View topic - Sailing, Hot Dogs, and Cappuccino. Does it get any better?

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 7th, 2008, 11:14 pm 

Decided to head out to Francois Lk. for a solo paddle. Temp. was about -2C and mostly sunny. Nice easy portage to the water...

Saw this neat tree with several older chutes growing straight up.

After about 7kms of headwind paddling, the conditions were perfect for sailing on my return. I pulled in and chopped up a couple of poles for the sail. With this sail I have to basically put it up and hold it in place with my feet, so launching in a stiff wind is a little dicey! Once underway with a paddle in hand for a rudder my cruising speed was probably around 6kms. Woo Hoo!!!

After a quick 4kms I pulled in to have some lunch on the leeside of a windy point. Again, It's so great to get heat and hot food and drink from a very efficient little firebox. I used 3 branches for an hour long lunch.

After lunch I took my time on the way back to soak it all up.

And again, an easy portage back to the car!

It was from the car, but I got to see a beautiful black fox and a good look at a lynx (2nd time ever!) on the access road. I'm so lucky to have days like these!

PostPosted: December 8th, 2008, 9:38 am 

Fantastic evening light on the water in the return trip photo. My kind of paddling time!

PostPosted: December 15th, 2008, 1:25 am 

Nice. Thx for sharing those pics.

I wish I had room in my kayak for a firebox. It makes more efficient use of wood, burns faster and concentrates the heat better, makes use of the chimney effect to act sort of like a 'blower' AND is easier on the environment. An all around better way of doing it, for sure.

Where did you get the idea for that sail? I wonder if I could rig something like that up on my kayak. Hmmm.

And good for you, paddling in December! Now THAT's a hardcore paddling enthusiast ...

Mariners must navigate these waters the same way a mouse negotiates a kitchen patrolled by cats: by darting furtively from one hiding place to the next.
"The Golden Spruce", John Vaillant

PostPosted: December 15th, 2008, 11:46 pm 

Hey Tom, guess what? You do have room in your kayak.

Just this last weekend I made a smaller version. It measures 9"x12"x8" assembles and 9"x12"x2" folded. I wanted a smaller one that could be carried in a pack for light or solo trips.

I tried it out on my Sunday ski outing. It was -20C and I had a space blanket set up as a lean-to. With the stove in front the heat was more than enough to sit around without getting cold. It's amazing how good hot food is "out there".

Here's a pic of the smaller version...

They're very easy to make and can use almost all recycled materials. Search Dave Hadfield for more info (environmental fireplace) or give me a shout.

The sail is an idea from Bill Layman. It's a ground sheet for our tent, a table/ground cover for a clean working area, tarp, and a sail. It has paddle pockets sewn on the sides to accept paddles or poles.

Here's a setup that you may like.
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14095

So, how come your TR's have dwindled off? If you want, I can take your drysuit for the winter to keep any dust off of it! :D

Five of us were crazy enough to enjoy an evening paddle during the full moon that just past. Pretty wild being able to see the bottom of the lake just from the moonlight. There were shooting stars everywhere as well.

We're down to two big lakes left that aren't frozen. Currently -28C, so they won't stay open too much longer.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2008, 12:42 am 

Oh, I see, so it all collapses into flat pieces? Hmm.

I got an adaptation of that sail that you will be impressed with. It'll be reef-able so will have a variable sail area for light/heavy wind conditions. And just looking at that link gave me another idea. I was planning to have the 2 poles lay flat forwards in the undeployed state (protruding in front of the kayak), but I think with a bungee, set up like in the link, I can have the poles resting backwards in their undeployed state so they can even be reefed without having to land. Just wait til you see it. You'll be highly impressed.

I'd do more winter tripping but I really lack the gear for it --- I have the drysuit and that's about it.

But Making all kinds of good plans for next season:
http://ripplewake.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=52

By the way, come and check out Ripplewake if you haven't already done so (I think you have, no?).

Mariners must navigate these waters the same way a mouse negotiates a kitchen patrolled by cats: by darting furtively from one hiding place to the next.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2008, 2:11 am 

Look forward to seeing the design.

Thanks for the point to Ripplewake. I wasn't aware of it.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2008, 2:14 am 

Really? I thought everybody knew about Ripplewake. Yeah, it's a cool board. I'm sure you'll recognize many of the members.

I should have pictures of my finished fore-sail in a couple/three days --- you won't be disappointed!

:)