View topic - Orma Lake Road, Labrador

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Orma Lake Road, Labrador
PostPosted: December 14th, 2020, 3:47 pm 

Any one know what the road is like? Looking at a trip starting about 90K up from the highway.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2020, 7:38 pm 

I haven't been on Orma but I have been on the Esker Road into the Lobstick Structure. That one is slow due to potholes but matching the name it's almost all flatish along the top of a now mostly submerged esker. Orma might be a bit different but I expect they both have somewhat similar traffic levels (ie: lots of pick-ups towing boat trailers). I have the impression people from HV/GB use the Orma Road.

Keep in mind, both of these roads were built only 50 years ago and designed for huge quantities of heavy equipment and materials to be moved over them during the 8 year construction period, they were built to last!

Everyone I spoke to in Lab City about the drive in to Lobstick had also been on the Orma as well. I heard a few stories drunken fishers getting lost in that maze of islands, running out of gas and so on.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2020, 8:04 pm 

Thanks. I have seen some pics of the road and there does seem to be some rough sections but overall looks ok. We are heading towards the coast, not out on the reservoir. Yes it does look like a mess on the east side.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2020, 3:12 pm 

Which route are you planning to use heading east to the coast?

PostPosted: December 15th, 2020, 8:55 pm 

Thinking Pike Lake to Red Wine River, end at North West River. Looks interesting. Can only find evidence of being paddled once.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2020, 9:58 pm 

Is that basically the route Justin Barbour used (travelling upstream)? While watching his videos I kept trying to imagine what the downstream paddling would be like. Many of the rapids looked like fun but it's the ones that were not filmed that would worry me!

PostPosted: December 16th, 2020, 5:45 pm 

Same route. Just doing it the easy way :D I've watched that portion of his trip several times, not too concerned about water levels but will contact him regarding what is not on video. Looks like he filmed every day. Thinking one day travel downstream for three of his upstream. We aren't sunup to sundown paddlers, little more relaxed style. He is one tough hombre.