View topic - canoe route 16

It is currently December 12th, 2018, 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: canoe route 16
PostPosted: July 25th, 2006, 5:48 pm 

My son & I are canoeing Nemeiben Lake to Trout Lake to Otter Lake & Missinippi..........heard there have been some forest fires. June satelite photos looked nasty.........also heard there is not a problem now. Anyone have info. We plan to canoe 05-11 Aug.
Also what is with the high temps I've been seeing in north Saskatchewan. Hasn't been much cooler than here in Florida. Is it unusually warm this summer?
Are water levels low?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2006, 6:46 pm 

Hi lbeski -

For current fire (and other) information I would suggest you call Ric Driedeger at:

http://www.churchillrivercanoe.com/

He has always been an excellent source of information for me.

Water on the Churchill continues to be high - see this chart:

http://www.swa.ca/WaterManagement/Strea ... Watershed'

I paddled this route a couple of years ago in September - it's quite pleasant, I think you'll like it.

If you have not seen them already, there are a couple of books that provide good information on the Churchill section of the trip - "Saskatchewan Canoe Trips" by Laurel Archer and "Canoeing the Churchill" by Marchildon and Robinson. The latter also includes some information on the Nemibien - Trout route.

Are you going north or south of the island exiting Trout? Both are nice. With this choice, and the variety of routes between Hayman and Devil Lakes, you have a lot of potential routes to choose from.

Regards,

JMc

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2006, 7:14 am 

JMc,
Thanks for the information. Ric at CCR is supplying canoe and transport for us. Very helpful guy.

This will be our first Canadian canoe trip. Most of our canoeing has been here in Florida or in the Adirondack region of New York state.

Have you gone thru the Six Portages? Are there markers? On the topos it looks fairly straight forward...........but then not knowing the terrain could make it a bit challenging.

Happy Paddling,
Ski

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2006, 9:45 am 

lbeski -

Yes, I did the six portages. There are no "signs" per se, but the trails are well used and not difficult to locate. With high water on the Churchill, you will certainly take the "short portage" - i.e. down to the creek - going into Trout Lake. Watch for the distinct fork to your right after passing through a fairly open area.

I will try to e-mail you a copy of my log from this trip - I hope you can accept a Word attachment? If not let me know and I can convert it to text.

-JMc

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2006, 12:59 pm 

Jmc,

Thanks loads........will very much appreciate the log. If you like email to;
< ruskuski@bellsouth.net >

We do have both the books you mentioned..........tons of good info & photos.

By the way we are bringing fishing tackle and are looking forward to fresh fish.
Are we too hopeful ??

Again thanks,
Ski

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2006, 1:50 pm 

Ibeski wrote:
...By the way we are bringing fishing tackle and are looking forward to fresh fish.
Are we too hopeful ??

You're joking right? While you may not be here at peak fishing season, you'll still have no troubles catching enough for your meals. Throw you're line in the water at every rapid and you'll likely have fish. Walleye (aka pickerel) & jack (aka pike) will abound. From those cool waters the jack will taste great even though they are considered substandard in other areas. Walleye tend to be the target while pike are the fall-back species to go for when the walleye aren't biting. Walleye like lower light conditions so you'll have better luck when overcast or in the shade, or in the early morning/late evening. Use a spinner, or jigs with rubber tails or anything smallish (small spoons) for the walleye. Pike will go for anything, including other fish you're reeling in. Pike can be found below the rapids, and in any weedy bay, and almost anywhere else (but they typically hang out in the weeds waiting for unsuspecting prey to pass by and the lunge out after it). I often like to clean a pike and leave it whole, fill the cavity with spices with some butter, wrap it in foil and bake it in the fire. When cooked, you can basically just pull all the bones out, much easier than filleting a pike which can be a bit tricky especially for smaller fish. On the other hand, there's nothing better than pan fried pike, except for pan fried walleye, and pan-fried trout. Troll way down in the deep cool water and you'll probably {edit: that should read maybe since actually finding them in deep water is tricky} find some big lake trout in a couple of the lakes along your route (I've never really had success at this but my attempts have been very limited). Try the fishing forum for more advice from folks who may be more successful than I (or at least will claim to be). A couple of spots where I've had good success for walleye are below Clark Falls on Hayman Lake, and below Corner Rapids, on the river section between Hayman & Barker Lakes. Talk to Ric, he'll probably share a few more "secret" spots with you. Ric knows more about the conditions of the area than just about anyone by the way.

By the way stop for gas and a fishing licence at the Mowhawk in Air Ronge on your way north and get free sunglasses with your fill! 8)

Wave at Phil, my former supervisor who retired last month, as you pass his cabin on Nemeiben.

I haven't done the trip you are doing, but I've been on the Churchill portion from Stack Lake to Missinipe. See my web page for some trip reports and links to some photos from the area.

Cheers & enjoy your time in my neck of the woods.
Bryan

Last edited by pawistik on July 26th, 2006, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2006, 7:34 pm 

Bryan,

Thanks, you've got me even more excited about this trip and now my mouth is watering for a fresh fish .........

Ski

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2006, 8:07 am 

JMc,

My son Rusty & I had a great trip on Route #16. Your trip log was helpful in planning AND when we were in route.
We put in at Nemeiben Lake Sat. 05 Aug. & pulled out at CRCO's dock 11:00
Sat. 12 Aug. More than enough time........plenty of time fishing...........one whole day of fishing, reading & loafing. Plenty of sunny days. Could be done in five day even with head winds if one is determined.
Head winds were a challenge on Nemeiben, Trout, Nipew & Otter Lakes, but as they say, " it comes with the turf !!"
The fishing was great........walleye & Jack........fried, grilled & smoked.
Ric & Theresa at Churchill River Canoe Outfitters were friendly and very helpful.
We will be back in the area some day, for sure.

Happy Paddling :)

Ibeski,
Seminole Canoe & Kayak Club
Jacksonville, Florida