View topic - Friends of McCrae Lake

It is currently December 5th, 2020, 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 11th, 2013, 3:31 pm 

Thanks Andy. While we tend to focus on the "campsites " ( I use quotations since some sites shouldnt be used as sites but they are) we have never gone in along the trail from the lot to the cliff as part of the clean up nor do the folks from the Toronto Police Youth groups either...so if anyone hikes the trail , yes please pitch in as we never get in that way.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2014, 4:50 am 

I would like to join the Barrie Canoe Club's cleanup crew at McCrea lake for the spring 2014 cleanup. I have a 17 foot Scott kevlar canoe. Sorry the two Swift Winisk Canoes are sold and gone. I am a BCKC member now. I will drop a note to the club throught the BCKC website tonight. Andy Hueton

PostPosted: May 14th, 2014, 9:23 pm 

I also have 16 foot 6 in Peregrine fiberglass canoe "beater boat" that has been acquired a leave behind when selling the cottage boat. It is a large volume Porspector type canoe. Will be great for heavy hauling metals, junk and dirty stuff on McCrae cleanup weekend, so we preserve people's nice canoes.

Andy

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2017, 6:49 am 

The semi annual (spring and fall) cleanup of McCrae Lake campsites is on for Sunday May 28. The cleanup is organized by the Barrie Canoe and Kayak Club. You do not need to be a BCKC member to join us on that day, however we will need you to sign a couple of waiver forms. Joining the cleanup this year will be a group from the Five Winds Backcountry Ski Club of Toronto, the group that maintains the hiking trails that are on the north side and south sides of McCrae Lake.

The cleanup day starts at the McCrae Lake parking lot at 9am. Cleanup group members, who are not members of the Barrie Canoe and Kayak Club are welcome, and will need to supply their own canoes. BCKC members can use the club's canoes, paddles and PFD's. For information to contact the organizers of the May 28 2017 cleanup day, go the the Barrie Canoe and Kayak Club's website at www.bckc.ca, clickon Trips (top right), click on summer trips, scroll down to May 28 McCrae lake and click on the Trips Sheet to get the organizer's email address. Group meetup time is 9am in the McCrae lake parking lot.

Like I said, we ask non BCKC cleanup people to supply their own canoe, paddle and pfd.
In a pinch , I personally can supply you with a canoe and a paddle (I am a member of both BCKC and Five Winds) , however I need a days advance notice so that I can have a canoe ready and loaded on my car.

A park ranger staff member of the MNR will be with us for the day. Please know that without the semi annual support of BCKC to do this cleanup, the MNR does not have the money to cleanup up McCrae lake campsites because park users pay no fees, so no cleanup budget. Without the twice yearly cleanup, the MNR would be forced to consider closing McCrae Lake access for camping.

Please consider helping us keep it beautiful and accessible for all. thanks

(you are welcome. We do it because we love the place too.)

Andy

PostPosted: August 13th, 2019, 7:21 pm 

The semi annual (spring and fall) cleanup of McCrae Lake campsites is on for Sunday May 28. The cleanup is organized by the Barrie Canoe and Kayak Club. You do not need to be a BCKC member to join us on that day, however we will need you to sign a couple of waiver forms. BCKC also issues invites to members of the Five Winds Backcountry Ski Club of Toronto, The Wilderness Canoe Association and we post an invite on Facebook under Ontario Hiking.

The cleanup day starts at the McCrae Lake parking lot at 9am.

Cleanup group members, who are not members of the Barrie Canoe and Kayak Club are welcome, and you may bring your own canoe. If you don't have a canoe, PFD, or paddle, please see this link:

https://bckc.ca/trip-sheets/summer-trip ... MClark.pdf

and contact the cleanup organizer, Marilyn Clark so that we can pair you with a BCKC member and put you in a canoe. If you want to bring a friend and you want to work with that friend for the day, we can do that. We usually pair two canoes together to clean a group of sites. For insurance reasons the BCKC requires that a BCKC member be in a BCKC canoe. We can't pair two non BCKC members alone in one of our canoes.

BCKC members can use the club's canoes, paddles and PFD's. For information to contact the organizers of the Sept 7 . 2019 cleanup day, click here:

https://bckc.ca/trip-sheets/summer-trip ... MClark.pdf

Group meetup time is 9am in the McCrae lake parking lot.

A park ranger staff member of the MECP (Ontario Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks ) will be with us for the day. Please know that without the semi annual support of BCKC to do this cleanup, the MNR does not have the money to cleanup up McCrae lake campsites because park users pay no fees, so no cleanup budget. Without the twice yearly cleanup, the MNR would be forced to consider closing McCrae Lake access for camping.

Please consider helping us keep it beautiful and accessible for all. thanks

(you are welcome. We do it because we love the place too.)

Andy

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2020, 7:44 am 

McCrae Lake campsite cleanup Saturday Sept 12, 2020 9am.

The next clean up of McCrae Lake CR will be held Saturday, September 12. Anyone who would like to assist can meet at 9 a.m. at the access parking lot.

Due to COVID, McCrae Lake has been heavily used this summer and there was no spring clean up. A friend has just returned from camping there and she said that the water is high, there is a pile of garbage at the access point (which we will ask the Township to pick up) and the sites need cleaning badly.

