Advertising

View topic - Ontario Conservation Officers Association--"Busted"

It is currently September 17th, 2014, 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ontario Conservation Officers Association--"Busted"
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 11:52 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Always a fascinating (and often depressing) read, the OCOA news briefs can turn up some interesting items:

Falls under "what was he thinking?"

August 17, 2005

LOCAL MAN FINED $1,000 FOR CARELESS DRIVING

IGNACE - An Atikokan man, who intentionally drove his speeding snowmobile at Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) officers, has been fined $1,000 for careless driving and has apologized to officers.

Donald Thorson, 37, is on probation for one year and is banned from driving any motor vehicle for one year except to get to or from work. He must also pay $3,000 to a local charity.

Court heard that on April 3, 2004, MNR conservation officers were on aircraft patrol checking ice anglers on Dibble Lake north of Atikokan. While the officers were on the ice collecting evidence, Thorson repeatedly drove his snow machine at high speed close to both the officers and the plane. Later the same day, as the officers were landing the plane to check another group of anglers, Thorson drove his snow machine at the plane as it rolled to a stop on the ice.

Provincial Court Judge Peter Bishop heard the case in the Criminal Division of Provincial Court, Ignace, on August 10, 2005.

Sorry, officer, didn't think you had any "real" authority

July 14, 2005

FAILING TO STOP FOR CONSERVATION OFFICERS PROVES COSTLY FOR LANARK MAN

PERTH - A Lanark man has been fined $230 for failing to stop for a Ministry of Natural Resources conservation officer and ignoring a road closure sign.

Michael Majore, 29, who pleaded guilty, kept driving when conservation officers put on their red vehicle lights in the early hours of April 17 this year. When he was finally stopped, Majore admitted driving on a forest access road near Park Lake. The road was closed during the spring between sunset and sunrise to protect spawning walleye.

Justice of the Peace Clayton McKechnie heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice, Perth on July 12, 2005.

But what happened to the paying customers?

July 12, 2005

FINED FOR FLYING INTO PARK WITHOUT AUTHORITY

RED LAKE - A Manitoba man has been fined $1,100 for landing a plane in Woodland Caribou Provincial Park without permission.

William Mowat, 47, and Wamair Services & Outfitting Inc., of Matheson Island, were found guilty after a trial.
Court heard that on July 12, 2004, three aircraft from Wamair landed on Artery Lake to drop off clients, gear and canoes. A park warden met them on the shore and the pilots were unable to produce landing authority or day use permits as required by the Provincial Parks Act.

An application for landing authority is sent to Mowatt every spring as a reminder to obtain permits. None were applied for.

Justice of the Peace Marj Pasloski heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice, Red Lake, on July 8, 2005.

This one's for Erhard

July 12, 2005

CONSERVATION OFFICERS URGE RESPONSIBLE USE OF ATV'S AROUND WATER
Destruction Of Fish Habitat Is A Violation Of The Federal Fisheries Act

HEARST - Responding to complaints from the public, conservation officers from the Ministry of Natural Resources Hearst district are warning all-terrain vehicle drivers to act responsibly around waterways.

The complaints concerned racing and irresponsible use of all-terrain vehicles along the shores of Lake Kennedy, an important fish habitat.

Under the Federal Fisheries Act, no one may carry out any work or undertaking that harms fish habitat without authorization. The act also states that no one may deposit harmful substances into water containing fish. This includes the silt or soil that may be kicked up by all-terrain vehicles running along shorelines. Responsible use of ATVs, and all other activities around fish habitat, are necessary to ensure that fish populations are sustained for future generations.

Anyone caught violating the act may be heavily fined or even jailed.

For further information on fish habitat issues, contact your local Ministry of Natural Resources district office.

Deterrent sentencing at work...not
July 5, 2005

FOREST COMPANY FINED AGAIN FOR ILLEGAL LOGGING

TEMISKAMING SHORES - A logging firm has been fined for illegally harvesting Crown timber for a second time.

Timmins Forest Products Ltd. was fined $12,500 for failing to comply with a licence to harvest Crown trees on private land.

Court heard that in the summer of 2004, the company cut a road right-of-way through the forest, across land belonging to the City of Temiskaming Shores. The company had authority to harvest trees on an adjacent property, but had no approval from the municipality or a licence from the Ministry of Natural Resources to harvest Crown trees on the new right-of-way.

