View topic - Desolation Sound

It is currently April 1st, 2020, 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Desolation Sound
PostPosted: July 25th, 2005, 2:13 am 

I just got back late Friday night from my Desolation Sound trip and managed this time to cover 170k in a difficult two weeks. It was tough going as I carried all our gear and a seven year old in my canoe while his mother, a good friend from Ottawa, paddled a solo kayak. It was a great trip and I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Desolation Sound

Last edited by Monster on December 4th, 2007, 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2005, 11:26 am 

Great to hear from you again after quite some time Monster. Thanks for the link,great pictures and an even greater trip :clap:
Now if only Pointed Stick would return and grace us with his presence!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2005, 1:10 pm 

Monster,

Great pic of the kid in thew pink garbage bag!

I haven't read the detailed report yet, but I'll thank you in advance for helping to get me on the ocean (and saving me $$ on flights back to MB/ON to go canoe camping!).

I'm curious about ocean tripping, but not sure where it's cool/safe/enjoyable and about all the logistics of weather/tides/water etc. Posts from likes of you and sgRant have been helpful reminders for me to tackle this, and I'm sure I'll learn a lot from reading report.

I have paddled day & weekend trips in Indian Arm, Howe Sound, Sechelt Inlet and Savary Is., but a longer trip to a place like Desolation Sound sounds awesome!

Cheers, Pat.

p..s Had a great day on the upper Chilliwack yesterday, the river's come down enough so that most of the solo canoes braved the rapids at Tamihi and below, which gets the heart pumping!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2005, 3:40 pm 

Hi Pat, I think possibly Steve Grant is a better source of information on ocean tripping then I am as I always tend to understate the risks involved where as he is very thorough however, having said that I will offer that ocean tripping is well worth the experience and I’m certain a paddler of your experience would have no troubles at all. Things to keep in mind would be to bring a weather radio or VHF that offers the weather channels. Tides are nice to follow but wind and waves are stronger and so if they are up… follow them instead. On calm days you can really make good time following a big tidal change though. Beware campsites may be few and far between and get good with a compass and topo map, on big ocean crossings the landscape is very deceptive and it’s very easy to end up in the wrong place. Lastly you must have super strong legs and knees for the particular trip I did, carrying gear and boats at the start and end of every day up slippery jagged rocks can be very punishing. Hopefully you wouldn’t be in my shoes though and be carrying everything for three people and two boats over 14 days, this is why I say it’s punishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2005, 8:39 pm 

Great pictures as usual Monster! Must put a digital camera on my buy list. I'm glad you had some good weather in there as I'd heard that the weather had been pretty wet. I love the picture of young fella with the funny feet! And the seaweed! I can't believe I miss the smell of seaweed! And the way it squeaks and pops!
Was that Kelly's kayak you had? I think I recall him talking about building one in his garage. It looks fantastic anyways! Saw your CT post re the fireworks. Might have paddled along but not this time. Are they still going on mid Aug?
kdh

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2005, 11:44 pm 

Holy smokes... Kathleen.... I cant believe you are 'wee curious'.. I thought you were someone completely different. Oh well, my blonde moment. You are correct, it is Kelly's kayak. and as for the fireworks, they are going on for the next week.

On another note, where are you and will you be in town for Aug 9th-14th? I have an upcoming trip and I could use a bow paddler for the Broken Islands group :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2005, 3:40 pm 

Thanks for yet another fabulous trip report! And great photos, too! I can't believe that you saw a wolverine. That is really amazing!

My boyfriend and I just returned from the Sunshine Coast yesterday. We began in the Sechelt Inlets, then met up with two friends and paddled in Desolation Sound (Okeover -> Curme Islands -> West Redonda -> Okeover) for six days. After that our friends returnded to Vancouver and the two of us went over to Savary Island to camp on the beach for a few days before heading home.
We had a fantastic time and we certainly learned a lot about ocean paddling in a canoe. Our friends each paddled solo kayaks and it was interesting to have a side-by-side comparison of how each boat fared under oceanic conditions. We also learned how quickly an incoming tide can turn an inlet into a whirlpooling river. I would say that, apart from wind, the yachters probably make up most of the danger (and irritation) in DS. We had a number of yachts zoom by right next to us at full throttle and one yacht that we feared might mow my friend down in her kayak (said yachter nearly grazed another yacht minutes later - time to put down the martini!)
Other than that we enjoyed gorgeous hot and sunny days, moonlit nights and discovering new ways to cook oysters on a daily basis! Yum! (Lightly dusted in Bisquick, panfried and topped with fresh homemade basil pesto - drool, drool)

Looking forward to hearing about the Broken Group...we've been mulling that trip over for a while now, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2005, 1:56 pm 

Sounds like you had a great time! Looking forward to seeing some pictures and I'm sorry you didn't have more time, I know a week is hardly enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 4th, 2007, 9:29 pm 

Sorry about this BUMP, Wotroc is keeping me on my toes by pointing out yet another broken link to an old TR of mine. This one is fixed now too and maybe just maybe... I should zip through all my CCR links and double check them.

I only change web hosts every five years or so :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 5th, 2007, 12:19 am 

I think it is great that you are keeping your TRs up-to-date - you always provide tons of valuable information! Although I can't believe it has been nearly 3 years since that trip...yikes! Where to next?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 5th, 2007, 5:00 pm 

Looks fantastic, Monster. Great pix, as usual. How did you get started on this trip e.g. did you do a 'wet exit' from a ferry as you did in Nootka Sound, or did you start in Lund?

----never mind :doh: :doh: :doh: . Now I see that the answer to my question is obvious from your report. ( I guess the first time thru I was so wowed by the pix that I just skimmed the text. :) )

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Last edited by wotrock on December 7th, 2007, 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2007, 12:44 am 

Wow.

Dangit, now we're gonna hafta go back there.

My wife & just got a taste of Desoaltion Sound about 7 or so years ago (sometime pre-kids), only going as far as touring around Lancelot Inlet, Galley Bay and Portage Cove. I've been carrying aorund the tide chart folded up in the front pocket of my PFD ever since. Never know when that might come in handy.

Cheers,
Bryan