This is not an official BCKC trip this year. You will need your own boat and partner (I may be able to help if you don't have - contact me).

Please bring lunch and drinks. Take the usual precautions for any possible weather and poison ivy (e.g., raingear, hat/sunscreen, long pants, fleece, change of clothes in drybag, sturdy boots/shoes, etc.).

For the clean-up, please bring:
• gloves
• reaching tool
• green and clear bags
• bucket for glass
• small shovel/rake (opt.)

This is not an official BCKC trip this year. You will need your own boat and partner (we may be able to help if you don't have either a canoe or a partner. Please drop me a note you are coming so I can let the organizer, Marilyn Clark, plan the groups, but do come if it's a last minute decision, please just show up.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2020, 8:07 am 
CCR Site Administrator

I wonder if you wish to announce the clean up in some of the relevant facebook groups since there have been more than a few posts complaining about the amount of garbage encountered over the summer. I am sure that there are some people who would be interested in helping and read:
Ontario Backcountry Camping
Ontario Canoe Tripping
Ontario Backcountry Enthusiasts
Crown Land Camping Ontario

PostPosted: September 7th, 2020, 9:18 am 

I wonder if you wish to announce the clean up in some of the relevant facebook groups since there have
been more than a few posts complaining about the amount of garbage encountered over the summer. I
am sure that there are some people who would be interested in helping and read:
Ontario Backcountry Camping
Ontario Canoe Tripping
Ontario Backcountry Enthusiasts
Crown Land Camping Ontario

Can you please post links here to the Facebook groups complaining about the state of the campsitres at McCrae Lake as of summer 2020. even post links to specific messages complainuing about McCrae Lake garbage. One of us went looking for these messages and could not find them. We will then take the links and post a follow up message on Facebook. thanks.

Andy Hueton
for Barrie Canoe and Kayak Club
and Five Winds Backcountry Ski Club

PostPosted: September 7th, 2020, 10:11 am 
CCR Site Administrator

In Ontario Backcountry Camping;
https://www.facebook.com/groups/8220521 ... 106228449/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/8220521 ... 274208462/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/8220521 ... 881111525/

In Ontario Canoe Tripping;
https://www.facebook.com/groups/7534683 ... 319319028/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/7534683 ... 411367499/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/7534683 ... 285610875/

Jedi Jeffi just did this for you.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/7534683 ... 643554228/

In Ontario Backcountry Enthusiasts; Jedi Jeffi just did this for you.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5182865 ... 201175328/

In Crown Land Camping Ontario;
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9681417 ... 269961428/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9681417 ... 553965033/

PostPosted: September 7th, 2020, 3:59 pm 

I feel a bit ambivalent about this whole effort. It seems that as long as volunteers keep cleaning the pigs will keep littering. Maybe it needs to get so bad that those campers will stop coming. Maybe lots of signage at the sites might help a bit.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2020, 8:59 pm 

Thank you to all of you who just did the Facebook postings and links to help spread the work about the McCrae lake cleanup this coming weekend on September 12. I was just in there today on Monday Sept 7th and saw mixed results. Some sites. like the ones down at Crows Cliff were spotless clean, others like the one on the portage betwwen Chute Lake and McCrae lake were a mess. I took out a full 17 foot canoe load from just McDonald Lake and Chute Lake (the two lakes between the two portages) Some sites are clean because a couple of long term campers that I spoke to (they spent 21 days on one site and you couldn't even tell they did not just move in that day. the place was spotless) had cleaned the sites around them . I thanked them for being good back country ambassadors.

So the main cleanup in Sept 12 at 9am at the McCrae Lake parking lot. Please join us if you can.

Andy

PostPosted: September 8th, 2020, 6:15 am 

wotrock wrote:
I feel a bit ambivalent about this whole effort. It seems that as long as volunteers keep cleaning the pigs will keep littering. Maybe it needs to get so bad that those campers will stop coming. Maybe lots of signage at the sites might help a bit.

Sadly I feel the only way to improve the mess at McCrae is policing and to turn it into an operational area like The Massassaga is. If it weren't for the efforts of a few groups and several individuals, I can only imagine how much trash would be back there. But this has been discussed before and the authorities do not seem to be interested in remedying the problem.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2020, 10:27 am 

I posted it in 3 groups, 2 that I administer
Ontario Backcountry Enthusiats, Ontario Canoe tripping and Kayak Ontario.
I also linked it to here so they could get the contact info easier.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: September 10th, 2020, 9:46 am 

I spent a night on both lakes recently and I could not believe the amount of trash at the portage campsites. Full tents left over and canoe loads worth of cans and garbage. I took a few photos and as much trash as I could manage.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2020, 10:41 am 

Thanks for the photos atillak

I was personally up at McCrae this past Monday , Sept 7 and took away the rest of the trash on the waterfall portage campsite that you did not (the stuff in your recent photos) . While I was there, I met a family staying on a site on Chute Lake for two weeks who had spent some of their time cleaning all the other sites on that lake. All I had to do was load my canoe full of the cleaning up garbage. By these people who were there for two weeks, their campsite was spotless. Yes we are aware that there are lots bad apples, but also I am aware there are lots of good people like yourself who care a lot and helped this summer to make McCrae better than it would be. Thank you for your efforts.

Andy Hueton