View topic - Tha-anne River - anybody done it?

It is currently November 14th, 2018, 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 30th, 2006, 12:46 pm 

Contemplating a trip from S. Henik L out via the Tha-anne to the Bay. Has anyone got experience on the Tha-anne? Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 5th, 2006, 1:30 am 

Last edited by david demello on February 19th, 2006, 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Tha-Anne
PostPosted: February 11th, 2006, 12:07 pm 

I paddled the Tha-Anne some years ago as the last portion of a longer solo trip.

My recollection is that the river itself was an easy and enjoyable paddle. I did not care much for the tidal mud flats on the Bay however. They could be very awkward and dangerous. When the weather turned rough I took a ride over the last 30 km with some natives searching the coastline for the missing body of a hunter from the prior winter.

My solo trip that year started just north of Black Lake in Saskatchewan, then north to the Dubawnt - to Snowbird Lake - Kasba Lake (I had a resupply at the Kasba Lake Lodge) -Kazan River - Nowleye River - back to the Kazan - south to Henik Lakes and the Tha-Anne to the coast. My original thought was to maybe take the McConnell to the coast because it had a shorter coastal paddle but there is no water when I hiked over to look at it from the Henik Lakes (Not surprising since it has no large lake feeding it at the start.) Sometimes you don't need much flow if there is a narrow channel but that did not look like the case on the McConnell.

I enjoy the variety of crossing watersheds more than simply paddling down a river these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 11th, 2006, 8:09 pm 

Last edited by david demello on February 19th, 2006, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Henik Lakes
PostPosted: February 12th, 2006, 7:27 am 

I'm contemplating a trip in this area along w/ Mark S. George: When you came to Henik Lakes from the Kazan, did you pass through Imikula L? I'm interested in putting in there and following the Maguse R. to the Bay. If you did pass through Imikula, do you have any impressions of the beginning of the Maguse as it leaves Imikula?

I went to the woods to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life . . . and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 12th, 2006, 8:49 am 

David: I agree with you that the Kognak is well worth considering. Again I have fond memories of hiking the hills in that area and the river itself. There is one section where the Kognak is almost continuous whitewater - all runable with a spray cover for the experienced, (with a ledge at the very bottom we snuck down on the left shore). That was one of the best whitewater days I've ever had in the north and why I remember it today. I have wondered about the upper Kognak, which I have not paddled, and going back to it.

Shippy. I had to look up Imikula Lake on the map, never having heard of it before. No, I did not go that way. Rather I passed through Nowyak Lake on the way to the Henik lakes. (It is just SW of Imikula.) I left the Kazan a short way below Angikuni, heading south. That was a bit of a gamble since there was no largish lake feeding my "river" heading SE to the Henik area. But it turned out to have a narrow channel and so was just canoeable.

I would guess there should not be any major problem padding the Maguse downstream of Imikula. Be sure to visit the old Hudson Bay Post site at Padlei. Some of Richard Harrington's graphic photos of starving Inuit in the "The Face of the Arctic" book are from this area. As I recall some of the lower lakes on the Maguse River had so little shore relief (very low landscape) that I had to use a compass to figure out which way to go for the exit (this was in pre GPS days).

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 12th, 2006, 9:14 pm 

Last edited by david demello on February 19th, 2006, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13th, 2006, 7:58 pm 

David: Am I correct in either or both --

(i) In July 1999 when I was at the Buliard Cabin on Garry Lake on the Back River you left a note there from a trip .

(ii) In July 1981 did I see your name in a shack on Fort Hall Lake (between the Cochran River and Nueltin Lake)

Just wondering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13th, 2006, 10:03 pm 

George, we read about the old post at Padlei in "From Reindeer L. to Eskimo Point" and want to see it. We also realized from this book and the account here that neither the Noomut nor the Padlei rivers are easily paddled due to low water, especially when we plan to go--August. The Maguse appeals since it is fed by a sizeable lake. (I guess we're in the Follow-a-river-source-to-mouth stage). Thanks for your input.
Cheers.

I went to the woods to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life . . . and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13th, 2006, 11:56 pm 

Last edited by david demello on February 19th, 2006, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15th, 2006, 6:24 am 

Last edited by david demello on February 19th, 2006, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15th, 2006, 11:12 pm 

Last edited by david demello on February 19th, 2006, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15th, 2006, 11:30 pm 

david demello wrote:
george luste, i have a photo of a note you and others left on top of a hill at carey lake july 2 1969!!

David:

Are you referring to the tin can on top of a hill with a note from the Moffat party. If so I think it was on Dubawnt Lake, not Carey. We were fighting serious ice on Dubawnt at the time and climbed the hill to figure out what to do and where to go. That's where the Moffat party had left a note that ended with "and our pots are always full". (On checking my dairy just now I see that we were there on July 30, 1969.)

On Carey Lake I remember the house size boulder that Tyrrell took a photo of in 1893 and he also says they left a note there. That was their "point of no return" and they decided that by going forward - coming back would not be an option. Not surprisingly in 1969 there was no longer any sign of Tyrrell's 1893 note but we left ours on the rock for good measure. (We were at Cairn Point on July 20, 1969.)

1969 was my first trip in the Barrens and it left quite an impression on me. I published a poem-picture essay after that trip in the Beaver magazine, summer 1971 issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2006, 10:00 am 

Following thread with interest - it's funny several people mentioned the Carey Lake bouler while at Toronto.

Layman said he was paddling the Th-anne this summer on a different post.

-Andy

Slightly unrelated, but I would have thought that some of the small rivers on the barrens might keep up their late summer flow simply due to melting of the upper permafrost?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2006, 5:53 pm 

Thanks for the photo Andy. It brings back memories of being there at that rock on Carey Point. And my office is only a couple hundred yards from the Fisher Rare Book Library here in Toronto where Tyrrell's papers (and these photos) are stored. I used to go and read his field notes of the Dubawnt and Kazan trips. I met Joyce Tyrrell, JB's daughter-in-law, some thirty years ago and got to hear stories about her famous father-in-law from her. Our family visited Joyce (when she was alive, she lived in the same Toronto neighbourhood as we do) at their cottage on Georgian Bay.

And thanks to Andy at the Symposium weekend I learned that Heather Robertson is doing a new biography of J B Tyrrell.

About
Quote:
Slightly unrelated, but I would have thought that some of the small rivers on the barrens might keep up their late summer flow simply due to melting of the upper permafrost?

I really have no idea where the water volume originates. It could make for an interesting study perhaps. But as I mentioned earlier the nature of the channel is far more important than the water volume.

I think a number of us have had to do the awful portage out of Sussex Lake on the upper Back River. There was water flow but huge boulders in the stream bed made it impossible to paddle. And the portaging was no fun. In part I think because I was not expecting it. (Another off topic musing).