View topic - Campfires & firewood in BC

It is currently December 12th, 2019, 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 11th, 2009, 12:51 am 

Hi!

I'm a recent arrival in BC and am looking forward to getting out to do some camping and canoeing. I'm having a bit of trouble with the whole issue of campfires and thought I might get some advice here.

From my conversations with BC parks, it seems as though you're not allowed to burn any dead wood that you find! This policy makes sense to me in high traffic areas, but I have trouble believing it applies in less traveled/more wilderness parks or areas. Can anybody comment on this? Is allowed/legal to burn dead or drift wood in BC Parks???

I'm used to places like la Verendrye or Algonquin in Quebec and Ontario where it's no problem at all to find a small dead standing tree and use it for firewood.

Of course, I wouldn't have a fire if there is a ministry imposed fire ban in effect, but in general I use fire for SO MANY things that I find it hard to imagine camping without it. Frankly...I'm not so sure I want to go camping if I have to lug in my firewood with me. Perhaps there are other places besides the parks where I could go... any suggestions?

Thanks!

PostPosted: April 11th, 2009, 1:18 am 

Welcome to BC!

I think just like you said, "in high traffic areas". Otherwise, just use common sense. Some places you can use more wood and some you can't use any.

We've starting packing a firebox for effeciency and less environmental impact. It's amazing how much less firewood you use and you never have to clean up your scar.

Anyplace that's not private is fair game for camping.

Post some pics when you do get out camping.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2009, 5:23 pm 

Each park has different rules. Generally speaking, "high traffic" parks and marine parks prohibit burning. Others are usually fine.