The timber was seized, measured and then released to the company after Crown dues were paid.

Justice of the Peace Mike Kitlar heard the case in Haileybury Provincial Court on June 23, 2005.

To report a natural resources violation, contact your local ministry office or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-22-TIPS (8477).

It goes on and on.....you can read more from 2005 and archives for 2001 - 2004 here:
http://www.ocoa.ca/Pages_MNRnews/index.htm

Barbara

Post subject: Re: Ontario Conservation Officers Association--"Busted&
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 12:04 pm 

Quote:

July 14, 2005

FAILING TO STOP FOR CONSERVATION OFFICERS PROVES COSTLY FOR LANARK MAN

PERTH - A Lanark man has been fined $230 for failing to stop for a Ministry of Natural Resources conservation officer and ignoring a road closure sign.

Hahah :lol: I know of this guy, he worked with our organization one summer, 10 years ago or so. Likely ran cause he was up to something worse than accessesing a closed forest access road :o

Post subject: Re: Ontario Conservation Officers Association--"Busted&
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 12:11 pm 

Barbara wrote:
Deterrent sentencing at work...not
July 5, 2005

FOREST COMPANY FINED AGAIN FOR ILLEGAL LOGGING

TEMISKAMING SHORES - A logging firm has been fined for illegally harvesting Crown timber for a second time.

Timmins Forest Products Ltd. was fined $12,500 for failing to comply with a licence to harvest Crown trees on private land.

Nice to see they caught them but ......................

Barbara wrote:
The timber was seized, measured and then released to the company after Crown dues were paid.

You've gotta be kidding me right? They take lumber illegally, get fined and then get to keep the illegally harvested lumber anyway? :doh:

Some deterrent. :evil:

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 12:25 pm 

FINED FOR FLYING INTO PARK WITHOUT AUTHORITY

Nice picture of Mowat at: http://www.wilds.mb.ca/wamair/wintro.html
Smile you never know where your face is going to show up. :lol:
stay safe
OAF

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 12:41 pm 

Quote:
Under the Federal Fisheries Act, no one may carry out any work or undertaking that harms fish habitat without authorization. The act also states that no one may deposit harmful substances into water containing fish. This includes the silt or soil that may be kicked up by all-terrain vehicles running along shorelines. Responsible use of ATVs, and all other activities around fish habitat, are necessary to ensure that fish populations are sustained for future generations.

Aren't ATV folks in the habit of driving right in to a river to cool their engines? I saw this a couple of times while mucking about the Poker Lakes area. Lots of ATV trails there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 12:42 pm 

About Wamair flying into Woodland Caribou without authority.

We were the "paying customers" and had arranged an overnight permit with Woodland Caribou via the internet. We specificly asked Willie if he could land us at the east end of Artery Lake so we could view the pictographs (without an extra 5 mile backtrack paddle).

Willie did not mention he did not have a permit to land in Woodland Caribou. His only concern was finding a suitable place to unload our nested canoes.

When we landed (3 planes in all, mine was the last) we saw the bush police writing tickets. Some uneasy moments followed. We all knew the Park had bounced off our permit to bust Wamair.

Claire (WCPP assistant Superintendant) said the annual fee is around $1000.00 and then bush planes are allowed unlimited air access to Woodland Caribou. Wamair had been notorious for not buying a permit.

I just found out this summer from one of our crew that while parked at the Wamair base his truck was broken into and a GPS was stolen . Not sure who did it but I guess someone was looking for "payback".

...........O
......(___|/____)
.........../

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 1:22 pm 

Quote:
Nice to see they caught them but ......................

Barbara wrote:

You've gotta be kidding me right? They take lumber illegally, get fined and then get to keep the illegally harvested lumber anyway?

Some deterrent.

Dave

I bet the timber was worth more than the fine they paid....

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 1:36 pm 

I was with JJoven in that last plane and about had a heart attack when we received the radio call we were being ticketed. We were told that Claire would not let the first plane take off nor make a radio call until Willie touched down on Artery Lake. Willie piloted the second plane. I am greatful JJoven did his homework and had the proper permits for us. Claire told us they had been trying to catch him for a long, long time. She was apologetic for putting us into that situation and apologized again when we bumped into her at Canoecopia this past spring.

Sounds to me like Willie got off cheap with a fine of $1100 when the permit would have cost $1000.. It only cost him an extra $100 because he got caught. If he was not caught he would have saved $1000. With fines like that it is no wonder the Manitoba pilots play the odds.

We all felt bad for Willie; however, if he would have spoke up we would have been willing to land in Manitoba. By the way, Claire told us there is not enough water on the Manitoba side to land on Artery Lake. They have to touch down in Ontario; thus, all planes coming from Manitoba need a permt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2005, 2:00 pm 

Worth wrote:
By the way, Claire told us there is not enough water on the Manitoba side to land on Artery Lake. They have to touch down in Ontario; thus, all planes coming from Manitoba need a permt.

This isn't exactly true. After crossing the Ont/Man border there is a wide reach with a cabin on the left. I believe that is where they normally land.

...........O
......(___|/____)
.........../

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2005, 9:42 am 

I'm surprised the fines are so low. Fines are supposed to be a deterrent, not a minor inconvenience, certainly not equivalent to having obeyed the rule in the first place.

Fair warning to anyone planning on using this outfitter. The anxiety and hassle of being ticketed, even if it isn't your ticket you're supposed to be on vacation. Having your car vandalised. Having your property stolen. Having your trust in a service provider flagrantly abused. Having paid for the privelege of all the above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2005, 3:00 pm 

That was interesting reading Barbara, thanks for sharing the site info. As I read through some of the convictions, I came across one that I was vaguely familiar with. A person I know who, had a floating cottage in the wrong place. I only heard one side of the story, now I have the other side.

A few weeks ago I was in Wabakimi canoeing with another person. We had purchased our travel permit from an Armstrong outfitter and he and my canoeing colleague had joked about it when I put the permit in my day pack for safe keeping. They both said , "Why are doing that? No one is out there checking permits". I retorted that we needed to carry the permit with us as a Conservation Officer might show up and ask to see it. They both thought that was funny.
A couple of weeks later we were on Whitewater Lake on Best Island at the Wendel Beckwith site looking at his cabins. A second group showed up including a professor from McMaster and 3 chicks who were spending the day to look at the site and do a write up. They were planning to leave late in the afternoon via float plane to visit another site in the park.Their plane, an Otter, was to arrive at 4:30PM. At about 2:30Pm a smaller plane landed in the immediate area and proceeded to float backwards up on the beach. The pilot jumped out and and dragged it out. While this was going on one of the chicks, who happened to be the wife of the outfitter who we had purchased our permits from asked the pilot if this was their plane coming in early., even though it wasn't an Otter, big enough to carry the 2 canoes they had..The pilot said " no , he was not there to pick them up." As soon as the pilot got onto the beach, out jumped a uniformed guy, who needed no introduction He was a
a Conservation officer from Sioux Lookout and he was just patrolling his rather large assigned area,which included Wabakimi PP.

I was glad that I was able to show him our permit.

These guys can show up anywhere in the Province and at any time. So be warned. Carry your documentation with you at all times, even when canoeing. They have authority in Provincial Parks where they patrol, via invitation from the Park Superintendants. In Wabakimi they are primarily interested in checking out the mostly American outpost fishing guys, to make sure they are following the rules.

Regards,
Ed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2005, 4:22 pm 

My next door neighbor (a pilot with his own float or ski plane) in Timmins used to be hired from time to time by the Ministry to fly officers out to the bush. He loved describing the looks on peoples faces when they came up behind a couple fishermen from down wind. A lot of times the fishermen don't even know they're there till the conservation officer sticks his head in front of them. You have to remember, these guys are doing a job and they aren't stupid. You may not see them a lot, but if you are screwing up, sooner or later, you will see them. There are enough people who are out there who care and are willing to complain, they'll know all about you before they even come looking for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2005, 8:32 pm 

Hoz if I'm not mistaken the seasonal landing fee for WCPP is closer to $70.00 per plane -not at all an onerous sum considering the money made by these operators flying into the park. The $1000.00 fee was likely Claire's estimate of the fine amount. It's nice to know the Ontario based operators are all running in WCPP legally with each plane carrying it's own permit.