View topic - Superior bound...

It is currently October 26th, 2020, 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Superior bound...
PostPosted: December 27th, 2009, 1:45 pm 

Hi

I am Heading up to the north shore in August. Planning on hikeing some of the coastal trail, short canoe trips 3-4 days.
i do not drive any more, so this trip will be a gental pace trip. Plan on walking, thumbing rides. I paint, so i am looking for great places to just set up for a few days to paint. I plan to start around Rossport and work my way south.

I am looking for advice on places to vist, non tourist areas. May bee hike up a logging road to a small lake or river and camp.
I have no set departure time and am looing for a ride north, at the start of Aug. from eastern ont, but can meet some one in the GTA.

I look forward to every ones input Thanks

Norman k.

Post subject: Re: Superior bound...
PostPosted: December 27th, 2009, 4:33 pm 

HI Norman!
Have you thought about taking the ACR (Algoma Central Rail)
There are all sorts of crown land lakes and there is that new area of King Mountain which is my back up trip (for no water) next fall, week of the Sept 23 full moon you are welcome if you want.
or if you want to be able to hike in along the Towab trail along the Agawa, or if you want to camp here
On the Agawa great brook trout, and you can paddle upstream for quite away. just get the train to drop you off and pick you up.
But really anywhere along that shore of Superior is a good place to go.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: December 27th, 2009, 8:23 pm 

Hi

Thanks for the info.... did do the agawa trip in 81 all the way ti hurst and back....I was much younger than, LOL ... would like to get off the train this time ...
one of the ideas was if posible to hike from the canyon down river to superior ...if that is posible.

yes would be interested in hooking up re the 23... i have no agenda this trip or time line ..just starting far north when it is warm and hope fully keeping the cool weater at my back.... spent two weeks camped at S.P.P in in sept 81 and have always wanted to get back .... will definatly be stopping at the montreal
river to tip my hat to the group of seven..... will check out the trail
you mentioned thanks for the photo looks great

norman k

PostPosted: December 27th, 2009, 8:52 pm 

Hi Jeff ...just googled towab trail and king mountian ......
thanks they look great ..... makes me want to leave soon as spring gets here... norman k.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2009, 10:06 pm 

I know Naturally superior Adventures does their hiking trip from the train coming south, You could ask if they would give you the Track mile they get off at, but I am sure the ACR people would know it too.
The Train Might be able to stop and let you off at the little agawa another great spot to sit and paint!,and It would not be too bad of a hike from there. A little bush wacking and rock hopping and I could give you a few short cuts!
But the Camp site at the Canyon inside the canyon is another great spot just to sit.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: December 28th, 2009, 6:02 pm 

Hi
You could easily spend a month in the islands infront of Rossport alone! There are a number of panoramic views, abandoned fishing establishments, waterfalls, safe havens, hiking trails, sea arches, light houses etc... Rossport is a convenient starting location. I have parked at Superior Outfitters in Rossport and paddled back to SSMarie, then taken the Greyhound Bus back for the car. It's not a regular stop, but if you ask the bus driver nicely, they'll usually stop anywhere safe on the side of the highway to let you off. The hike to the Outfitters from the highway is an easy 5minutes.

As Jeff mentioned, Towab trail is a nice hike too. You can hike from the falls down to the highway and a little further onto the Agawa Bay visitor center. From the main falls area where the tourist train stops, all the way back to the visitor's center is probably about 20km each way. The Towab hike has quite a bit of eleveation- take hiking sticks.

Here's a few more things to add to the list, going from west to east.
Worthington Bay- pictograph, links into the Voyageur Hiking trail Pres'Quille Section
Les Petit Ecrits - beautiful campsite with small islands to shelter, links to the Voyageur Hiking Trail
Terrace Bay- 40minute uphill hike into town to restock on supplies if necessary
Aguasabon Falls- paddle up and then hike
Victoria Bay- lots of camping options for an early crossing to the Slates if you go there. It's about a 14km open water crossing.
Jackfish- ghost town from the coal mining days. Coal can still be found on the beach
Bottle Cove- small waterfall with small pebble beach. Fits one tent, cozy but very secluded
Prairie Cove/River- nature reserve, but neat to explore sand dunes, river life
Pic Island- Windy Bay is the best landing option to let you explore. There used to be a hiking trail up the mountain, largely overgrown last year though. Caribou are on that island
Foster Island area flat rock camping options similar to Georgian Bay, wetlands between island and mainland attract moose
Devil's Cove to Red Sucker Cove- Amazing towering cliff with the train running on the edge of it.
Ypres Point- flat rock camping options, watch the town of Marathon from a distance at night makes it look like a model train set.

