View topic - Using Achray After Gate Closed

It is currently July 24th, 2021, 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 1:45 pm 

Just wondering if anyone has entered Algonquin via Achray campground after the Park gate has been closed for the year. Everything I have read says its about a 1km hike from the gate to the campground. Has anyone done that route with a canoe ie. parking at the gate then trekked in with all your gear the rest of the way ? Just wondering if its a tough hike ?

PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 3:08 pm 

I just did a quick measurement and it looks like its 4-5 KM from the road to the campground...If achray is the destination and the rivers and lakes arent frozen , you could get there via the Barron River.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 7:03 pm 

The gate is about a km from Achray. The gate is not located where the Achray road branches from the Lake Travers road. So basically, it would be a 1km portgae along a good bush road. I have never portaged in, but I have hiked in (and then on to High Falls) in the Spring before the gate opened -- an easy walk. I would expect however that camping at Achray in the off season would be illegal. Also, the closing of the gate coincides with the start of the First Nations big game hunt in that area.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 7:20 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

I don't think that camping is illegal at any time in Algonquin Park. You still need a permit, for day-use and camping, just like normal.

From the Algonquin website:

Quote:
Algonquin's East Side (Barron Canyon Road – Achray)

There is NO cell phone coverage on Algonquin's East Side (located near the city of Pembroke).

The Barron Canyon Road (access road to Sand Lake Gate) is not ploughed in the winter by Ontario Parks. This includes the +/- 18 kilometres of road outside the Park. The road maintenance (ploughing and sanding) is performed by the forest industry to meet their needs, with no maintenance on weekends or holidays. For current road conditions, contact Brent Frederick, Achray Group Leader, Ontario Parks at (613) 732-5553.

The Achray Road is gated one kilometre from the (closed) campground from Thanksgiving (the second Monday in October) to late April and visitors must access the trails and the backcountry on foot from the gate.

Permits are required for all Park use, year-round, and are available at the self-serve fee station at the Sand Lake Gate.

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/geninfo/winter.html

Quote:
Achray, Brent, and Kiosk Campgrounds operate to Canadian Thanksgiving (second Monday in October).

After Thanksgiving, the road to Achray is gated one kilometre from the campground but visitors may still access the trails and the Interior (backcountry) on foot from the gate. Permits are required for all Park use, year-round, and are available at the self-serve fee station at the Sand Lake Gate.

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/geninfo/fall.html

Hunting seasons can be verified through the MNR. Or check the Hunting Regs:
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/FW ... 1275P.html

Or you could contact the Pikwàkanagàn First Nation regarding their big game seasons:
http://www.algonquinsofpikwakanagan.com ... 202004.htm
http://www.algonquinsofpikwakanagan.com ... 202004.htm

The locations and dates of hunting seasons within Algonquin are usually posted at both the West and East Gates.

Barbara

PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 9:14 pm 

I just thought that camping at a closed campground would be illegal, but perhaps not. Silly me. However, if the campground were really closed, I would be surprised if you were able to get a permit to camp there. Whatever. But I'm pretty sure you can't camp at the Achray campground once the gate is closed. You can of course camp on the interior sites on Grand Lake and vicinity.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2009, 9:24 am 

I believe the campground itself is closed and camping at Achray Campground is prohibited but I am am interested in interior camping. Thanks so much for all the information, looks like i'll start the trip off with a 1km portage..Yay !!

PostPosted: September 9th, 2009, 10:06 am 

Grand lake can get rough with a NW wind and you might be forced to spend a night at the campground until the lake calms down. I've done that and the park staff in one of the buildings said nothing. They were COs... maybe they were after poachers and didn't bother. They'd probably understand being forced to camp when windbound.

I can't recall seeing any signs at the campground saying camping was prohibited.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2009, 9:48 am 

My apologies for my misunderstanding of the rules. Bob and WillBella are correct in stating that camping at the campground is prohibited once the gate is closed and the campground is closed for the season.

I emailed the Park with the question "I was wondering if it is legal to camp in the Achray campground once the gate is closed after Thanksgiving?

Is it legal to camp in any of the campgrounds of Algonquin Park when they "close" for the season?
"

And very promptly received the reply (posted here with permission):
Quote:
Hi Barbara,

I am sorry but when we close a campground there is no camping allowed.

Reina
Algonquin Park Information

I know WillBella is interested in interior camping, but I just wanted to follow-up on my previous posts in this thread.

Barbara

PostPosted: September 10th, 2009, 10:19 am 

I have done this many times - we do November trip every year since 2003, from Achray down to Squirrel Rapids on Barron River.

It is easy 1 km portage from the gate to the Grand Lake (at the campground). We do it late night Friday. Just before the gate there is small parking lot on the left fitting easily 5-6 vehicles (there were always some other cars parked as well). We always paddle accross Grand Lake in the night, usually guided either by GPS or by the light of friend who came earlier in the day. But, you can camp at Achray - but not in the campground - that's illegal I guess only because of human washroom needs. Achray has to "interior campsites" - they are for people who start their trips at Achray, coming on Friday evening. Those 2 campsites are located on the small hill to the right at the end of the road, before it crosses old railroad. In the summer they are no good, because all noise from campground's generator goes directly there, but in November there is no such problem.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2009, 2:18 pm 

Hi Barbara

Thank you for your clarification and my apologies for my previous response, which was a little ill tempered.

Bob McElroy

PostPosted: September 10th, 2009, 2:25 pm 

Excellent information from everyone, definately has helped !

PostPosted: September 10th, 2009, 2:31 pm 

Hey, Bob, no worries, eh? :D

Will, hope you have some of this great weather for your trip. :wink:

Barbara

PostPosted: September 10th, 2009, 6:41 pm 

I am definately hoping for some good weather - Are the access point offices open year round ?

PostPosted: September 10th, 2009, 7:09 pm 

Nope, the individual offices aren't open year-round. It's the West and East Gates that remain open all year.

Check the Park's website or call the office, to confirm their hours:
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/index.html

Also, it's considered "winter" camping after the Canadian Thanksgiving, and you have another option...

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/campcan/ ... rmits.html

Ok, the years are off, but the principle still applies. :D

Barbara

PostPosted: September 11th, 2009, 6:29 am 

I am surprised to see that. That is not how it works at Sand Lake Gate. There is simple self-registration box. You take an envelope, fill your info, insert exact amount in the envelope (be ready with enough change) and put it in the deposit box, and keep detached part of that envelope for the car and another piece to have with you.