View topic - Claquot Sound/Tofino ideas for March

It is currently April 1st, 2020, 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2008, 2:32 pm 

Tom, your upcoming trip sounds grand. Hope you post a report. I am headed to Victoria this weekend to look at gear. I have thoughts of Neoprene often, but have not made the plunge.....so to speak :roll:

Gunnelbob, I agree with you, west coast ocean paddling is best done in a yak. Not to say some folks couldn't handle it in a canoe. I know some who have. I'm more into lake paddling, though, so like the canoe better for that. I would also love to hear details of M+M's trip and can't wait to get back out in that area for more paddling. Kennedy Lake, I read the other night, is the largest lake on Vancouver Island. Lots of freshwater to explore in that area......

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2008, 3:31 pm 

If you ever make to the north end of the island --- there is a great, not very well known lake called Woss Lake that I kayaked last summer. I dunked my camera in the chuck so couldn't take pics, but man, it was a gorgeous paddle. Halfway down the lake (its like 10km long or so) the old growth begins, and it is awe inspiring. Those tree are magnificent. And at the very south end is a glacial creek that is bright blue in color, and large, snow capped mountains. Look at it in google earth, there are some panoramio pictures of it (blue dots). I highly recommend it. Nimpkish lake to the north is larger, but surrounded by ugly clearcuts.

Mariners must navigate these waters the same way a mouse negotiates a kitchen patrolled by cats: by darting furtively from one hiding place to the next.
"The Golden Spruce", John Vaillant

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2008, 10:56 pm 

Hi All,

Well we did make it to Tofino. We had a spectacular visit. We hired a local guide to show us around as a treat. He was in his kayak. The trip was a birthday party and we didn't have all the time, or energy to plan and research. Between the tidal bores, the vast mudflats and the wind, there is lots to manage. And I am talking just about the protected waters. Going on the open ocean is a whole other ball game.

So we headed out early one morning at high tide. We took a round about route to Meares that included some spectacular birding that included a Peregrine Falcon, a Northern Pintail, a half dozen bald eagles and scads of other shorebirds and waterfowl. It was our first trip to Meares and it was spectacular. We took a short hike up the boardwalk. For those unfamiliar with these temperate rainforests, the forest is so intense and dense you would have a difficult time travelling without the boardwalks. They also protect the forest. The grandeur of the forest and the trees was truly awesome. I will post a photo or two at a later date.

We ( read:the guide ) timed it so we would return to the Tofino public dock at maximum current. It was a blast. We rounded a small island or two using the eddies, ferried and took advantage of a 5 knot current to get back.

Two days later we repeated the route on our own. We made a stop on Sloeman Island for lunch. It was great fun once again enjoying the swift current with a little more confidence.

We didn't make it to Kennedy Lake as time did not permit, though driving past it made us want to return for sure.

We too canoe 12 months a year. Sometimes on lakes, sometimes right downtown Vancouver at English Bay. A snowy beach makes getting the boat from the car to the water a cinch! Very Canadian.

Margaret

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2008, 11:04 pm 

Sounds like a fantastic time MM, I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures and good on you two for heading out again the following day... I bet it's not too often you make it up that way.

Post subject: Woss Lake
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2008, 11:07 pm 

Tom,

Thanks for the note re: Woss Lake. I have in fact looked at it on Google Earth and read a bit about the restoration of the trail at the end of it. I am hoping to do some weekend or weeklong trips to the north Island, so I really appreciate your recommendation. There are hundreds of lakes north of Campbell River, but like you say, many of them are surrounded by clearcuts. I am also considering Schoen Lake.....

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2008, 11:10 pm 

Margaret,

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a great adventure. Cant wait to see the pictures.....

Richard