View topic - Grizzly bears have taken up residence on Vancouver Island

It is currently December 7th, 2019, 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 4th, 2009, 6:48 am 

Quote:
You folks that have been charged by a bear and stood your ground --- good for you, you've got heart. I'm not sure I could resist the temptation to run away from a charging bear. Yikes!
A couple of off-topic bear stories:
My brother is one tough guy. Something of a "mountain-man", he's a veteran of hundreds of days in the remotest of BC's interior. He and I were camped-out one time, exausted after a long hard couple of weeks moving a string of horses deep into the mountains, making our own trail. I woke in the night to the sound of a heavy animal moving about, alternating between making soft grunting and a louder sniffing sound. It was between my brother's tent and my own, which were spaced just a few meters apart.
I froze.
Suddenly my brother yelled out in a startlingly loud voice "Bear! Get outta' here bear! I'm freaking tired and I want to sleep, so get the heck outta here NOW!". It was dead silent for a few seconds, then a faint sound of something moving away, then more silence. It couldn't have been more than 10 or 15 seconds later (I think I was still holding my breathe!) that I heard my brother snoring :o. It took me a little longer to get back to sleep :D.
In the morning the tracks told us it had been a moose. But I tell ya', a moose up close in the quiet can sure make bear-like noises!

His scariest encounter with a bear was a full-on charge. He saw it coming and pulled out his spray. He'd been false-charged before, but this guy kept on coming. It was so huge, fast and terrifyingly ferocious that my brother froze - one could say "froze in terror" - and didn't even push the spray button. At the last possible second the bear veered away, brushed by him and just kept on going.

No need to mention to him that I told this story. :wink:

PostPosted: May 4th, 2009, 7:46 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Tom H wrote:
So there.

That's your argument? :o

Quote:
Abstract: Due to widespread concern that menstruating women might be attacked by black bears (Ursus americanus), we recorded responses of 26 free-ranging black bears to tampons from 26 women and recorded responses of 20 free-ranging bears to 4 menstruating women in northeastern Minnesota. Menstrual odors were essentially ignored by black bears of all ages and either sex, regardless of season or the bear's reproductive status.

In an extensive review of black bear attacks across North America, we found no instance of black bears attacking or being attracted to menstruating women.

A common concern among women recreationists in bear country is that menstrual odors might attract bears and precipitate attacks. This concern became widespread when 2 menstruating women were killed by grizzly bears (Ursus arctos horribilis) in Glacier National Park in 1967, prompting government agencies to circulate brochures warning menstruating women against entering bear country. Herrero (1974, 1985) examined factors involved in hundreds of grizzly bear attacks, including the attacks on the 2 women, and concluded there was no evidence that menstruation was related to any attack. We are aware of no menstruating woman being attacked by a free-ranging black bear. None is listed in the compilations of black bear attacks by Cramond (1981) or Herrero (1985) despite the fact that women are routinely asked about menstruation after attacks.

http://www.bearstudy.org/website/images ... _Odors.pdf

"so there" backatcha.

Barbara

PostPosted: May 4th, 2009, 7:54 am 

Tom H wrote:
You folks that have been charged by a bear and stood your ground --- good for you, you've got heart. I'm not sure I could resist the temptation to run away from a charging bear. Yikes!

It's easy when you're paralyzed with fear :P

Seriously though, I had seen the bear and read his behavior (muscling in on me to steal my fish), so I had time to get my wits about me. My friend who was with me did start to move away, and the bear zeroed right on on him. I was able to yell and get his attention again. Then he acted all casual for about half a second before breaking into an all out run at me. My goodness are they a fast animal. He was a probably 2 year old grizz so I took a chance and bluffed right back at him. I took a half step forward and shouted in my gruffest voice "GET OUT OF HERE". He broke off and ran away.

In a sudden unexpected charge it would be much harder. I pray I never have to find out if I have what it takes to react quickly without freezing up.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2009, 10:56 am 

I was charged by a sow with two cubs once in Yosemite. One cub was near us and wouldn't leave our hanging food bag alone, and she had the other. Her charge was more of a faint, not a full on, though she did run fast. We stood our ground and then slowly backed away. Bears are not stupid, unless they are surprised, they will feel out the situation, unlike a moose.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2009, 2:12 am 

Barb, the paper by Rogers, et al, was interesting and relevant. Thanks for posting the link. It's not often you get well researched information like that --- so much is just plain hearsay.

It was noted that there was a marked interest in the menstrual odors by polar bears in contrast with black bears though, and grizzlies weren't part of the study at all. Still, good, solid results on the responses of black bears.

I'll have more to post when I finish Herrero's "Bear Attacks" --- also a good, objective source of information.

If anybody has other links or books to recommend, I'd be interested in them.

:D

edited to add:

Here's an interesting, parallel bear-related thread on www.westcoastpaddler.com :

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2516&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Mariners must navigate these waters the same way a mouse negotiates a kitchen patrolled by cats: by darting furtively from one hiding place to the next.
"The Golden Spruce", John Vaillant

PostPosted: May 21st, 2009, 7:18 pm 

I just finished Herrero's "Bear Attacks".

Interesting stuff.

Good to know what they mainly eat during different times of the year and how they evolved from a smaller, more purely carnivorous creature to the omnivorous modern bear.

Thanks again to whoever recommended it.

There was was a strange attack on Van Isle a while back where a black bear actually tried to climb into a fisherman's skiff --- I guess he was after a fish.

Yep, the risk of bear attack is not zero, and as something we can have an effect on by what we do, I believe it's incumbent on us as paddlers to follow the guidelines and never permit food conditioning of bears.

Good book.

:D

Happy camping ...

Mariners must navigate these waters the same way a mouse negotiates a kitchen patrolled by cats: by darting furtively from one hiding place to the next.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 1:59 pm 

At least most of the bears on Van Isle are black.

Here's video of an encounter I recently had:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAlz54RdQHw

PostPosted: September 10th, 2009, 11:31 pm 

Hey Tom,
I think my favorite part of the video was your proud-devilish laugh.
JAGM

PostPosted: September 18th, 2009, 12:49 am 

Heh heh heh ...

Lol.

I BET he ran away.

;)

There was just another bear attack back east where a bow hunter barely escaped by stabbing a griz in the neck with one of his arrows.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2009, 7:53 am 

Attacked in tent by raging bear!

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alberta/2009/10/18/11440076-sun.html

PostPosted: October 21st, 2009, 9:47 am 

Please..did you already forget that you posted that link on this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=34318&start=0

PostPosted: October 21st, 2009, 5:30 pm 

Sorry.

:oops: