View topic - Nanika, Troitsa, Newcombe

It is currently March 18th, 2024, 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 29th, 2009, 10:53 pm 

I'm researching these routes and thought that someone may have information(maybe Ted in Burns Lake) about these. Specifically, I'm wondering what solid information exists about getting to Nanika Lake from Kidprice, and whether the scenery is better or worse there than getting into Troitsa and up into Seel Lake. Nadina-Newcombe appears to be have less wilderness than the others. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: January 30th, 2009, 12:59 am 

Hey Erich, Kidprice to Nanika is tracking up the creek. Anybody that I've heard of has been dropped off in Nanika and paddled out. If everything goes as planned, we'll be paddling to Nanika in early Aug. as our holiday warm-up!

With your experience you should look at portaging the falls and heading down the Nanika River to Morice Lk. A short hop to the end of the lake and now you're on the Morice River.

Nanika has several guide camps. A trip to Nanika takes a financial and/or physical toll. The creek has several large log jams.

Troitsa has easy access and a 9km road for the first portage. There is at least one guide camp that I know of. Could be quads and hunters because of the roads.

Scenery is incredible at either Nanika or Troitsa.

Nobody I know has done the Newcombe-Nadina. I would guess the portages could be non-existent now. This route would have a lot less scenery, but just as many bugs. :lol: From Nadina, you can paddle the Nadina River to Francois Lk.

Nanika-Kidprice has just been declared a park, so the Houston Chamber of Commerce may have new updated info. Maybe?
Also, Mack from Ootsa Air flies all over here and has cabins on Kidprice and Nanika.

If you have the time, Nanika would be my #1 choice.
Troitsa is #1 if you have time restraints.

Give me a shout if you need anything specific...like more paddlers! :D

PostPosted: January 30th, 2009, 1:16 am 

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the information. From what you've said, Nanika sounds better. I won't mind tracking up the river to Nanika Lake, as my son wants to do the Blackstone-Ogilvie in Yukon in 2010, which requires tracking up the Ogilvie for 24 miles. Troitsa has potential because of the remoteness of Seel and Blanket Lakes at its western end. It is disappointing to hear the outfitters at both Nanika and Troitsa. Its getting harder and harder to escape the camps and resource development sites.

Erich

PostPosted: January 30th, 2009, 6:23 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

In the recently created Trip Reports subforum, there is a "Nanika-Kidprice trip report" posted a certain Canoeheadted. :wink:

Great reading and some nice photos. :D

Barbara