View topic - Nitinat triangle details

It is currently April 1st, 2020, 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Nitinat triangle details
PostPosted: November 15th, 2007, 11:28 pm 

I keep hearing a lot about how the Nitinat Triangle is one of the premier canoe routes on the Island, but it seems that finding out details about the route is fairly elusive. The route itself makes sense, but I was wondering if anyone had specific information about the section from Tsusiat back to Nitinat Narrows and through back to Nitinat Lake. It sounds like there are two options for the beach section, either paddle the ocean or portage. Then at Nitinat Narrows, there is various details about either running or not running the Narrows, and about a potential portage from the south side of the Narrows back into Nitinat Lake. Opinions seem to be mixed about running the Narrows. The only trip report I have read, the people hiked down to the Narrows to scout it out, and ended up getting a lift with the people that run the ferry across for WCT hikers. The question I have is is it possible to portage into Nitinat Lake on the north side of the Narrows? It would be comforting to know that you are not forced to either paddle the Narrows or do an open ocean crossing to get to the south side of the Narrows to be able to portage. Either option may be ok under good circumstances, but it would be nice to have a safe alternative. It might be nice too to try to do the trip in the off season to avoid crowds (and therefore the ferry boat idea wouldn't be a viable option). Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 16th, 2007, 6:24 am 

Dave

Monster submitted a trip report on the Nitinat a while back that may be of some help. You could PM him as well, I'm sure he'd help out.

Here's the link to the report...
http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/viewtopic.php?t=6297&highlight=nitinat

Post subject: Nitinat triangle details
PostPosted: December 17th, 2007, 1:52 am 

Hi Dave,

Byron Fry also has some pictures and a bit of text you might be interested in about his trip this fall to the NT:

http://byronfryphoto.com/2007/09/

Richard