View topic - Yukon advice wanted: river trip for four Scots

It is currently November 19th, 2018, 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 24th, 2018, 4:56 pm 

Hi, :D two of us Scottish visitors canoed the big salmon in the Yukon last August. It was so good, we are planning on returning as a group of four in August 18. We would appreciate any advice on the choice of river. We would like a slightly longer trip, about 12 days or so, perhaps slightly more challenging than the big salmon. We would like a river of similar technical grade, or slightly more challenging. I think the big salmon was grade 2. We would like to avoid a lot of flat open water (like the Yukon river itself), we like more the smaller flowing river like the upper big salmon which was world class. We would fly into Whitehorse, and would be looking for a trip that's not too expensive or difficult from a logistics point of view. Last summer we flew into the big salmon, which was one of the highlights of the trip, then paddled to Carmacks, and hitched a ride back to Whitehorse. what an excellent adventure that was! Duncan :D

PostPosted: January 24th, 2018, 8:23 pm 

The Snake River fits your criteria. I take it you dont want to do the guided thing.. You can get picked up at Taco Bar on the Peel and avoid the headwinds. Up North may be able to help you with the logistics. You have to van to Mayo where you catch a flight with Black Sheep Aviation to Duo Lakes
There is a lot of hiking on the Snake.. aside from the first 1 mile portage to the river itself there is only one optional portage in the Canyon.. a short but technical Class 3 that is fine if you have a team that works well together.
Here is a little tease
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/ ... g-paradise

PostPosted: January 26th, 2018, 2:38 am 

thanks for that advice, great. :D We will look into the logistics, if that works then we may be onto a winner. I wonder if good fishing is also guaranteed! :)

PostPosted: January 26th, 2018, 6:56 am 

Several of the rivers in the Peel watershed would suit your group. The Snake, as LR mentioned, but also the Wind, Blackstone and Hart. The Wind in particular has excellent hiking and fishing opportunities. I would classify it slightly lower technically than the Snake. It's normally a solid intermediate (CII+ / CIII), but depending on water levels or spring flood, conditions (particularily in the Peels canyons) will fluctuate dramatically. All these may require an additional paddle on the Peel River to the take-out at Taco Bar. Blacksheep Airways operation out of Mayo has recently been taken over by Alkan Air. Either Up North or Kanoe People, based in Whitehorse can support your group with gear rentals, shuttles, logistics etc.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2018, 2:46 pm 

:) that's great, thanks, very useful info there. i will speak to the other three and look into some logistics .... :D

PostPosted: January 26th, 2018, 3:29 pm 

Here's a link to some photos from our Wind / Peel River(s) trip. If you have questions ... just ask!

https://plus.google.com/photos/10067483 ... 9825098305