View topic - Friends of McCrae Lake

It is currently December 5th, 2020, 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Friends of McCrae Lake
PostPosted: September 6th, 2012, 11:26 am 

does anyone have any contact information on the group? I couldn't find anyone on lie. Thsnk you for your assistance'

Jerry

Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.....Henry David Thoreau

PostPosted: September 13th, 2012, 7:47 am 

I am sorry to say that through my research I have found that the group Friends of McCrae has no members. I am endeavouring, in conjunction with Barrie Canoe and Kayak Club, MNR etc. to revive this group. I know there is a twice yearly clean up effort. I have a facebook page started "McCrae Lake a Georgian Bay Gem". If any and all become part of the solution, regardless of where the blame may lay, then maybe we can do something that will return this little lake to it's former beauty.

Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.....Henry David Thoreau

PostPosted: September 13th, 2012, 3:51 pm 

Hi Jerry,

Let me save you a lot of time on this one because I have been down this road before.

First you are correct it no longer exists, but in a way it does as a loose group of folks who regularly clean up McCrea..So rather than start it up again, I do like your facebook page idea, please join us in next years clean up ...There is a variety of different stakeholders to seeing McCrea come back including the Georgian Bay Land Trust, The MNR, the local municipality, TROOP, the Barrie Canoe Club , myself and a few others. Really the best work is to enlist others to assist us in the cleanup.

Cheers!

PostPosted: September 14th, 2012, 4:14 pm 

More people, more canoes, more garbage can be hauled out.

It was a great day on the water.

RR

PostPosted: September 15th, 2012, 9:41 am 

so when was, when is the clean up planned for? How does one go about getting involved?

PostPosted: September 15th, 2012, 9:53 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

jerryc wrote:
so when was, when is the clean up planned for? How does one go about getting involved?

Any future planned trips could be posted in the Events forum.

Ideally, a fair bit of advance notice would be best.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2012, 10:02 am 

As noted above, I have initiated a facebook page for the clean up of McCrae Lake. The more communication means utilyzed, the more people will be aware. Who organizes these events? I am not trying to be difficult or step on anyones toes but it seems a little hit and miss. Is there someone out there who actually sets the dates, if so who?

PostPosted: September 15th, 2012, 10:42 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

jerryc wrote:
As noted above, I have initiated a facebook page for the clean up of McCrae Lake. The more communication means utilyzed, the more people will be aware. Who organizes these events? I am not trying to be difficult or step on anyones toes but it seems a little hit and miss. Is there someone out there who actually sets the dates, if so who?

As gunnelbob posted, the Barrie Canoe and Kayak Club are the main organizers.

http://www.bckc.ca/

The clean-up trip is listed under their "summer trips", but it also says that you need to be a member to join these trips.

Hopefully someone can clear this up. I know we've got some BCKC members here on CCR.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2012, 2:12 pm 

I think we all kinda got too busy with life....
haven't been on that lake during summer in years!!
Has it been trashed lately?
We used to clean it up twice a year weekend after May 24 & weekend after Labour Day....
Good to hear barrie canoe club is still involved!!!!

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2012, 4:14 pm 

First you dont have to be a Barrie Canoe Club Member in order to join in on the McCrea clean up... I have been doing it for years and I still havent joined ( although by now I ought to). You will have to sign a waiver before the clean up because it is an organized trip. Yes Kevin, we clean up as per the original schedule week-end after May 24 and Weekend after Labour Day . We pick those dates because it sees the most traffic on those week-ends.

Finally I was announcing the week-end clean up a month prior to folks could join in , but it mostly fell on deaf ears and only one party showed so I grew a tad tired of the announcement. Again you all know the dates , you can mark them in your calendar for next year.

While the thought of a clean up of others garbage , on the surface doesn't sound like "gee sounds like fun"...it is one of the most enriching experiences I have all year.

This year I met the previous poster "Ravinerat" who recognized me from 20 yards from my avatar and we instantly started sharing various paddling and map apps for our iphones and it was a nice confluence of canoe tripping geekdom..I also coveted his Alchemist canoe and his Value Village score of old MEC river pants.

