Tim and Rosebary Lakes

Submitter & Author Information
Route submitted by: 
Jana Waldman
Trip Date : 
Thu, Jun 30, 2011
Additional Route Information
27 km
4 days
Loop Trip: 
Portage Information
No. of portages: 
Total Portage Distance: 
240 m
Longest Portage: 
120 m
Difficulty Ratings
River Travel: 
Lake Travel: 
Background Trip Info
Water Levels: 
Route Description
Trip Journal/Log/Report/Diary: 

Day 1 – Thursday, June 30, 2011
Finally got on the road at about 11:00 this morning. The drive up was actually very nice and seemed to go quickly. It took us about 2 ½ hours to get to Kearney (pronounced Karny), which is the check-in point for the Tim River access.
Cute little corner, where a lot of cars pass through. Across the street from the check-in was a hamburger stand. We ordered lunch and sat outside at a picnic table. We have been very hungry, because we scarfed it all down, and it was delicious!
After we ate, we travelled northwest. All of a sudden, we see a deer standing in the middle of the road, just looking around at the scenery. Robert honked, and it leisurely walked away.
The road became more remote, but it was beautiful with forest all around. We even saw loggers at one point.
We finally came to the launching dock, put our canoes in the water, unloaded the vehicles, put everything into the canoes, and went to park our car in a crowded little parking lot around the corner. While we were unloading the vehicles, another car that we had passed on the highway and met up at the check-in point, pulled up at the launch pad. We got to talking and they said how beautiful Tim River was. Very nice people.
We finally launched our canoes and started our journey.
We felt the beauty and the peacefulness of the River right away. We saw no other canoes while paddling to Tim Lake. It was a slow winding river, mostly wide, very majestic. We saw two herons in flight. No moose though.
It took us less than 45 minutes to reach Tim Lake, and another 10 minutes to find a campsite. As we were told that all but one of the sites were taken, we took the first empty site we saw. It was a bit of a climb up once we docked, but it was beautiful! We faced east, and the west sun was lighting up the site when we arrived.
We set up camp and relaxed a bit, and then the guys made a delicious dinner of ribs and sweet potatoes. At about 8:00, they decided to take a little canoe ride, so the two of them paddled around the lake. They got back and told me that there was another site available, which happened to be the extremely buggy side of the lake (after they had talked to some other campers next door to that site who were outfitted in bug gear). We were very grateful to have spotted our beautiful site first.
We relaxed at bit more, then hit the sack. No moose today.

Day 2 – Friday, July 1
We woke up after a great sleep to a gorgeous, sunny morning and the sound of loons calling. I jumped up, quickly threw on some clothes, and ran out to see them. I sat on the rock by the water, facing into the sun. I just sat there and read; it was so peaceful.
The guys made a delicious breakfast of bacon, eggs, fried onions and tomatoes, and toast. We slowly packed up camp, and saw three kayakers paddling by. We all said good morning and they said they were headed off to Rosebary Lake. We finished packing up, loaded up the canoes, and headed off to Rosebary Lake, further up the Tim River.
Every once in a while, we caught a glimpse of the kayakers.
We travelled for about 30 minutes when we hit our one and only portage. It was a little sand bar with a water log jam on our right. We just lifted up the canoes and walked right over the sandbar. We really had it easy with our only portage! As we continued on, we realized that there was no portage sign, so this could NOT be the actual portage. Sure enough, we came to the real portage not too long after the sandbar. We pulled the canoes onto land, each grabbed some gear, and started our first trek: up a little hill, then down the other side, which was steeper. We each took three trips - thank goodness it was only 120 m each way!
Once we passed the portage, the terrain was very different: a lot of curves and tight “S” turns. We traveled about three to four kilometres in turns just to travel one kilometre in distance. It was tough – had to do quite a few sweeps and draws. In the other canoe, Alex was toughing out these turns all by himself. We were amazed just watching him work through it.
It took us about three to three and a half hours from Tim Lake to reach Rosebary, and another one and a half to two hours to find out that the best available campsite was the first one we looked at. We were very disappointed with this campsite, as it was small, forestry, and very buggy. We were also very hungry and tired.
We set up camp, and at about 3:00, had a delicious chili lunch that Alex had made. We then decided to go for a swim. Because our site was very reedy and full of leeches, we decided to canoe out and swim in the middle, however, Alex had noticed, while we were searching for a site, what he thought was a beach, so we headed in that direction. I was in the middle of the canoe just relaxing while the guys paddled – very lovely! Lo and behold, there was a tiny beach area.
We pulled up and swam for a bit. It was a very pretty area, and the swim was refreshing. We hung around a bit just enjoying the spot.
After a while, we got back in the canoe and paddled back to camp, where Alex and I both went for a much needed nap (in our respective tents, of course). I fell asleep so fast and so hard, that when Robert shouted out “I got one”, I jumped up and had to think for a second where I was. While we were napping, Robert was fishing. He ended up catching three 8” trout, and we had surf and turf for dinner – steak and trout. It was delicious!
Once the sun started to set, the mosquitoes came out in droves. We covered ourselves from head to toe, complete with our bug hats, sprayed ourselves, and still got bitten.
As we hadn’t eaten dinner until about 9:00, we cleaned up, and went to bed, which was at about 10:00. No moose again.
Day 3 – Saturday, July 2
I woke up at about 5:00 a.m., looked out the tent, saw a beautiful sunrise, then passed out again for another two hours. We woke up again to another beautiful morning, and had a breakfast of bacon, eggs, bagels, toast, and potatoes with onions.
We decided to take a day trip along Rosebary Lake, further down the Tim River to Longbow Lake. It was a little windy heading out, but nothing too major. It didn’t take long to reach Longbow. We saw a family of geese: mother, father, and a couple of goslings. We turned right at the start of Longbow, took a few strokes and there was a loon right beside us.
We managed to get closer and take a couple of pictures. Slightly further down, we came to a 230m portage with a dam. We pulled the canoe up and took a walk. We passed one site, which was right on the trail. We veered off the path and came to the water just below the dam. We walked into the water over some rocks, up and over the dam, and back on to the trail, all the way to the end of the portage. On the way back, I had to use the facilities, so I hung back and the guys went up ahead. Just as I was pulling up my pants, I heard a moose! I got so excited, I ran to catch up with the guys, and Robert and I headed off the trial again towards the water. No moose. Alex says it was probably some ducks he just saw taking off.
We got back to the canoe, and paddled back to where we made our turn, and continued on down the Lake. It was very pretty. It was also getting quite windy, so we headed back. We took a couple of rest breaks as the men were paddling hard into the wind. Did I mention that I sat in the middle and did absolutely nothing but relax and enjoy? What a ride!
We finally made it back to Rosebary Lake, where it seemed the wind was a little stronger. It took a while to reach our site.
We had lunch (sausages for the men, chicken sandwich for me) with rice and leftover potatoes. Alex and I took another much needed nap (again, in our own tents), while Robert tried his hand at fishing again.
When I woke up, I felt so drugged that it took me almost another hour before I could get out of the tent. Turns out Robert didn’t have any luck at fishing this time around.
As it was still breezy, there were no bugs. Hallelujah! Alex and I wanted to go for a swim at the beach, but Robert was too tired, so the two of us headed towards another beach, opposite from yesterday’s, which happened to be closer to our site. We were heading into the wind on our way over, when it started to rain. That continued for all of one minute, while the sun was still shining. Just before we came ashore, we saw a portage sign, but at this point, we didn’t know where it led to.
We pulled into the beach area, which was smaller than yesterday’s, but just as pretty. The water was a little colder at this end, but once we were in and had acclimated to the temperature, I didn’t want to come out. So refreshing! When I finally got out, we dried off and saw that there were leeches in the water here too. Thank goodness we didn’t see them before we went swimming! We also saw clams (or muscles – not sure which), and the tracks they made in the water.
We walked to the portage to check it out. It went into the woods and we read on the portage sign that it went to Davies Creek. All 3,370 metres of it! We didn’t walk any part of it as it looked buggy, and we were pretty bitten up already.
We walked back to the canoe and paddled back to our site. I lounged around while the guys started preparing supper. We had Indian chicken, tofu and lentils with some rice. Another delicious meal!
We all went to bed shortly after. Again, another day without moose. :’(
Day 4 – Sunday, July 3
For the first time, I woke up at 5:00 and had to use the facilities. I got out of the tent and saw a beautiful sunrise. When I finished, I got the camera and took a picture. I couldn’t fall back asleep, so I just laid in the tent and dozed off and on for a couple of hours, while the guys were fast asleep. We all got out of our tents around 7:00, and slowly started to pack up. We had some breakfast, then packed up some more.
We left our site around 9:30, and headed towards the first beach for a swim before heading out. Our plan got diverted when Alex spotted, way off in the distance, a MOOSE! We headed towards the moose, and felt we were getting closer, but we didn’t, in fact, get too close before she took off, crashing through the reedy water. We could actually hear her thunderous footfalls. We were so excited to have seen here, and as we thought we may catch another glimpse, and because it was on our way out, we all paddled along slowly in silence. We realized she was long gone, but still, we continued. It was so peaceful paddling along the Tim River like this.
It took us a while to go through the “S” turns and over the beaver dams. At one point, Robert and I were following the head of a beaver, which happened to be swimming just in front of us. We finally got to the portage. It took us two hours to reach it, which we thought was pretty good considering we were going very slowly for quite a while.
This time, we had to climb up the steep hill. Not easy with canoes on your back (or so I’m told by the guys).
After all or stuff was at the other end of the portage, we took a break and had a snack. Once back in the water, we headed into a bit of wind. We got a little confused about which way to go, but finally figured it out, and headed straight ahead from the portage.
Just as we were heading into narrower water, I caught a glimpse of something moving in the water on our right. Another MOOSE! We changed direction and got closer. This time, it was a bull moose, and he let us get a little closer before he slowly ambled off into the woods. We turned our canoes around and headed back the way we came, but not before seeing the moose return to the water for more food.
As we were paddling along the narrower part of the river, Alex felt that nothing looked familiar, and that maybe we had gone the wrong way. We continued along, but before long we got a dead end. We turned around and paddled back to where we saw the moose, which happened to still be in the water eating! We wanted to get closer again, and were able to get even closer than before. He just didn’t seem to care.
We got to about 50 feet away from him before we turned around, all the while taking pictures. This time, we were heading in the right direction, which just happened to be right into a head wind. We got through it pretty good.
Shortly thereafter, we came upon the sandbar, which Robert and I again carried the canoe over. Alex decided to go over the man made dam instead, and he said it was easier.
Just around the bend from the sand bar was good old Tim Lake and our old site. As fast as we wanted to get there, it was slow going because we were paddling into strong winds. It took us a while, and Alex was exhausted from soloing through it, but we finally got to “our” old site. Much to our surprise, it was empty, so we docked and went for a much needed swim. Very refreshing!
After our swim, we all had a snack before heading out again. Once back in the canoe, we were all tired; however, it took us less than an hour to finish off our trip. It was sweet sorrow to see the end.
We still had to unload the canoes, load our gear into the vehicles, load the canoes onto the trucks, and drive back to Kearney. We stopped there again for a late lunch (3:00). While leisurely eating our ice cream after our burgers and fries, we wandered towards the town, and watched some kids jump off the bridge to the water below (which I think was Magnetawan River). It looked like they were having a lot of fun!
We headed out at about 4:00 and got home at about 7:00. So ends our fabulous canoe trip!