View topic - Inside Passage paddling resources

It is currently April 4th, 2020, 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27th, 2008, 11:03 pm 

Thats how I'm doing it too... in sections for three weeks at a time and over years. Unfortunately last year I skipped Calvert Island and went one island farther North to Hunter, hopefully this year I'll be able to do Princess Royal Island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2008, 5:38 am 

Thanks all.

Allan, Freda Mellenthin's diary was an interesting read. Thanks for posting this to myccr.

John, the westcoastpaddler sight is a good resource, and based on searches of its postings I've ordered a couple of books (e.g. Wild Coast vol. 2 and 3).

Can anyone tell me, where's the Outside Passage? Looking at maps, passing up the west side of Princess Royal and Pitt Islands via Laredo and Principe channels looks like a nice way to avoid the cruise-boat squeeze through Princes Royal and Grenville channels respectively. Is this the outside passage? If the conditions are nice, I'm very tempted, although those little narrow inside channels are a satisfyingly secret, sneaky way to progress up a coastline...just a shame about the cruise boats. Still, with so much of the west coast's economy now depending on them, it's hard to feel too aggrieved if they allow local folks to earn a living.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2008, 11:11 am 

I have no idea about "official terms", but I have always thought of those routes as the outer inside passage, with the outside being up the edge of Hecate. Those outer islands are of a different geological terrane and are this much lower in peak elevation, and spread wider apart. Thus, you will get more interesting nooks and crannies which are appealing to small craft, but you will get correspondingly bigger water and winds. As you can see though, there are many options for getting back and forth depending on weather.

Local history tells about the First Nations using the outer route to travel, but having kelp beds as protection from swell and wave before otter hunting changed the ecological balance and urchins killed off the big kelp beds.

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2008, 11:54 am 

Don't miss the funky little cabin at the north end of Burnett Bay. It's just behind the treeline where the bench is, close to the little islets. Its a really cool beach, too --- tons of whales, surf, just gorgeous. It's a good place to dry stuff out if you need to and it won't stop raining, but be very carefull with the flimsy wood stove, and remove and cap the chimney-pipe when you leave. It's almost always vacant. I was there during high summer last year for several days and didn't see another soul, but people do go there --- read the guest book, its too cool.
Here's a link to the story behind the building of the cabin:

http://www.washburnemarine.com/Journals.pdf

Mariners must navigate these waters the same way a mouse negotiates a kitchen patrolled by cats: by darting furtively from one hiding place to the next.
"The Golden Spruce", John Vaillant

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2008, 12:59 pm 

I don't need to tell anyone in this Forum that CCR's coverage of BC Routes, both canoe and kayak, is rather limited, but I'll do so anyway.
I'd like to rectify that situation by building up the data base in two respects, trip reports and resources.
Resources are the easier. But those like me condemned to live at the centre of the universe can't supply them. So if anyone knows of guidebooks, web sites, that kind of thing, whatever, please let me know and I'll post what I get in the sticky at the top of BC Routes Forum.
Yours in paddling, Allan

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)