View topic - Desparately seeking open water...

It is currently January 17th, 2020, 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 7th, 2010, 5:36 pm 

We decided to see what Pinkut Cr was doing as far as Spring thaw. This part of Pinkut Cr flows from Taltapin Lk NW to Babine Lk. The creek changes from flowing to pools several times over the 6 km one way trip. We expected the still pools to be frozen and the flowing water to be open.

We put in on Grizzly Rd where it crosses Pinkut Cr. and headed upstream.
Put in.

After paddling upstream for a little while we line up the last little riffle and come to our first pool.

It doesn't last long though. And so the canoe turns into a snowboard and pulk.

The first of the larger pools.

On the way up we see an otter and a couple of swans. We brought the binocs so watching them was pretty cool. Taking pictures through the binoculars turns my 3X optical zoom on my camera to something way more! :D Not the best results this time, but it does work!

After a couple more sliding entries and exits from the water we come to the second large pool. We're getting good at this one foot in the boat and one pushing on the ice to enter the water. Even better at the just giver' toward the ice and slide right up and on the ice usually far enough for me in the stern to just step out on good thick ice. Otherwise Annamarie would step out and kick or pull me up to thicker ice.

On this larger pool, to avoid a long perimeter walk, we opted to cross in the middle. We separated with me pulling the boat in front and Annamarie following 50' back while holding the payed out throw bag. Neither one of us is very comfy on the ice so we head straight to the opposite shore.

Finally after the longest walk, we come to flowing water again for a while. Again another reminder that I should be making a couple of poles for this exact scenario.

Near the head of the creek we come to a smaller pool that has crappy ice all around the perimeter because of the increased flow all over the whole pool. After getting away from the first few hundred feet of blowdown and thin ice located near the outlet, we were able to walk on the ice again.

This last sled was very short and our objective (the weir on Taltapin Lk) was within site now. One last slip into the water and short paddle to the other side to our much deserved hot lunch in the warm sun.
Ok, not too much sun then and we did have to hide out of the wind, but we did have a couple of smokies on the firebox and enjoyed a relaxing lunch and coffee in the soft grass.

What goes up must come down, so down we go after refuelling.
Looking back towards the weir.

Gotta love those downstream floats!

Backtracking.

Hike!.. Hike!... (Don't attempt this trick with your spouse without supervision :lol:

One last downhill to the takeout.

5 1/2 hrs later and we drag our tired @$$#$ to the car.
Sure makes you appreciate what those early explorers had to deal with to maximize the season.
We came away feeling a little more Voyageur like. :D
An awesome day!

Canoeheadted.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2010, 9:02 pm 

Great trip report and beautiful pics. That's it, I'm digging my canoe out of the garage this weekend :thumbup:

Brad

PostPosted: April 8th, 2010, 9:25 am 

Great report Ted and thanks for sharing.
S

PostPosted: April 8th, 2010, 12:08 pm 

Very nice Ted. Thanks for taking us along with you!
Bryan

PostPosted: April 8th, 2010, 4:33 pm 

awesome!

Self propelled mindfullness kayak and canoe travel

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 8:35 am 

Thanks for sharing.
I loved that part of BC when I was there.

Mariners must navigate these waters the same way a mouse negotiates a kitchen patrolled by cats: by darting furtively from one hiding place to the next.
"The Golden Spruce", John Vaillant

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 8:48 am 

Thanks for the pics.
Love trips like this!
Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 10:32 am 

nice trip,

I've worked on IVD (integrated visual design) projects around those big lakes up there (Babine, Frasier, Cheslatta, etc) so it is neat to see the ground in real life.

I like how every pic has your wife pulling the boat, she must be a good sport..

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 1:01 pm 

vicali wrote:
... she must be a good sport..

I had a similar thought. My wife is great, but there's only so much I can convince her to undertake and I think walking on deteriorating ice while pulling a canoe might be beyond her limit. Good on you guys for getting out.

Cheers,
Bryan