View topic - Drunks

It is currently October 30th, 2020, 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Drunks
PostPosted: October 24th, 2008, 7:07 pm 

Hello,

I've started canoeing this year. First using PP campsites, then moving to mellow 'backcountry' sites such as Joeperry lake, Depot Lakes and Frontenac. I plan doing more of the same next
year, including Missassauga and perhaps, if I feel real adventurous, the French River/Restoule. I'm not really going out
there to challenge myself, but rather to find peace in the nature. And perhaps from time to time, to drag wife and kids along.

Now, I'm reading trip reports and recently saw some disturbing notes about drunks. One report, in Sherborne Lake (eg. Frost Center) mentioned he felt threathned (only felt) by the presence nearby of drunks.

I'd like to know if this is a problem.

I mean, I like reading Callan's books but sometimes I have the impression he's leaving
somewhat important bits out, such as the railway at Depot Lakes and the frequent train passings, each taking about 5+ minutes to
vanish away.

The Sherborne lake ans area seems like a good, free destination but, in reality, is it a 'party' zone ? Are there other places
like that to avoid in Ontario ?

Any comments/suggestions welcomed.

Cheers,

Al

Post subject: Re: Drunks
PostPosted: October 24th, 2008, 10:01 pm 

I would consider this the exception to the rule rather than the rule.

Some areas are more prone to it but still I I think it is rare.

Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2008, 6:45 am 

My experience is similar to Rob's: it's rare. As a rule of thumb, get away at least two portages from the launch. The party types usually don't like to carry.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2008, 6:53 am 

Yeah I would say it's the exception. And again I would say (as above) that it depends greatly on where you go. Think ease of access, particularly by motor boat, and if it's near a city center.

Every town has it's "local teenage drinking spots". Where it's real easy to boat in some cases of beer simply for some locals to party.

People don't typically say "hey let's go camping in the far reaches of the wilderness and carry our cases of 24 over several portages and pull an allnighter".

Plan around that, and you should be fine.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2008, 7:42 am 

The worst disturbances I've had to put up with were from hunters at this time of year who use off-road vehicles to access lakes and rivers. A couple of run-ins were not all that pleasant and could have been dangerous (shotguns were fired and not at any wildlife in the area), but most of them seem to be well-mannered. Their dogs, target practice, motorboats, drinking parties, generators, chainsaws, and ATVs can be noisy.

The cops have been cracking down on the summertime bush parties that sometimes happen on crown land, with campsites being trashed less often these days.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2008, 7:49 am 

Sherbourne Lake has it's problems in the summer. It is readily accessible by car/boat trailers and as a result can turn into a boozing spot if those types happen to show up for the weekend.
I can recall my last trip in through there was on a July 1st weekend several years ago. We were just passing through Sherbourne and one campsite had several cases of beer piled high on the rocks, for all to see what their intentions were.

As others have said, use the access point but plan to move off Sherbourne a couple of portages , to get away from this problem.

This strategy usually works for other car accessible lakes as well.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2008, 1:44 pm 

Quote:
The Sherborne lake ans area seems like a good, free destination but, in reality, is it a 'party' zone ?

Note that Haliburton Highlands now requires reservations (was not the case when Kevin's books first came out). Here is the web site to reserve and get info:

http://www.algonquinhighlands.ca/water/

I've camped on Sherbourne many times without problems, but always in the off season. It's made worse by the fact that the Sherbourne access road is now fairly accessible. I'd recommend getting a portage or two inland to avoid the issue.

Gun Lake is really nice (and great bass fishing). Check a map... lots of good choices that get you in a portage or two.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2008, 6:06 pm 

Thanks all for the comments - it's appreciated.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2008, 7:12 pm 

The only problem we have ever had were 2 drunks across bay in Buzzard lake in the Kawarthas. They sang songs all night - but they were actually pretty good...and their music choice wasn't to bad either...so it was actually bearable. It was fun to watch them the next day becasue they were hurting pretty bad!

PostPosted: November 15th, 2008, 9:42 am 

Six week-long trips: St. Lawrence Islands National park, Mississauga, APP, Temagami. Never had a problem, never even met any drunks on any of these trips. Did meet some fishermen on a very hot day 4 of a trip, on a portage trail who gave me a and my daughter each a cold beer.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2008, 1:34 pm 

Quote:
Did meet some fishermen on a very hot day 4 of a trip, on a portage trail who gave me a and my daughter each a cold beer.

Now THAT"S hospitality!!!

PostPosted: November 15th, 2008, 3:01 pm 

The worst drunks I ever ran into on a canoe trip were actually paddling canoes... I was camped on an island on OSA lake in Killarney, when two canoes with two slurry-voiced singers paddled in. The stern paddlers were sober and were professional guides taking care of the carousers up front.

They paddled in wanting to know "where the besh campshite ish". When I tried to answer, they forgot the question and started the horribly impaired singing again... somewhat disgusting and you knew that these two characters, Hideous and Despicable, would never be able to canoe trip on their own. The guides just shrugged their shoulders and rolled their eyes.

I watched them through binoculars (always interesting to do on lakes when there are others around)... they made it to the portage, staggered around a bit, then disappeared into the woods.

:roll:

PostPosted: November 15th, 2008, 5:01 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

frozentripper wrote:
I watched them through binoculars (always interesting to do on lakes when there are others around)...

perv.

Barbara

PostPosted: November 16th, 2008, 10:01 am 

Quote:
frozentripper wrote:
I watched them through binoculars (always interesting to do on lakes when there are others around)...

perv.

Barbara

...hehehehehehe....

....BWAHAHAHAHA....

PostPosted: November 17th, 2008, 9:28 am 

When a drunk without a pfd falls out of his motorboat a few dozen yards away from your campsite and starts floundering, do you:

1. Go out to rescue him;

2. Wait for him to stop moving and then go out to rescue him;

3. Rescue him and spend the rest of the night partying at his campsite?