View topic - Little Mississippi River

It is currently October 20th, 2020, 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Little Mississippi River
PostPosted: March 5th, 2009, 1:00 pm 

Hi... I am wondering if anyone has canoed/kayaked the LITTLE Mississippi River north-east of Bancroft from McArthur Mills to the Conroy Marsh? I am particularly interested in whether portaging is required along this stretch, water levels at various times of the year, and whether they would recommend the area as a "cottage" spot for a paddler who would prefer to paddle for miles with no portaging!

Any feedback would be most appreciated!

PostPosted: March 5th, 2009, 7:56 pm 

I've paddled that river many times. I've never put in at McArther Mills so I can't speak to any portages downstream from there. If your travelling from Bancroft, turn left past the bridge at McArther Mills and a couple of klicks later you will be at a bridge that crosses the river. I put in there. There are a couple of places to park that will be obvious when you get there. Downstream for the first hour you may come across fallen trees but after that it opens up to a slow meandering river with no portages. Take care when you reach the Conroy Marsh, it's a huge swamp that you can easily get lost in. There are channels everywhere. The York and Little Mississippi rivers converge here and spill into the Madawaska. You could paddle to the marsh and back in a day, but it would definitely be a full day. Water levels a half hour south of the bridge will not be an issue anytime during the year. It's a nice paddle. I enjoy it.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2009, 9:58 pm 

Thank you so much for your reply. The Hastings County GIS Public Site indicates Daveys Rapids and Loneys Chute just east of Thaeter Lane and I wasn't sure if these were simply names or actual whitewater features. Glad to hear no portaging is required en route to Conroy Marsh!

PostPosted: March 5th, 2009, 10:28 pm 

Dude... you'll have to portage around the chute for sure.... trust me on this. This is a waterfalls of about ten to fifteen feet and not portaging will wreck your canoe and endanger your life.

On the top map, it's where an old logging road crosses the river, and there's a log cabin - hunt camp marked nearby. Be ready to exit the river on the left bank as you go downstream. The portage is short, about 50m. The old log bridge is still there partially decayed and collapsed where it crossed the river at the brink of the falls. Keep an eye out for it as well as any other fast water you might run into. There's poison ivy growing on the portage as well.

During midsummer, the weed growth on the Little Mississippi can get dense enough to choke the channel and can slow you down quite a bit, depending on water levels.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2009, 11:00 pm 

and thank you for your reply... weeds and waterfalls... AND poison ivy... hm...

PostPosted: March 6th, 2009, 7:56 am 

This may be written up by Kevin Callan

PostPosted: March 6th, 2009, 8:11 am 

I took down a group there once and remember little. I recall it as not being really shield country - no polished rocks and towering white pines, but low shores and forests. But I'd do it again, probably best at bird migration time....

We took out by going upstream on the York River rather than entering Conroy's Marsh, to shorten the shuttle trip.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2009, 10:43 pm 

I have done that route a couple of times. We put in at Mac. Mills once but there were too many liftovers between there and where the river next crosses the road to amke it worthwhile. Next time we put in at the bridge mentioned above. Nice trip---saw a couple of otters in the little lagoon about 1-2 km down from the bridge. When we did it in June we ran the chute no problem. When we did it in the fall it was lower and we scraped a bit, but there was no big drop. I have not done much of the marsh. Like Erhard we went up the York and took out at the cottage/camp just before the first rapids.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2009, 11:38 am 

Thank you all for your feedback... it has been helpful in my decision regarding that little cottage spot...

PostPosted: July 12th, 2009, 12:11 pm 

Hi!

wonderful trp you are planning. I just got back from a little paddle into the Conroy Marsh, from the Madawaska / Negeek Lake side. In August I think I will try the York River from the bridge North of Boulter, about 4km into the Marsh, and then paddle the whole Marsh to the takeout I found across Negeek Lake.

I have a blog, and if you want to see the Marsh there are some pics posted. If you have are directionally challenged, getting lost in the Marsh is a distinct possibility, but if you have a good (or better) sense, can recall landmarks, and can pick a very slow moving channel, you should be alright.

http://theaccidentalcanoeist.blogspot.com/

David

PostPosted: August 12th, 2009, 12:39 am 

Just got back from a short trip on the Little Mississippi from the Burnt Bridge Road bridge. We headed south (upstream) about 1.5km, a nice wide channel, lots of weed/marsh on each side. Around here the open channel is roughly 50 feet wide, and total width bank to bank between 100-200 feet or so. Very quiet and serene.

http://theaccidentalcanoeist.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: August 12th, 2009, 12:31 pm 

I have now paddled the Little Mississippi a number of times from the bridge at Boulter Road to Loney's Chute... a very pretty trip. I have run Dayey's rapids on two occasions at "high tide" but I have not yet attempted Loney's Chute nor tried the portage. Definitely rocky features that require portaging at low water levels. Weeds can also be a problem when the water is low. But when the water is high, quite a little paradise! And you can never predict from week to week what water level may greet you.

Looking forward to putting in at the Burnt Bridge and exploring that area soon, as well as Conroy's Marsh!

PostPosted: August 12th, 2009, 1:27 pm 

I really enjoy this paddle as well. Never wrote it up because its not a true canoe route with campsites and such. One great trip is to go down the York (I did write this one up) to Conroy Marsh and then up the Little Mississippi.

Kevin Callan

PostPosted: August 12th, 2009, 2:06 pm 

Thank you for the tip regarding your York River-Conroy Marsh-Little Mississippi write-up... I will definitely look that up. But please don't do a write-up about the rest of the Little Mississippi... we all know what happens when you write about serene, remote little bits of wilderness :(

PostPosted: August 12th, 2009, 2:14 pm 

Quote:
But please don't do a write-up about... we all know what happens when you write about serene, remote little bits of wilderness

I am sure Kevin has quite a few little spots that he won't write about - where else would he go when he needs to stay away from us all. :wink:

I understand that reaction of yours - it's a "no-brainer". Unfortunately, if you follow that logic and then at some point need to protect an area from industrial or other destructive use, you will have no allies where you can get support.

I had a little "secret route" and decided to encourage others to paddle there as well. And I am happy I did it.
http://pages.interlog.com/~erhard/spanish.htm