 300m or under. I used to fish the Western part of Algonquin. Lakes like Tim and Ralph Bice. I had success 10 years ago but was getting skunked there in recent years. I like the idea of a water taxi to get a little further into the backcountry.

Was also wondering if I might have better luck taking them up further North into Sudbury area

Jeremy

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2018, 5:54 pm 

Ah, Sudbury area, awesome, great places up in that region, Try around the Elliot lake area just north at 10 Mile Lake via Dunlop Lake, good fishing there. Most portages are around the 100m to 300m range, or you can choose none at all and camp on Dunlop. Stocked with Splake.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey