View topic - Main River

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 17th, 2002, 3:56 pm 
Does anyone have information on the Main River in Newfoundland?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25th, 2002, 8:35 pm 

Check out http://www.wordplay.com/tourism/self_guided_tours/ and pick canoe. There's tons of info on hte Main there plus other rivers in NFLD. Also try http://www.greatcanadianrivers.com under recreation for the Main River as they also have some info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25th, 2002, 9:55 pm 

Go to http://www.chrs.ca click on "the rivers" and then click the Main on the map of Canada.
And have a good day.

Albert

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2002, 7:55 am 

Canoes,Coves & Canyons by Dan Murphy, Jim Price and Kevin Redmond a two page description and four pages of photos. Available from CRCA. I believe that there was also a magazine article by the same authors. I have also seen a documentary on the Discovery channel that concentrates on the environment but does have come paddling content.
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 15th, 2002, 8:19 am 

Here's something from today's CBC website. The fishing folks are not happy with the logging there. Are local paddlers concerned at all?
----cut here--------------
Heritage designation won't protect Main River: environmentalist
Last Updated Fri, 15 Nov 2002 5:14:44
CORNER BROOK, NFLD. - The federal government is scheduled to declare the Main River in western Newfoundland the province's first Canadian Heritage River at a ceremony in Sop's Arm Friday.

Rivers with this designation must have their natural, cultural and recreational value preserved.

But the provincial government has allowed Corner Brook Pulp and Paper to harvest near the river's ecologically sensitive watershed.

Don Ivany, regional director of the province's Atlantic Salmon Federation, said the government's management plan allows for logging and road building deep into the river valley.

"The management plan will do nothing to protect the key attributes of this watershed. This watershed will just be another waste land," said Ivany.

But Michael Cahill with the Department of Tourism said logging wouldn't be allowed within 100 metres of the river.

"We feel certain that the integrity of the Main River as a Canadian Heritage River will be kept intact," said Cahill.

"Corner Brook Pulp and Paper Company has agreed to no clear cutting in areas adjacent to the river and we feel these are all very positive steps to help protect the environment," said Brian Grimsey of Parks Canada.

The Atlantic Salmon Federation plans to attend the ceremony and to persuade provincial officials to scrap the proposed management plan.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Erhard on 2002-11-15 08:20 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2003, 1:50 pm 

Hi all

I am also looking for info about the Main. I have a good general knowledge about the river
but need info on specifics, like floatplane operations, when the best time to go is, river maps etc.

any and all help much appreciated

steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2003, 2:26 pm 

I paddled a tiny bit of the Main one summer. It was in July and by then the water had dropped far enough that it was just barely possible. I think it would much better done fairly early in the year. Depending on what your effort vs expense ratio tolerance is, you might be looking at chartering a helicopter to get you in, not a float plane. That drives the expense up a lot.

Personally, I found Newfoundland's other Heritage River, the Bay Du Nord area more interesting. You can certainly get into there with a float plane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4th, 2003, 2:33 am 

What'a'ya't buddy,

I tink Murphy and the by's had a piece in the downhomer.

I don't know if there's a search engine or back issues at there webpage. http://www.downhomer.com/

Might be worth a try,
Derek

Post subject: Running the Main
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2003, 6:48 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Does anyone have information on the Main River in Newfoundland?
In 1985 I canoed the main river-that was before it was logged to death.Back then it was still in it's pristine state ,now you have miles of logging roads running across and parallel to it.Still it's a river worth canoeing .The best option is to fly in to the head waters ---Four Ponds and canoe out to Sop's Arm.Count on 4 to 7 days depending on water conditions to complete the trip.

Post subject: Re: Main River
PostPosted: November 14th, 2014, 12:29 pm 

Has anyone paddled this river recently and have any info. We will be in the area next summer and would like to paddle a shorter section if possible