View topic - I need a ride to Wollaston Lake!

It is currently September 26th, 2018, 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 6th, 2018, 2:35 am 

I know this is a long shot but there must be somebody headed to Wollaston Lake in 2018.

I'm contemplating a trip from Wollaston Lake in northern Saskatchewan to Baker Lake Nunavut for my Summer solo trip, the trip itself seems pretty simple, put in on Wollaston in late June or early July and paddle north for 7 weeks to Baker Lake then fly south to Winnipeg and home to Toronto.

A couple of years ago I convinced a friend to drive me to Pickle Lake to drop me off, that was a 4000km round trip. This time it would be over 7000km, I don't have many friends, can't afford to lose any!!!!

I could take the train from Toronto to Saskatoon and then find somebody to shuttle me north to Wollaston, I can't afford a sleeper and not sure 3 days in economy is a good way to prepare for an extended canoe trip, the shuttle likely not cheap either when paying for both a vehicle and driver with nobody to share the cost.

If anyone is heading that way and has the space for one more paddler, one more boat and a pile of gear it would be fantastic! Obviously I'm willing and able to share the driving and expenses along the way.

Ideally it would be someone from or passing through Southern Ontario although I could also meet up in Montreal/Ottawa or probably anywhere along the Trans-Canada Highway as far west as Winnipeg.

HELP MAKE MY DREAM TRIP COME TRUE!

PostPosted: February 6th, 2018, 4:53 pm 

What is your planned dates?

We're on the fence between the Berens River and the Fond du Lac, starting from Wollaston.

The plan was Berens via Wallace Lake last year and Fond du Lac this year but the Broadleaf River was too dry to paddle and our dog got sick so we ended up back at home.

I'm still sore about not making it to the Berens River so I've been leaning in that direction. If things change and we do head up to Wollaston, we'd have room for you and your boat.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2018, 12:32 pm 

Neil Fitzpatrick wrote:

We're on the fence between the Berens River and the Fond du Lac, starting from Wollaston.

The plan was Berens via Wallace Lake last year and Fond du Lac this year but the Broadleaf River was too dry to paddle and our dog got sick so we ended up back at home.

I'm still sore about not making it to the Berens River so I've been leaning in that direction. If things change and we do head up to Wollaston, we'd have room for you and your boat.

I don't know anything about the Fond du Lac but after doing some trips around WCPP and the Bloodvein I did the Wollaston area in 2016. Gonna be hard to do trips around WCPP again. Completely different up there. Wonderful place.

The Berens is still on my agenda though too. Maybe in the next year or two while the dog is still young enough to travel. But when I daydream it's about farther north.

Alan

PostPosted: February 7th, 2018, 6:59 pm 

Neil Fitzpatrick wrote:

I think I need to start no later than the first week of July, that far north I'd like to be off the water by the third week of August at the very latest. In spite of "global warming" I'm trying to avoid a Moffat party experience!

FYI - I've paddled part of the Berens, the Pigeon and the Bloodvein, they are all very nice trips but I'm looking for something less frequently travelled and further north than the 59.5° I've reached to date.

Let me know when you make a decision on your destination.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2018, 10:02 pm 

We won't be leaving until later in July because of a pair of weddings. I read your original post quickly at work and missed your start window. Sorry to get your hopes up!

PostPosted: February 7th, 2018, 10:38 pm 

Well, if you're coming through Saskatoon, look me up. :)
Check with Martin at Kisseynew Canoe Company and his wife Heather at Montreal River Outpost. They both have their ear pretty close to the ground and might know of some options. You could probably talk Martin into dropping everything and driving you from La Ronge north, but don't tell Heather. ;)
https://kisseynewcanoecompany.com/
https://theoutpostnorth.ca/

Also, check with Ric at CRCO.
http://www.churchillrivercanoe.com/

And who knows, maybe I could be bribed to drive you a ways north from Saskatoon if you don't tell my wife. Maybe I'll go teach some kayak lessons in La Ronge in early July.

If you delay your trip start until mid August you could hitch a ride with us all the way from the Quebec border to Saskatoon. (Again, don't tell my wife & we'll be taking the scenic route every step of the way so figure on a couple of weeks in transit.)

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: February 8th, 2018, 10:22 am 

How about buying a $1k car in Winnipeg and selling it when you get to La Ronge with the stipulation being the new owner drives you to Wollaston? There are enough members in the Winnipeg area someone should be able to come up with something decent.

Alan

PostPosted: February 21st, 2018, 12:33 pm 

Alan: "I don't know anything about the Fond du Lac"

My wife and I did this river on the way to Chipman Portage and points north
Nice river with small fishing camps enroute. Another time I did it, had to return upstream because gasoline spoiled my food.

Manito Falls: