View topic - Kesagami River in the fall

It is currently February 21st, 2024, 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 9:05 pm 

Does anyone know if the Kesagami River will have good water levels in September?

I've heard a trip down the river can include a lot of dragging and I'm worried that there may be no good rapids in the fall.

I'm looking to paddle the river from the road to the bay, not just the park section from Kesagami Lake.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2013, 12:29 am 

Maybe yes or maybe no, check back in 6 or 7 months.

Generally water levels do come back up a bit in late September and early October.

Not a whole lot of good rapids in the upper river.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2013, 8:32 pm 

Thanks for the input. I suppose my main concern is endless dragging and/or portaging where the water could be low.

Has anyone done the Kesagami in Sep?

I know we can't predict the weather that causes a river to be high or low but I was hoping to get an idea for the rivers average Sep. levels.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2013, 6:09 pm 

If we had a fall like last year.
You can go here
http://www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/google_ ... rovince=ON
and compare flows.
Mid Sept. last year and good spring levels in Algoma.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: December 13th, 2013, 6:39 pm 

You could try contacting Kesagami Lake Lodge before you go and ask them about the lake levels, if the lake level is good the river should be alright, if the lake levels are very low it might be wise to avoid the river.

I haven't been on the lower river, the section upstream from Kesagami Lake will require plenty of liftovers even in high water, in low water it could be really bad. At least the bugs will not be an issue in September. Low water during bug season.......you couldn't drag me down that river at any price.

My impression is that below Kesagami Lake levels are not so critical but it's only an impression, no real experience on that particular route.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2013, 10:49 pm 

thanks all, it seems I'll have to wait and find out. I'm sure someone has paddled it in Sep. Regardless its navigability in the fall seems like it depends on the year.

Any ideas for a back up plan?

PostPosted: December 14th, 2013, 12:20 pm 

I did the upper Kesagami in 1996 at the end of July. At that time water levels were good all the way. We started at the Detour Lake road and flew back off the lake. Although the river is extremley small at the beginning ( you had to push the canoe through the tagalders ) It soon broadened out and made a nice peaceful paddle. I only paddled in because the lodge owner told me I couldn't. I flew out because the current would have been a little tiring in some spots. Every little rapids we went through my partner and I would say I give $5, 10, 20 dollars not to have to paddle back up that and by the time we got to the lake we had enough money set aside for the flight out.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2013, 11:09 pm 

nice, good story and good to know.