View topic - similkameen r.

It is currently April 1st, 2020, 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: similkameen r.
PostPosted: June 8th, 2008, 8:15 pm 

Hi. Can anyone tell me if there is enough water in the similkameen and the toulameen in the first 2 weeks of august to make it worthwhile? I realize it depends on the conditions but I'm just trying to get an overall impression. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2008, 10:51 pm 

Hi Griz,

Probably not.

The Beaver Canoe Club always heads there late June or early July as part of our Rivers Week. Sometimes it's still quite high, but often they drop pretty quickly in early July. This year they'll probably have a longish season, but there'll be no real water by August. That said, is depends what you're looking for - I stopped once in early September and did a run from Bromley rock to Stemwinder with about 6m3/s in the Similkameen - some nice pools, mostly bumping & grinding, and some pedalling/walking.

According to my notes, the Similkameen (@Hedley) gets pretty washed out over a level of about 2m or around 100 m3/s. I really like it around from 40-80 m3/s. Below a level of about 1m or below about 25 m3/s, there's not much to it.

For the Tulameen (@Princeton), it's really low under a level of about 0.7m or 10m3/s. It's probably the most fun/friendly in the 20-30m3/s range, but can be paddled much higher.

The gauges are here, and you can probably look up averages etc.:
http://scitech.pyr.ec.gc.ca/waterweb/formnav.asp?lang=0

If you're interested in joining the Beavers, the club will be camped near Coalmont and paddling those runs June 21st - 24thish, then moving to the Coldwater and Nicola until July 1st. Good pig roast on the 29th at the Nicola!

It would be really good to have some more members from the interior. It's a good group of people and a great way to get in some quality back-to-back days of river running on some really nice ww rivers.

Check it out and spread the word:
http://www.beavercanoeclub.org/riversweek.htm

Cheers, Pat.

Post subject: similkameen r.
PostPosted: June 9th, 2008, 7:27 pm 

Hi. Thanks a lot for all that great info Pat. It just so happens that we were considering that weekend to try those 2 rivers out so we just might see you
griz

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2008, 10:13 pm 

Griz,

Where did you paddle and what and with whom? Did you see any canoes from the Beavers?

One friend saw a few (3?) unknown-to-us tandems coming through Golden Dawn on the Similkameen on Saturday and took some video. At 130m3/s the Similkameen was higher than I remember liking it.

I stuck to the Tulameen both days, one run below Coalmont, one run up above. At about 55m3/s, that was a lot of water for the Tulameen! Great on the lower run, kinda skethy in an upper canyon.

Next weekend (27th-1st) there'll be a load of canoes on the Nicola, Coldwater and Spius Cr., and the water levels will be just on the high side of perfect!

Pat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 24th, 2008, 7:58 pm 

Hi Pat. We ended up going to the Nicola and it was great. We did about an hour's paddle on Friday and did the lower reach on Saturday ---below the canyon. We ended up leaving on Sat. afternoon but I intend to come back soon to do more runs. We met the Vancouver Kayak club on Sat. Really enjoyed camping at Spence's Bridge I can see that the Nicola could be a bit bony at lower levels but that weekend it was perfect. Have fun.
Griz

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2008, 10:29 pm 

Griz,

The lower Nicola (from below the canyon to Spences Bridge/the Thompson) is actually really, really fun in lower water, with more rocks showing, and the canyon is good when the water's high.

This weekend we also used some different access points, to combine "the best of" the canyon run and the lower run, but some of the normal surfs spots were a shade too high.

Another class II+ run to try when the water's up (above 20 m3/s on Nicola @ Merritt) is on Spius Creek that enters the Nicola farther up.

Some of us canoes are going to the Similkameen on July 12/13th. I think the VKC is there this weekend.

Pat.