View topic - Lock down snowshoeing trip

It is currently January 23rd, 2021, 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 12th, 2021, 3:44 pm 

Does the just announced Ontario lockdown mean I can or can’t go on my solo winter camp?(Don’t want to find my truck towed when I return)

PostPosted: January 12th, 2021, 4:04 pm 

Exercise is essential. Sounds to me like you can still go.

Ontario will be placed under a stay-at-home order, which will require everyone to remain at home with exceptions for essential purposes, like going to the grocery store or pharmacy, accessing health care services, for exercise or for essential work.

rab

PostPosted: January 13th, 2021, 9:28 am 

exercise is essential.
travelling away from your community to risk/cause spread is not essential.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2021, 9:56 am 

Traveling away to "exercise" is not essential.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2021, 11:11 am 

Whether or not you are ticketed is left up to the local authorities----It looks like the health unit or county council could decide on what measures are appropriate just as they did for the mask mandate.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2021, 4:44 pm 

So were back to local mishmash roulette. You're allowed outside, so how far is the question. Province says they will have more clarity on what exercise is tonight on their website.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2021, 8:49 pm 

If you're solo, can't see a problem. I'm heading out this weekend myself. Weather looks good and the snow conditions are very good. I've played nice and observed all the rules since March while millions of Canadians have not. Despite the order, Ontario parks is still offering backcountry camping reservations online, so that could be a way to rationalize it perhaps.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2021, 9:56 pm 

It’s a go!government says fishing and hunting not prohibited ect

PostPosted: January 14th, 2021, 9:42 am 

But non-essential travel is not OK and the enforcement is left up to local officials. So if somebody spots your vehicle and calls the locals(incl a bylaw officer) you may well have a hefty ticket when you return.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2021, 11:00 am 

Spoke to a PP rep on the phone. Apparently you can still visit your 'local' parks. Camping is allowed. Hmmmm? I'm sure the popo know about this...not!

PostPosted: January 14th, 2021, 12:09 pm 

I'm going away for the weekend for a snowshoeing trip. It will be 400km each way but that's ok. If I get a fine, I'll fight it in court.

Some people seem to think there will be police checks across the 401/400/17/1 but I feel like that is an over estimation of the resourced in Ontario.

Stay safe and have a good time.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2021, 1:22 pm 

Nope, sorry. Driving for 2 or 3 hrs to go "camping/snowshoeing/fishing" is clearly not an essential trip. Justify or rationalize it all you want, but it's still not ever going to be essential.

So do us all a favour and just admit it falls into the category of; "I am special, I don't need to follow the rules".

PostPosted: January 14th, 2021, 2:30 pm 

He would only be doing you a favor MikeD, not all of us. Don't speak for others. Tell those who have committed suicide this year that mental health isn't essential. Here's a radical idea, MikeD and others like him have not lost their life savings, their businesses or their health during this time. If you support the government informing all of Canadian's that no, we have no rights, only privileges that they can take away then it is obvious that you have had to sacrifice little compared to those who are desperate for their rights to be restored. The worst part about this whole thing is the willingness of people like MikeD to shame others and snitch on their neighbors, he is going solo camping, not coming unannounced to your house.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2021, 2:52 pm 

Have a great trip newbman.Im going to wait a week or until a good cold snap to avoid the overflows that hampered last year.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2021, 3:12 pm 

jbrave wrote:
He would only be doing you a favor MikeD, not all of us. Don't speak for others. .

Point taken, won't speak for others.
Mental health is certainly essential so go for a walk/run/snowshoe in your local area.
Losing a job/business is tragic. I am fortunate to have not.
We live in a democracy that provides rights, freedoms and privileges. Sometimes those rights and privileges need to be temporarily suspended, for the good of all, especially frontline health care workers who are maxed out. If you have any issue needing 1st Responders and healthcare while on a trip, you are indeed the problem.
No shaming intended, DBCooper asked if it was an essential trip, I gave my opinion.