View topic - Use of Non Operating Provincial Parks

It is currently February 21st, 2024, 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 11:01 am 

RocketRiver wrote:
This is a rule I plan to protest by camping any where in back country that was formerly a campsite, should I happen on a non operating park while running a river.

Prospective members of your team might object to being arrested. I would rethink that strategy.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 4:15 pm 

I have received a reply from MNR regarding the use of interior camp sites in the Shoals Provincial Park. What follows is their reply.

"Thank you for your email regarding The Shoals Provincial Park and specifically the Prairie Bee Access Point and backcountry campsites. As you are aware, the operating status for The Shoals Provincial Park was changed on April 1, 2013. However, over this past summer, Ontario Parks implemented a one-year pilot project at the Prairie Bee Access Point to keep the access road open for vehicles to Prairie Bee Lake and the backcountry campsites. Fees for parking and camping were applicable on a self-serve basis. This access point was open to vehicles from the May 17, 2013 to September 2, 2013.
Ontario Parks is currently reviewing the pilot success/challenges and has yet to make a decision for the 2014 season."

I am pleased to have heard back from the ministry, and personally, hope the pilot project has been favourable, from the Ministries perspective, and will continue in 2014.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 9:10 pm 

I can't see how they could close camping on non operating parks like the Lower Mad, or the non operating parks in N Ontario that clearly require more than day trips. If this is true it would not be inclusive of all non operating parks.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2013, 12:40 pm 

In the news this morning is Ontario's auditor general will release a report that includes an examination of MNR's ability to manage 334 provincial parks... the Toronto Star says their coverage begins at 3 PM today.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2013, 4:01 pm 

Visitors to Ontario must pay non-resident fees to camp overnight in a non-operating park. The question I have is, “Where does the money go?”

The auditor-general’s recent report suggests Ontario Parks lacks the wherewithall to properly manage its park system. Does the revenue collected for non-resident camping in non-operating parks get returned to Ontario Parks? Or, do these monies simply get funneled into the province’s general coffers to help pay to widen Highway 401.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2013, 11:35 am 

My understanding was that the non-resident Crown Land camping fees would go to help pay a share of the management of Crown Land (ex. forest fire fighting; Conservation Officers; etc.).

I cannot find this explanation on the MNR Crown Land camping website but I remember that explanation when the fee was introduced.

I understand that the fee from a non-resident Crown Land camping permit for use in a non-operating Provincial Park does not go to Ontario Parks.

Ontario Parks works on a revenue retention business model. I haven't done the homework on tracking the revenue from the sale of a Crown Land camping permit.

There are 3 ways that non-residents of Canada do not have to pay the Crown Land camping fee. 1) if they own property in Ontario (and are paying some form of property tax); 2) if 18 years of age or older and are renting a "camping unit" (a camping unit can be a tent) from a commercial outfitter in Ontario (therefore, they are supporting a business that is paying taxes in Ontario) ; and 3) staying overnight on a water craft anchored on a Crown Land water bed.

There also could be exemptions for charitable or not-for-profit organizations.