View topic - Lower Churchill or Grande river Maps?

It is currently March 18th, 2024, 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 9:28 pm 

Hi

I would like to do this river before its dammed in the near future.I am interested in Churchill Falls to Muskrat Falls.I have read one good trip report by"Six Fabulous Females".

I am looking a trip guide or maps that show graded rapids and other usual features.Water levels spring,summer and fall.

Thanks Karl

PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 8:26 pm 

My wife and I would also like to paddle this river, and are thinking of Aug 7 to 20 or so this summer. We are hoping to find some paddling partners. Let me know if you might be interested.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2011, 6:44 pm 

Jonathan Slater, did you and your wife end up paddling the Grand this summer? My wife and I did, it was a magnificent trip but wished we could have had some company along a few of the rapids.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2012, 10:01 am 

Yes, we paddled the Grand last summer. We also had a great trip, and it was great to have another canoe along. Lake Winokapau would have been a long slog with one boat, but we lashed two together and sailed the whole lake..

PostPosted: February 25th, 2012, 9:08 am 

Hi:
I'm also thinking of paddling the lower Mista Shipu (also called the Grand and the Churchill) this August. Perhaps joining the annual trip by Elizabeth Penashue. This would be my second time on this water. My wife and I paddled from the railroad to Happy Valley in 1968 (44 years ago) and I must confess I don't remember much except that there was lots of rain. 1968 was the last year the falls were still free flowing.
Any suggestions about doing the shuttle, about good campsites, rapids, etc would be welcome. Question- do the hydro people regulate the water flow or is it steady day and night?
Thanks.
George

PostPosted: February 25th, 2012, 10:06 am 

When we did the trip last summer the Grand River Keepers did the shuttle for us, and also had maps (http://www.grandriverkeeperlabrador.ca/). Note, If you do get the maps from the Grand Riverkeepers, they have the site on Edward's Island in the wrong location. As a result we went around the north side of the Island. Do NOT do this - it is VERY shallow.