View topic - Too Early to Talk About Algonquin Ice-Out?

It is currently May 6th, 2021, 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: April 14th, 2019, 6:54 am 

Satellite imagery showed some open water on Lake Simcoe yesterday.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2019, 8:46 am 

Well this live cam shot of the Kawartha lakes tells a lot.
http://www.littlegullmarina.ca
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: April 19th, 2019, 8:57 am 

Big Hawk Marina in Haliburton reports 2 feet of ice and 3 feet of snow in the bush.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2019, 12:49 pm 

Fairy Lake in Huntsville looks like it could be ice free by the weekend. Last year it went out May 4th (before the smaller lakes in APP).

PostPosted: May 1st, 2019, 6:18 am 

This arrived in my inbox this morning.

"Hello!

Due to the late arrival of spring, Algonquin (Interior) Provincial Park will be delaying the opening date of the campgrounds until May 10th, 2019 (subject to change). As a result of the delayed opening, your reservation will need to be modified or cancelled. You may change your reservation with no penalty or cancel for a full refund by phone only. Please contact our call centre at 1-888-668-7275 to speak to a reservation agent for assistance. The call centre is open from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Eastern Time). Please provide the agent with your booking number for fast and efficient service."

PostPosted: May 1st, 2019, 8:28 am 

We have reservations for Killarney entering in this Sunday May 4th. Thus far, no warnings from Ontario Parks. Their website was last updated April 22 stating ice covered. MODIS looks like ice of as April 28th but April 30 all cloud covered and couldn't tell. We're going hell or high water even if we have to wait a couple of days of hard ground camping before entering soft water. Good luck to everyone waiting out the ice.

Ken

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2019, 8:26 pm 

All this rain is helping. (edit. With apologies to those effected by flooding) Big Hawk in HHWT down to 7" of ice today. More rain in the forecast tomorrow and warm weekend temps bode well.

2018 recap. Big Hawk ice out May 8, Opeongo ice out May 10.

A glimmer of hope that we'll be able to get in somewhere trouty next Wed.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2019, 11:33 am 

kgd wrote:
We have reservations for Killarney entering in this Sunday May 4th. Thus far, no warnings from Ontario Parks. Their website was last updated April 22 stating ice covered. MODIS looks like ice of as April 28th but April 30 all cloud covered and couldn't tell. We're going hell or high water even if we have to wait a couple of days of hard ground camping before entering soft water. Good luck to everyone waiting out the ice.

Ken

I'm heading up to Killarney tomorrow as well for hiking. If you hear any further updates please let me know.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2019, 7:10 pm 

campingoverglamping wrote:
kgd wrote:

Ken

I'm heading up to Killarney tomorrow as well for hiking. If you hear any further updates please let me know.

Good to go here in Killarney :) Staying in town tonight entering park tomorrow. Told George ice out a couple of days ago. :)

PostPosted: May 4th, 2019, 8:22 pm 

campingoverglamping wrote:
kgd wrote:

Ken

May the 4th be with you!

Algon still looks likeit might be icey on MODIS---at least Bernard is still covered.

From my limited experience, trout don't seem to bite until a week or 2 after ice-out.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2019, 8:30 pm 

Today's satellite images show Lake of Bays clear. Ice still on Opeongo, North Tea, Smoke Lake. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

PostPosted: May 5th, 2019, 4:26 pm 

kgd wrote:
Good to go here in Killarney :) Staying in town tonight entering park tomorrow. Told George ice out a couple of days ago. :)

Awesome! Will be up there in a couple days as well. Have a great trip!

PostPosted: May 5th, 2019, 8:06 pm 

Satellite imagery for APP wasn't promising so I pulled the plug on Opeongo for the 8th and committed to HHWT.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2019, 3:55 pm 

Today's sat pictures clearly show a lot of lakes including Opeongo still being ice covered. Assuming they stick with an 'all or none' backcountry opening as they have in recent years then there probably won't be any permits until at least Monday.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2019, 5:11 am 

Received an email that my reservation needed to be modified or canceled as interior campsites are closed until the 15th (subject to change). I guess I have a few phone calls to make today. I'm wondering if it's safe to book for the opening or if we should wait a few extra days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next