View topic - Canoe size?

It is currently September 18th, 2019, 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Canoe size?
PostPosted: May 28th, 2003, 5:37 pm 

I'm going to do the bowron lake circuit next week, for the first time. I have a 15 ft canoe that the decal says is good for 800lbs. I was told by a couple people that if I'm paddling some larger lakes I should be using a larger canoe?

There will be 2 of us and our equipment...but nowhere near 800lbs worth. The canoe has always been stable but has been only tested on small lakes and slow rivers.

Should I think about buying a larger canoe? I'm hoping the girlfriend enjoys this experience and it could become a regular outing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2003, 9:09 pm 

I see this is your first post Coaster. Welcome.

The amazing thing about this forum is that there are quite a few people here who REALLY KNOW what they are talking about.

I am not one of them.

In advance of the people that will give you expert advice, here is my semi-qualified $.02.

The capacity rating on your canoe is a lie. A safe capacity is more likely 600 lbs (which I imagine is still more than you'll put into it).

At 600 lbs the canoe might sit a little low in the water and you'll have less ability to handle waves but I imagine you'd be fine. You won't stay on the water if it gets rough anyway.

If you're really worried about it, take your canoe to some water and put enough wieght in it to match what you'll have in it when tripping. If you have 6" or so of freeboard (the distance between the top of the canoe gunnell and the water) then you'll be fine unless you plan to paddle in bad weather (which you don't right?)

I'd use a 15' canoe without a second thought knowing that I'd have to be carefull of the waves. Sure a larger canoe would be better but all a larger canoe would do would be to allow you to handle larger waves on the water. Since this is your first trip, it is not likely that you'd want to be on the water in any sort of weather anyway. Why buy a canoe that will handle weather that you will not be paddling in?

James.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2003, 10:42 pm 

I've done lots of week long trips in my 15 foot coleman. On the other hand, if you want a better canoe, that won't be a bad thing either, Just don't think you have to buy it. You'll do fine with you old one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2003, 10:47 pm 

There is a man.... he is Soloman. He will tell you what you need to know about the Bowron Lakes.
Do a Search for him by Author.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2003, 11:42 pm 

MEC has some nice rentals, including a Hellman Prospector. You might want to consider renting before you buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2003, 12:36 am 

Your canoe should be fine, as long as you avoid conditions that are unsafe for it. If you want to up the margin of safety, (and go faster) you can rent a wide variety of canoes from the lodges at or near the circuit. A cruising/tripping canoe is better suited to the circuit than a river boat.

Becker's Lodge is right at the circuit, and has the unsurpassable kevlar Clipper Tripper in their vast rental fleet. They also rent canoe carts. Just a matter if it's important enough to you to justify the extra expense.

Hope you have a fine time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2003, 2:57 pm 

Thanks for the advice guys, I guess I'll go with mine and stay out of the hairy stuff.

Also, thanks Soloman for the info you sent me........much appreciated.

I'll wait and see if my girlfriend enjoys herself first before I think about buying another one.(it's her first trip)

coaster

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2003, 3:11 pm 

I'm sure she'll love it, unless you're one of those guys who gets "stern rage" and yells at the bow. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2003, 3:13 pm 

And remember, it's not the size of the canoe, it's the quality of the stroke. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2003, 3:28 pm 

Ha! :lol: McCue, I was going to make a comment like that but couldn't find the appropriate words. I'll message ya what I was gonna say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2003, 3:41 pm 

Good one Doc :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2003, 3:52 pm 

Good one McCue! :D ...words to live by.

Hey drzandee, you don't have to appropriate with me.
Message me with what you were going to say.

Thanks doc for the referral to soloman...he was quite helpful

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2003, 5:00 pm 

Oh it just involved a bunch of river related vocabulary that in our young male minds were entertaining. But the point was that it can be quite entertaining when terms are misinterpreted. Like the time a friend had a new bowsman and while going through an rough section he got a little short and started yelling Eddy out! Hurry! Eddy out!. The guy got really pissed off and yelled back "I'm doing the best I can so stop calling me an Idiot" just as they flew by the eddy we were all holding in. He had a good laugh.
My wife is a curler so I like to yell.... huurryyyyy, hurryyyy, hard. or Sweeeeper.
Etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2003, 9:49 pm 

And Coaster, I see you're from the Fraser Valley. Should you ever want to do so, Western Canoeing, the largest canoe builder and retailer in western Canada, is in your neighbourhood.

You can rent any of their canoes, and they can include spray decks. This would be a way to do the Bowron Lakes in a WhiteWater II. But don't do that if you want to get any exercise.

Hope you post a report on your trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2003, 7:49 am 

During your trip and pre-trips, you may want to switch ends with your partner. Day one, your in the stern and she's in the bow. Day two, she's in the stern and your in the bow. This way you both learn both ends of the canoe and learn how to do your part and whats expected on the other end. And if one person is injured, the other can handle the canoe to bring the injured out.

And remember, don't yell at your partner when they have done something wrong :tsk: , they may not know the correct way. Gentle teaching is the best.

Happy canoeing, John :D