View topic - Cartwright to Black Tickle

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 11:45 am 

Hi,
I am going to be sea kayaking the coast and islands between Cartwright and Black Tickle this summer over the course of two weeks in August with my 15 lb mini-husky. Other than him, it's a solo.

I have paddled for 23years, mostly on Lake Superior and Lake Huron. I've encountered 18foot swells/rollers and paddle in 20-30knott winds, although I start looking for landing/camp sites when the birds start flying sideways. My regular solo days to areas that I have not paddled before are usually 25-30km, although I have paddled up to 90km/day for a solid reason. I prefer to paddle very early in the morning, starting around 6am, and explore campsites in the afternoon.

I am a photography teacher- and always looking for artifacts of human settlements, waterfalls and great seascapes to photograph and paint.

If anyone on these forums has experience in terms of campsites, fresh water sources, points of interest, warnings of hazardous areas etc... that they'd like to share with me, I'd be very greatful!

Cheers-Melissa

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 7:34 pm 

If you Contact Lee of a whole bunch of ings
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-whole-b ... 80?fref=ts
He is very helpful with his advice and knows what you will find in relationship to conditions.
He is one of the few who may actually respond to you on the rock.
He may not have paddled yet up on the Labrador coast, but probably knows someone who has,
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 10:02 pm 

In the slim chance that you haven't tried already, the people at Kayak Newfoundland and Labrador might be able to help.
http://www.kayakers.nf.ca/
I expect that you have to join though.

And you may well know about sources that treat the Cartwright area, as listed at
http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 03&t=38244

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: March 14th, 2013, 7:34 am 

Thank you Alan and Jedi.
Jedi, yur friend responded almost instantly with a couple of other connections, as he hasn't done the trip.
Alan, yes I looked at both of those links before. Also, to add to your write up about the Cartwright to Black Tickle section of information, there is one outfitter in Cartwright that has been very helpful. I have been talking to 'Pete' at www.experiencelabrador.com. They offer a support package of info that want to go without an outfitter.

Melissa