There's lots written on Pukaskwa NP and LSPP. If you need mor einfo on that, let me know.
Melissa

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2010, 11:21 am 

Melissa,

Thanks for all the great info, its just what I am looking for.
small out ot the way places. Checked out the web site for
Superior out fitters, I think I will be renting a canoe for a week to get out into the Islands.

so much to choose from. looking more like I will split trip in to three areas. Rossport, Pukaskwa and Agawa River.

Hope all Had a great holiday season

Norman K.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2010, 5:32 pm 

Norm

While you're in the area think about visiting the Slate Islands and the ghost town of Jackfish.

See http://cariboucharters.com for lots of information.

Kathy and I have spent the past three falls (Sept 5 - 22) on the Slates and exploring the area.
You'll find the Slates pretty well deserted by Labour Day and the caribou getting ready for the rut.
The moderating influence of the lake keeps the Slates pretty livable until mid September.
We swam in Lake Superior until the 22nd of September last year.

Scott

PostPosted: February 10th, 2010, 4:55 pm 

norman k. wrote:
Melissa,

Thanks for all the great info, its just what I am looking for.
small out ot the way places. Checked out the web site for
Superior out fitters, I think I will be renting a canoe for a week to get out into the Islands.

so much to choose from. looking more like I will split trip in to three areas. Rossport, Pukaskwa and Agawa River.

Hope all Had a great holiday season

Norman K.

Norman,

if you decide on Pukaskwa NP send me a PM and I can boat you down to the end of the coastal hiking trail. I am always looking for an excuse to hit the southern part of the park.

Byron

PostPosted: February 16th, 2010, 9:50 pm 

Hi Scott and Byron

thanks for the info.. well at this point my trip is to be about
12 days. my current employer, is reluctant to give me more than my 2 weeks. :o :o .... so looks like I will fly to t.bay from t.o. and canoe Rosport area. Than head for your neck of the woods Byron for a very short visit. so maybee a day trip??

Thanks for the offer of a drop off very much appreciated kindness

hope all are well....the days are geting longer.......spring is comming...

Norman k.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2010, 10:04 pm 

norman k. wrote:
....... my current employer, is reluctant to give me more than my 2 weeks...

I can't wait for the economy to improve so I can back to hating my job rather than just being glad I have one :D

Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2010, 8:43 pm 

Interesting topic.

We have been canoeing for a number of years in small inland lakes and rivers (not that there is anything wrong with that) and we have an itch to try some big open water for a change...like Superior.

I believe there are canoe routes in Pukaskwa National park and in Lake Superior provincial park. We were also consider Georgian Bay in the vicinity of Philip Edward Island.

How different would these venues be? I am told that in paddling the superior shore one normally gets a shuttle to the starting point and then paddle back to the car. Can someone recommend a shuttle service?

We are planning to go the last week in July.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2010, 8:58 pm 

Shuttle Services depend on which end of the lake you are talking about.
For the Sleeping Giant/Rossport area, I use Superior Outfitters (David Tamblyn).
For the Pukaskwa and Eastern Sections, I use Naturally Superior Adventures (David Wells).
Costs for shuttles between these two outfitters vary greatly.
There are way more people in the Georgian Bay area that you mention than Superior. Superior is way colder for swimming too and the waves get WAY bigger along the coastal sections. The inland routes are nice, less populated and there are a number of loop options available in LSPP, which help to avoid the need for shuttles.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2010, 8:04 am 

If you are new to big lake paddling I would suggest going to an area that has islands. The islands break up the big waves and provide shelter for camping and for landing/leaving the shore.

Georgian Bay has the 30,000 islands. Pointe au Baril and south more of the islands are privately owned and cottages predominate. You were thinking of the Killarney area and that may be good idea with the combination of small and large islands and more camping opportunities on Crown Land.

For Lake Superior I would recommend the Rossport/Nipigon area. The large islands provide some safer paddling and refuges. The Pukaskwa/Wawa/Lake Superior Park shoreline is very exposed with few islands for shelter. This section of Lake Superior is better suited for paddlers with big water skills and experience or with time to spare. Depending on the summer (not the summer of 2009), there can be long stretches of calm or light winds when the big lake is under the influence of a stationary high pressure weather system. But if the wind picks up then it is important to have the extra time to be windbound and not be tempted to paddle in the big waves because you have to be back to work on Monday.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2010, 9:11 pm 

Another option is to set up a base camp at places like Agawa Bay or Gargantua Harbour in Lake Superior Provincial Park; at the mouth of the Michipicoten River (Naturally Superior Adventures); Hattie Cove (Pukaskwa N.P.) or at Neys Provincial Park. Depending on the marine weather forecast, you could take day trips or overnight trips and return to your base camp.

Check out the marine weather forecast at the website below before you head north to Superior. It will give you a heads-up on whether the the lake will allow a multi-night trip or a series of day trips.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/greatlakes/?c=map&l=ls&p=a&m=ws