View topic - Bowron Lakes - Aug. 1 - 8, 2008

It is currently August 15th, 2020, 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 24th, 2008, 11:14 pm 

Hi All,

Finally got around to not only doing up a trip report for Piika's and my trip to the Bowrons but I even wrote the code so I could upload it to my website. Since I'm too lazy to upload it here as well, you're more than welcome to wander over to ShiftlessBum.com to take a look.
Here's the link to the trip report - ShiftlessBum

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2008, 9:26 am 

Last edited by Just John on September 28th, 2008, 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2008, 10:01 am 

LOL! It's just too much work to link all the pictures in over here, after I spent the better part to 2 days writing the trip report and then coding all the html.
I'm definitely too lazy to re-do all the linking of the pictures, so you'll just have to click the link Just John.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2008, 12:36 pm 

Great shots!

Thanks for taking the time. It's great to see people's TR's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2008, 2:38 pm 

Great report !.. Honestly I had no idea that you have to share campsites, and it seemed almost on a regular basis...sorta like a Bed and Breakfast holiday..

So if I was to plan a Bowron loop and I wanted to avoid the possibility of sharing a site when should I go ?..call me antisocial.

Early September after labour day ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2008, 2:43 pm 

I would definitely shoot for after the Labour Day Long weekend if you want to avoid the crowds. I hear it's much quieter then, but it does get a lot more rain at that time of year. Guess it's a trade off.
We did end up sharing campsites every night but 2 but at least all the people we shared with were really nice and very considerate so it wasn't so bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26th, 2008, 9:39 pm 

Nice trip report. :D

gunnelbob wrote:

We went mid-September last year and only had to share in two of the larger sites, not too many folks at all.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2008, 9:36 pm 

gunnelbob wrote:
Great report !.. Honestly I had no idea that you have to share campsites, and it seemed almost on a regular basis...sorta like a Bed and Breakfast holiday..

So if I was to plan a Bowron loop and I wanted to avoid the possibility of sharing a site when should I go ?..call me antisocial.

Virtually no one starts on the circuit after Sept. 20. But even in August, the smallest sites often have no one in them. Visitation is down about 40% from the peak about 10 years ago when the daily quota was instituted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2008, 9:46 pm 

Towards the end of August last year it was booked right up until after the Labour Day Weekend. We tried to book then, but put it off a couple weeks instead.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

Post subject: Bowron
PostPosted: August 29th, 2008, 10:57 am 

For the past 8 years I have paddled the circuit beginning on 1 October, this avoids almost all of the crowds and the necessity of paying an entry fee. In all of those years, I have only shared a campsite once on the main part of the circuit. And this was as a result of bad accident where the other party required some assistance. Once you enter the West Arm you are likely to encounter people well into mid-October, but only a handful that are easily swallowed by the numerous campsites on this portion of the circuit.

As for the weather this time of the year, just like any other day of the year, you never know. But for perspective, in the second week of September 1992 we were bailing snow out of our canoes at the rate 2-3" and hour. Never had that in October....yet.

The only disadvantage to the early October start is there is a high school group from Kelowna and a university group from Alberta that regularly start near the same dates, typically on the first Sunday/Monday of the month. Both groups are rather large, though not unpleasant to have around.