View topic - 30 days in Newfoundland for two with canoe in August

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 21st, 2019, 8:08 pm 

Over the past 10 years my wife and I have taken the month of August for backcountry canoe trips in Northwestern Ontario and Northeastern Manitoba. We are not white water paddlers but we do love rivers (Bloodvein, Gammon, Berens.) We paddle an open canoe - carbon kevlar, so obviously we don't run much but we're happy to portage. This coming summer we'd like to do something a little different and I'm wondering about canoeing opportunities in Newfoundland for an open canoe. Again, we'd be driving out from Toronto with our canoe and gear and would be happy to do one long trip or two or even three shorter trips depending what the opportunities are. We'd like some time to explore some of the tucked away fishing villages along the coast and if that could integrated into the canoeing, so much the better. If anyone with experience would be willing to share or could point me in the right direction to get more information on particulars, I'd be very appreciative. Thanks.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2019, 10:34 pm 

The best canoeing in Newfoundland is in Labrador.

I did a 32 day trip this past summer that was about 2/3 lake & 1/3 river with only two major rapids (really just 1), the rest were pretty easy Class 1&2 with a couple of 3's that can be easily run. Only 1 portage in the whole trip if you run the one quite significant rapid. many beautiful beach sites on the big lakes and I only saw 1 canoe during the trip and a quick stop at a fishing lodge near the end of the trip.

If you are going to Gros Morne you can continue on to Saint Barbe and take the ferry to Labrador. The Trans-Labrador highway is now all paved (or almost all) and Hwy 389 (some gravel sections) from Labrador City to Baie-Comeau is a very nice drive that passes the Manicouagan Reservoir (another good place for paddling).

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2019, 7:19 pm 

That certainly sounds interesting. Do you have a trip report available or somewhere you could point me for maps or any other resources or material that would help in the planning process?

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2019, 10:54 am 

For Northern Quebec/Labrador inspiration see Al Stirt’s website. He and Wendy Scott are legends.

http://www.alstirt.com/Canoeing/Index.html

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2019, 12:14 pm 

KerryG wrote:
That certainly sounds interesting. Do you have a trip report available or somewhere you could point me for maps or any other resources or material that would help in the planning process?

I haven't written up anything for this trip yet but you can find a map of the route here: http://recped.com/labrador2019/

While I took 32 days I was moving at a very slow pace and taking a number of layovers. If you have any questions about this specific trip or others in the area feel free to ask.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2021, 8:59 pm 

Is there a must do river in Labrador? Every province/territory seems to have one,