View topic - spanish river

It is currently October 21st, 2018, 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: spanish river
PostPosted: April 12th, 2005, 11:09 pm 

Hi

I am thinking about going to the spanich river in ontario from duke to agnew I wanted to know if this is too much not enough or just right It is a has intermediate River Travel what ever that means any way I am consiter us to be agresive padalers for example we did 100km and 20,000m of portoging in algonquin that was a chalange so what is it like we want to go early augest

thank you
Brian Sexsmith

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 13th, 2005, 9:38 am 

You portaged 20 km throughout a 100 km paddle? It's been a while since I've been in Algonquin but that sounds like quite the route...

I consider the east branch of the Spanish novice level rather than intermediate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 13th, 2005, 4:16 pm 

so the west branch from biscotasi to agnew is more fun and mor chalanging than the east route

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2005, 9:36 am 

The west branch is considered more challenging than the east, but odds are in August you will be walking the rapids anyway. It all depends on local rainfall and release of water from the Bisco Dam.

...........O
......(___|/____)
.........../

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2005, 10:14 am 

Quote:
so the west branch from biscotasi to agnew is more fun

I'll let you know. I'll be there in 3 weeks!

Post subject: some dumb quesions
PostPosted: April 14th, 2005, 1:56 pm 

Some dumb questions but I am going to ask them anyway this trip will be are 1st overnight whitewater the both of us are 19 years old and vary aggressive you old guys might call us stupid.

So for the Spanish river we have a good solid fiberglass canoe we have practiced some WW on a river near my place we found it to be very wet so I think we are going to get ether a full skirt or a front skirt jest so when the nose goes under, is this a good idea?

Second I think we need what you call a "recovery kit" what is that? Do I need it? And were can I get it?

I think the rest is the same as lake travel right?

Thank you for all your help

Brian Sexsmith

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2005, 7:57 pm 

Don't know how much good a recovery kit will do you if you are paddling a glass boat. They don't usually survive a wrap like a royalex boat will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 15th, 2005, 12:02 am 

so if the fiber glass will not take it I don't need a recovery kit is that the idea the only question

is there any thing I need different than the normal lake travel stuff?
and
do you sugest a full skirt or a front skirt?
and
the east or west side if I have only some experence I don't want to be getting in somthing over my head is the east going to be this little trickle or a raging torent when compared with the west side

thank you

Brian Sexsmith

PS I think I am convinced the west side is better for us but my frend thinks it is to much for us I need some thing to convince him to do the west side or some thing to convince me to the east

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 15th, 2005, 6:23 am 

Brian, if you are new to river paddling, take the East Branch. It starts out as lake paddling and that connecting flow of water is getting bigger as you follow down that chain of lakes. Thus you have a chance to build up experience and you'll enjoy it. On the West Branch, if the water level is high, you might get in trouble, and if it's low, you'll be disappointed because of the portaging.

Why not just do the West Branch at some later time? It won't go away....

PS:
As Joven states, there's plenty of white water fun to be had below the forks: park yourselves at some rapid, empty the boats and play around (experimenting with loaded boats is not a good idea when easing your way into river padling). Some rapids may even be too challenging depending on water level, like the Athlone Rapids below the forks. Zigzag Rapids is a good one to practise. Get the Chrismar Map if you don't have it already. It's available here

Last edited by Erhard on April 15th, 2005, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: some dumb quesions
PostPosted: April 15th, 2005, 6:49 am 

[quote=".anyway this trip will be are 1st overnight whitewater the both of us are 19 years old and vary aggressive you old guys might call us stupid..
Brian Sexsmith[/quote]
Don't worry about that part. I, too, used to be young and stupid......now I'm old! :doh: :oops:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 15th, 2005, 7:46 am 

I agree with Erhard. Take the east branch. It has plenty excitement for two 19 YO "stupids" (your defininition, not mine) and is perfect for your first multi day trip. You'll have fun!

...........O
......(___|/____)
.........../

Post subject: flotation
PostPosted: April 15th, 2005, 12:00 pm 

I'm no tripper and I'm unfamiliar with the Spanish river, but I do paddle a bit of whitewater, so from that point of view...
If there is anychance of swamping you boat on moving water you might want to think about adding some flotation. A dedicated whitewater boat will typically have airbags lashed in anywhere there isn't a paddler. In a tripper you need to leave room for your gear but even that, if it floats and is secured in the boat will help.
The reason you want to do that is, the more flotation the higher the boat will float when it's swamped. The higher the boat will float, the less chance there is that it will pin. I saw a beautiful Wenonah, no floatation, destroyed in a relatively easy rapid after it pinned and wrapped. Ouch!
You can buy flotation kits but I'm guessing your not rolling in dough, least ways I wasn't at 19, so the things to think about are it's got to be tough, its got to be secure, I've also seen float bags stripped right out of a boat by a strong current, and more is better. I know some folks use truck tire tubes.
I would tie in all of my gear, partly so that it would add flotation, but that seems to be a controversial subject amoungst trippers so you might want to read some of the other threads on that.
Finaly if you can, try to hook up with folks who are running canoes on whitewater. For me anyway, the more I learn the more fun I have.
Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 15th, 2005, 3:37 pm 

I'm doing the east branch the end of June with some teen agers, they've had a WW course. The east branch looks good for a first river as it gets progressivly harder , all rapids can be portaged should be a great learning experience and a chance to play. A single fiberglass boat I'd worry about, if you total it what do you do? they don't take the abuse a royalex does. And Murphies law applies one good rock and it could be over but for the walk out. Its a great riverthink it out and give it a try,
P,S. there are lots of trip tickets out there read up
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 15th, 2005, 11:02 pm 

thanks alot guys this is all good info but do I need a Skirt and if so jest one over the nose or a full one that you slid into like a kayak

thanks

Brian Sexsmith

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 16th, 2005, 3:01 pm 

You do not need a skirt. To stay drier you need technique.

This is not a whitewater lesson, but for the east branch it will get you trough.

1. When you come to large waves, go slow. this will give the boat time to float over the wave instead of going through it

2. Try to avoid the waves, or run the shoulder.

3. Know when to portage, I didnt when I was 19, sometimes I still don't. But, I am not paddling in fiber glass for that reason.

4. Bring some epoxy to fix your boat if you need it.