View topic - Looking for paddlers and advice for Indian Arm trip

It is currently April 4th, 2020, 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 2:34 am 

Hey Everyone, the wife and I would like to plan a 1or 2 night paddling trip, in March, somewhere down at the coast. We were thinking about Indian Arm for our first salt water trip.

First of all, would any other CCR members want to join us? We're open to any dates between March 25th(Tue) and 30th(Sun), and/or different paddling locations. We are competent paddlers that would enjoy having other boats for company and safety (even a day paddle).

Secondly, any pointers or advice for heading up the arm this time of year?

Lastly, all the small details. Where's the best/safest place to park (coming from Chilliwack)? How busy could the tenting sites be? Thinking of staying at Twin Islands then Granite Falls or vica-versa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 11:22 pm 

For camping, Twin Islands is in the more developed end of the inlet. So the view will include more buildings, there will be more powerboats around, and you may share the campsite with yahoos.

Bergs Landing, farther up, has more of a backcountry feel to it. Granite Falls has a paddling-only campsite separate from the motorboat dock, and it's too far for the yahoos to paddle. So it's the choice site. Probably at that time of year there will be few other campers. If you go during the week, you'll probably be the only campers. Only Twin Islands has any chance of being full. Bergs Landing is huge, and Granite Falls has plenty of lawn space. There are no fees for any of them.

The Inlet will still be fairly quiet in March, but a nice weekend day can still bring out hordes of powerboaters, waterskiers etc. Weather will depend on the immediate weather pattern. At that time if year it is more likely to be cold and rainy than warm and sunny.

We always launch from Deep Cove. This will be a longer drive for you than some place like Belcarra. But I don't know where to park there. As you drive toward Deep Cove, there's a long stretch heading north just before you turn right into the core of the village. That long stretch has lots of overnight parking all along the east side of the street.

As for joining you, our only possibility would be the weekend. And only if the weather's nice, since we'd be on a 4-day trip the previous weekend, and if that one is cold and wet, like the last 4 years have been, we won't want to go for another bad weather canoe trip that soon.

Indian Arm is pretty much like lake paddling, except for the rapidly changing height of the waterline, and the need to flush out the canoe after the trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 31st, 2008, 9:16 pm 

Thanks for your help Steve, that's the kind of info I was looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 31st, 2008, 10:10 pm 

A couple of bits more info.

If you look up the website of deepcovekayak.com, they have a very nice interactive map of Indian Arm.

If you locate their shop on the shore of Deep Cove, right in front of their building is the best spot to launch from. If there's any space left after they spread their dozens of kayaks out, that is. You can drive right down a lane beside their building and almost load straight into your boat. Then move the car to the overnight parking.

We've done more than a dozen trips in Indian Arm, and never had our vehicle damaged, or heard of it happening there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15th, 2008, 9:45 pm 

Last edited by Just John on September 28th, 2008, 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15th, 2008, 11:20 pm 

Hey John, Thanks for the reply, and welcome to CCR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2008, 5:05 pm 

This is a trip I might be able to make... I'm pretty flexible provided work doesn't send me out of town so I'll keep an eye on this thread..

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2008, 9:16 pm 

Good to hear Andrew, we'll keep in touch.