View topic - Backcountry fees

It is currently February 18th, 2020, 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Backcountry fees
PostPosted: February 14th, 2020, 5:54 pm 

I like the idea of having an upper limit “cap” fee on backcountry sites. Ie massassauga upper fee is the $46 per site, but if your solo or have less per person cost the lower fee is what you would pay. It’s an interesting change. Ontario Parks was moved from MNRF to Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) by the Ford government. . This change has likely paved the way for sweeping changes in operation under a new ministry.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2020, 12:01 am 

I call bull$shit! $57(including booking fees and HST) for an overnighter for a soloist ... or for a party of 9???? Bull$hit!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: February 15th, 2020, 7:09 am 

Yup, that's what I was hinting at.

And just try to get a reply to any letters of complaint or suggestion! It would be nice to see a response to any inquiry. Please post , if you get one. In my experience, comments are ignored.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2020, 8:47 am 

Yup, got the canned answer... next stop, the superintendent. Might be an idea to email in explaining why this is a pain. Maybe the government people answering emails are the same people that are being made to clean out garbage cans (been there, seen that).

Quote:
Thank you for your feedback. Ontario Parks is making this change in order to simplify the booking process by streamlining the backcountry fee structure and making it consistent with our car camping fee model.

We appreciate your feedback, and will share it with our reservation team.

Kind regards,

Ontario Parks

PostPosted: February 15th, 2020, 11:39 am 

Good luck in your quest, FT. I hope yours is better than the 1 I got from the FR PP a few years back!! :evil: :cry:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: Yesterday, 9:51 am 

Wotrock... well, it's worth a try, sometimes emails are ignored other time they are not. I received some info on developments in Algonquin from a former superintendent a while ago, while emails to other park staff were ignored.

The superintendent for Temagami area parks is Kevin Pinkerton... email kevin.pinkerton@ontario.ca

Massassauga superintendent at Oastler lake is Mike Foley | Superintendent | 705-378-2401 ext 223 | mike.foley@ontario.ca

Also the minister for environment, conservation and parks, while you're at it... Hon. Jeff Yurek | Minister | 416-314-6790 | minister.mecp@ontario.ca

Will email on why individuals will be subject to these high fees, a real disincentive, while at the same time the Ontario government has made it a goal to increase visitors to parks. And why the individual fees could not have been retained. And what is "streamlining the back country fee structure". This should be a very simple matter of obtaining permits online.