Also when cleaning , I tore down a tarp the size of a large swimming pool cover and scored about a 200 yards of new rope. The first year we found a new pair of Oakley sunglasses that my son found and kept.

This year was a great year , a perfect one. It really is amazing to get all stakeholders who volunteer their time.Candace who recently retired from the MNR came out with her husband and volunteered cause she enjoys it so much.So mark your calendars now for next year and we will see you then!

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 10:35 pm 

Bumping this subject to the top to let you know of trail maintenance recently done on the McCrae north and south cross country ski trails maintained by the Five Winds Back Country Ski Club. dated end of October 2013.

Major work was done in the summer of 2011 to mark and clear the section to the Mccrae North trail from the McCrea Narrows up through Hog's Back and Bellevedere Point, past Wasa Lake all the way to Double Dam Junction.

Major work was also done in the fall of 2013 to reclaim the "lost mile" - "the last mile" - a section of the McCrae South ski trail that was overgrown with juniper. more details in next post continued

Last edited by Andyh on November 9th, 2013, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 10:46 pm 

2013 Trail work at McCrea Lake: :

McCrae North: The Five Winds Ski trail was maintained by a Five Winds trail crew on the weekend of Oct 19 & 20, 2013. Many markers were repaired or replaced, blow downs cleared when possible. The trail repair work was done on the trail section from Muskoka Road 33 to Double Dam Junction. The trail crew noted on this date that the large permanent "earth beaver dam" at Amikwish Lake had been washed out by flooding, and that the secondary beaver dam at the location (downstream from the main one) was now the only way across the river (stream) . You are now going to get your feet wet crossing the water at this location (double dam junction) , until the beavers build up the smaller dam to the size of the previous large dam.

McCrae South: On the weekend of Nov 2 & 3, 2013, myself (Andy Hueton) and Lynn C. hiked the McCrae south ski trail from the Georgian Bay road parking lot to Ganyon Bay on Georgian Bay. We overnighted at a site on the south shore of McCrea Lake, a couple of kilometers from the McCrae Narrows. Our trip in took 4 hours, the trip out was 4 hours with 35 pound packs. We reclaimed the famous "last mile" or "lost mile" a section of the ski trail that was so dense in juniper plants that a person could not see the ground you were walking on. We were limited by our available daylight hours to complete the full trail markers repairs, but I am happy to report this this section is better flagged and marked than it has been in years. Hopefully I can get back into the McCrea South ski trail in May 2014 to flag some more trail and install more permanent markers.

Last edited by Andyh on November 9th, 2013, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 10:55 pm 

Just putting a note out there for the May 2014 McCrae Lake cleanup crew. I have a couple Swift Winisk canoes that I will make available for this clean weekend, for people who may want to help out but do not have their own canoe. My boats have both been repainted with a tough industrial scratch resistant paint, so I am not worried that someone else will damage the boat.

Anyway, as of this date (Nov 2013) I have two Swift Winisk fiberglass canoes, 17' 6" that I will make available at no charge for the 2014 cleanup. I plan to join the 2014 cleanup crew so call me in the spring. If one of these boats is sold between Nov 2013 and May 2014 then I will have another boat available as substitute.

Andy H.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2013, 1:32 am 

Thanks Andy H! And for those that like to plan ahead the dates are the weekend after Victoria Day and the weekend after Labour day but Ill be sure to tell Barbara a month in advance.
By the way I pulled out a full kitchen sink out of a site this year, nearly swamped the canoe...so we could use the Winisk.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2013, 7:02 am 

Gunnelbob:

Just putting a note on the file for Spring 2014 cleanup at McCrae Lake. Lynn and I also removed all the garbage from the firepit that is on the Five Winds trail (McCrae South) between the parking lot and Crow's Cliff. The firepit in question is about a ten minute walk from the parking lot. We cleaned all the cans and garbage out of it Sunday Nov 3. Perhaps we can jointly remember to bury the ash waste and rehap that pit before it becomes mixed with garbage again. Was a preety big eyesore for day hikers walking into Crow's Cliff.

Andy H.