View topic - Dease River/Spatzsizi/upper stikine

It is currently September 23rd, 2019, 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 10th, 2003, 4:49 am 
Any good ideas on 5-7 day remote grade II-III rivers in BC. I'm thinking Dease River or Spatsizi/upper stikine.

Does any of you out there have information on these rivers/others - logistics, shuttle service, etc.

thanks a lot,

JP
Denmark (highest point 147 meters!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2003, 9:27 am 

Hi JP,

I did the Dease a few years ago. It is not a particularly remote river compared to many others in northern Canada. We did the whole river from Dease Lake to Lower Post on the Liard River. The trip was about 8 or 9 days if I recall. There are numerous access points for the first few days, so you should be able to pick a section that will take 5 - 7 days. The river is more remote downstream, so a shorter trip would allow you to miss the the cabins and road access in the upper section.

The Dease is not a difficult whitewater river. The most serious whitewater is concentrated on the last day just upstream from Lower Post. (2 mile rapids and 4 mile rapids)

We were living in Watson Lake at the time and got a friend to shuttle us down to Dease Lake. If you decide to do this route, I might be able to find someone from Watson Lake to do a shuttle for you.

I haven't done the Upper Stikine/Spatsizi although we are doing the lower Stikine this summer. From what I understand, this trip would be more remote and provide more whitewater than the Dease. I don't think that there is a 5 - 7 day option however. Most people fly into the Stikine headwaters or the Spatsizi headwaters and spend a couple of weeks on the water. There is also an option to drive into the Spatsizi that starts with a 5 km portage.

Other rivers in the general vicinity include the Hyland and the Frances. Both of these routes have easy road access and could be done in about 5 - 7 days. They have whitewater up to class 3, but portages are also an option. If you want to look a little farther in the Yukon , there are many options including the Wolf River.

When are you thinking about doing the trip? I can provide more info especially on the Dease if you like. Feel free to e-mail me if you like.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2003, 6:30 pm 

There is a guidebook on the Stikine that is pretty good. It has maps, routes, points of interest, etc. We have a copy somewhere in a box (we just moved), but you can get it at MEC.

I believe there is a way to shuttle a portion of the Stikine that is outlined in the guide. It would require a sturdy 4X4 and a lot of time, but it may be worth checking out. In the mean time, I'll see if I can find our copy of the guide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2003, 10:09 am 

I found the book. It's called "Stikine River- A Guide to Paddling The Great River" by Jennifer Voss.

And as ddb mentioned, it is the Spatsizi that can be shuttled, from BC Rail Grade to the confluence of the Stikine. It would be a 4-5 day class I-II trip with an extra day for travel. You would have to drive 100 km of rough road and portage 5 km to access the put in, but it would eliminate the need for a float plane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2003, 11:29 pm 

fyi, Jennifer Voss is one of the key people in the Dogwood Canoe Club.