View topic - Trip Report: The Nitinat Triangle

It is currently April 4th, 2020, 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 25th, 2007, 10:53 pm 

It's coming Tom, and it'll be worth the wait in gold too! Get it? Weight, wait :doh:

The next trip report I think will be saved for the Xmas holidays to entertain all, it is infact the most intrepid BIG OCEAN trip I've done to date, very remote and plenty of risk :o

Thing is that there are so many pictures to get through, and my partner for this adventure Krusty, has been dealing with some home issues but it's agreed already.. he'll do the write up, I'll do the pictures.

Ted, it breaks my heart to see what the WCT has become, although I guess it's safer now with all the upgrades... it's come at a cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 26th, 2007, 12:42 am 

Intrepid, 'big ocean' --- woohoo!
Can't wait.
;)

Mariners must navigate these waters the same way a mouse negotiates a kitchen patrolled by cats: by darting furtively from one hiding place to the next.
"The Golden Spruce", John Vaillant

PostPosted: November 26th, 2007, 3:30 pm 

Great trip report, Monster.

I hiked the WCT in 1970 (at 9 yrs old), and one of my memories of Tsusiat Falls is watching a couple of paddlers lower a canoe down the side of the falls. Looks like it's a bit easier nowadays, with the stairs. At that time the Triangle was considered to be the ultimate Island canoe trip - I guess people were tougher back then.

I've always wondered what the rest of the trip was like. Having a fair idea of what kind of West Coast bush-bashing was in store has kept me from finding out in person! Seeing your pictures & story doesn't change my mind much... But it's good to know that there is still raw adventure to be had, just steps off the West Coast Boardwalk.

Just to make you jealous... I paddled into Hobiton Lake several times in the 80s, camping on the same beach that you did. Yes, I said "paddled" - in those days you could paddle/line/drag canoes up Hobiton Creek to the lake. That was a really magical journey. Once we went there earlier in the season to find that the creek was too high to line up. We hiked the portage trail, and decided that we didn't need to canoe on Hobiton Lake all that badly! Nowadays I think they prevent people from going up the creek in order to protect the salmon spawning habitat.

Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 27th, 2007, 1:39 am 

This slides off-topic, but the subject came up,

A cynical view of the West Coast Trail these days.

Parks Canada keeps improving the trail. The local First Nations bands provide staff for that and for patrolling/interpreting the trail. Making it easier attracts more people, including increasing numbers who are even less prepared to hike it. These people have more accidents, leading to more improvements to make it safer. The jobs and trail fees make it attractive for Parks Canada and the locals to condone these changes.

Then First Nations people take advantage of the opportunity to satisfy the needs of these less self-sufficient people. So there are food/beer operations at Nitinat Narrows and marring the Carmanah beach. The Carmanah operation (Chez Monique) includes shopping opportunities and free roofed accommodation. These things then attract people who come to have a burger and beer in paradise, blind to the fact that it's parasitic, not paradisaic. They are blind to that because the WCT is still farther from what they've experienced than it is for more seasoned backcountry travellers. There is something about travelling self-sufficient in the backcountry for a week that you don't get if you have burger/beer joints along the way. (and carry less food because you can resupply) The newcomers just don't get that they are missing out on the WCT's real character and full rewards, and they're even less capable of realizing how they spoil it for those who don't need babysitting. People like these:

http://www.moderngonzo.com/reports/wct.html

Yes, I'm being judgemental. Here's a story by some more appreciative hikers:

http://www3.telus.net/eugster/outdoors/ ... wct1.shtml

Meanwhile, the air is filled with the sound of planes and boats ferrying affluent hikers back to their cars, enjoying closeup views of the trail along the way. Further spoiling the trail for those who did not go there to listen to engines. Not to mention the vast and increasing amount of sports fishing boats, whale watchers and washed up trash. A huge petrochemical-based circus spoiling what used to be.

Since none of us would have gone there if there weren't some manner of a trail bulldozed through the wilderness to make it possible for us to begin with, we're all somewhere on the continuum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 27th, 2007, 10:28 am 

Nice report Monster :clap: Seems just a tad too strenous for me. Might have to leave my 2 burner coleman behind. :(

BTW, what shutter speed do you usually use to eliminate blur from all that motion when you're so far away from COTU? :lol:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 27th, 2007, 1:35 pm 

Ok ya got me wotrock... whats a COTU?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 27th, 2007, 1:42 pm 

COTU is code for Toronto.

Centre Of The Universe

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 27th, 2007, 1:45 pm 

LOL, should have known...

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 27th, 2007, 2:01 pm 

As a citizen of BC I'm aghast at the decisions our provincial government is making regarding our wilderness. They aren't 'government for the people' anymore --- they are 'government for the campaign contributors'. All the regulatory requirements for hydro projects have been neatly sidestepped by the new proclamation that any project of less than 1 megawatt doesn't have to go through the same regulatory processes. They justify this by saying that BC needs more capacity (and using the max figures), then whenever BC doesn't need ALL of this it will be sold to the american market, and guess who has been funding local politician's campaigns --- american power companies of course.
Furthermore, they've announced that, "Not everybody who goes to a park wants a complete lack of services." (forget the exact wording) to justify putting hotels and restaurants in some of our parks --- my god, don't they understand what a "park" is?
Sorry for the off-topic rant, but I'm totally with Steve on this.

Mariners must navigate these waters the same way a mouse negotiates a kitchen patrolled by cats: by darting furtively from one hiding place to the next.
"The Golden Spruce", John Vaillant